Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Strange noise from 4021 (DPA says mic is in working order)  (Read 1528 times)

Offline dank

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • cold irons bound
Strange noise from 4021 (DPA says mic is in working order)
« on: August 24, 2014, 02:42:37 PM »
Hi,
I recently bought a pair of used 4021s on the YS from blee421.  Upon arrival, one mic worked fine and the other caused the meters to flash extremely erraticly and clipping constantly.

The seller and I agreed I'd send to DPA to get them checked out and handle any repairs.  Well, while I was away Oscar from DPA emailed me letting me know the mics were in fine working order and were pretty closely matched, though not factory matched.

I was excited to hear this news until they came back and the same issue was present.

I'm back and have sent Oscar a note, and will follow up this week as I'm quite confused how he says they are fine and I have the same issue.

I have tried the mics directly into a Marantz 660 and a Tascam DR60D.

Would anyone be willing to download the below .zip and let me know what they think it could be?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gu9rkgmo5zptey4/4021.zip?dl=0

The clip ending in 8 is the 'bad' 4021 plugged into the DR60d w/ 48v phantom.  I did move the gain knob a bit which you can hear, but still the same issue.
The clip ending in 9 is the other 4021 plugged into the DR60d w/ 48v phantom recording the same source I had in front of the other mic (a Tom Petty song playing from my smartphone).
(both recorded through the same XLR, channel 1).

Curious if anyone with more expertise than myself may've heard a similar sound sample and may be able to help me figure out what's wrong (connection issue, grounding, etc.?). Since the same happens on multiple recorders, has to be in the mic someplace.

As I said, I'll reconnect with Oscar tomorrow but I would imagine if he got satisfactory results with his test equipment, I'd be surprised if he would be reproduction this problem if I sent them back - which is very odd.

Any advice or opinions are greatly appreciated.  Looking to put these babies to work!
Mics: DPA 4021, AT 933, AKG CK31, CK32
Pre:  Sonosax SX-M2
Recorders: Oade ACM PMD660, Tascam DR-60D, Tascam DR-2D, Sony PCM-M10[x2]
DIME List: http://www.dimeadozen.org/account-details.php?id=919941

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.044 seconds with 26 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com