Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Update on Using Iphone as a recording device?  (Read 9303 times)

Offline Zeke

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Update on Using Iphone as a recording device?
« on: September 22, 2014, 10:33:02 AM »
Howdy.

I haven't been taping much and so it's been quite a while since I have frequented the forum.  I did a search, including a google search of the forum.

So, Steve Jobs is dead (RIP) and I'm seeing various recording interfaces for iphones, but none exactly what I'm looking for.

My current and OLD recording rig, is an iRiver H140 running rockbox, and a pair of sennheiser capsules with battery box.  So what I'd like, is to be able to phase out my ailing iRiver and replace it with either my new-ish Iphone 5 or older 4S.

My iRiver needs a battery, and the charging jack is intermittent, the last few times I've tried to tape a show I've run out of battery.

So is anyone using an iPhone with either homebuilt/commercially available interface?  And is there any interface available with 1/8" stereo in for my capsule mics?

Thanks!
GEAR:  Microphone Madness MM-HLSC-1 > MM Battery Box (minty fresh) > iRiver H160 w/Rockbox

Offline fotoralf.be

• Taperssection Regular
    • fotoralf.be
Re: Update on Using Iphone as a recording device?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 04:25:44 PM »
Numerous retailers are currently closing out the Tascam iXJ2 a stereo interface with line and mic inputs that will work with your iPhone 4 but not the 5.
Photography and industrial audioscapes from Western Europe. - Sound examples: http://aporee.org/maps/projects/fotoralf - Blog (German): http://the-real-fotoralf.blogspot.com

Offline achalsey

• Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 09:30:51 PM »
I can't seem to find the thread about it, but I've heard replacing the battery on the iRiver is not particularly complicated.

I think most people would agree that its probably just best to get a new handheld recorder.  Sony M10 is a very popular favorite.  Roland R-05.  Tascam DR-05 is pretty cheap.  Tascam DR-2d does 4 channels.

Thats not really much help for what you looking for, but thought it might be something to think about.

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 11:00:44 PM »
I'd be concerned about the reliability of an iPhone as a recording device. I know when I'm at a big show my battery takes a beating on my phone since there are so many other phones around. At the very least I would turn your phone on airplane mode when you're recording to save the battery.

||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline Zeke

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 09:19:49 AM »
Numerous retailers are currently closing out the Tascam iXJ2 a stereo interface with line and mic inputs that will work with your iPhone 4 but not the 5.

Thanks for that.  Might look around for some info on sound quality on that.
GEAR:  Microphone Madness MM-HLSC-1 > MM Battery Box (minty fresh) > iRiver H160 w/Rockbox

Offline Jhurlbs81

• Trade Count: (20)
    • My LMA collection
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2014, 09:29:18 AM »
I'd be concerned about the reliability of an iPhone as a recording device. I know when I'm at a big show my battery takes a beating on my phone since there are so many other phones around. At the very least I would turn your phone on airplane mode when you're recording to save the battery.

I'd also recommend this since you'll be taking an unbalanced signal.  You could get interference from the cellular chip.
FREE JERRYFREAK!

Offline Zeke

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2014, 10:54:38 AM »
I can't seem to find the thread about it, but I've heard replacing the battery on the iRiver is not particularly complicated.

I think most people would agree that its probably just best to get a new handheld recorder.  Sony M10 is a very popular favorite.  Roland R-05.  Tascam DR-05 is pretty cheap.  Tascam DR-2d does 4 channels.

Thats not really much help for what you looking for, but thought it might be something to think about.

Thanks.  Yes, I swapped out the harddrive some years back to a 60g drive, my 40g was getting noisy at the time, and I was having trouble finding 40giggers......  What worries me most, is that the charge jack is getting wonky, and though I'm competent with a soldering iron, the board is all "surface mount" components, and so I'm nervous about applying heat.  Perhaps I should just back up my data and go for it.  It's just too bad they didn't charge thru the USB port, then we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Other things -

I've always been satisfied with recordings for the most part, but it only records up to 16/44 PCM.

I LOVE ROCKBOX!  In case you're not aware, rockbox is an open source OS for music players.  It is superior to the stock UIs that came with players from the mid-2000s.  At that time, there wasn't really any affordable portable recorders that had any appreciable storage, and that's when the Iriver became a star.... 

So I've become addicted to the features that rockbox offers for recording - I've got the pre-record set at an OUTRAGEOUS 30 seconds, so if I'm taping and I'm at the bar or set up on a balcony or something, I have plenty of time to get to my rig if the band happens to start up unexpectedly.  And the recording level "safeties" are great for automatically reducing level in a subtle way if it gets loud without warning.

Not seeing that in other recorders, they should definitely all check it out - probably have.....

I've looked at the Sony, that does look really nice.  I'm guessing the ability to customize that interface is not there.....  But could be the way to move forward.

Offline Zeke

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2014, 10:57:16 AM »

I'd also recommend this since you'll be taking an unbalanced signal.  You could get interference from the cellular chip.

Yes, for sure this would be necessary - the phone ringing would interrupt the recording anyway, so that would be a given.

My iphone, when I had ATT, would regularly blast signal interference thru my bass guitar rig at practice, at gigs, on recordings.......   So had to turn it off always.

Offline Zeke

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2014, 11:46:01 AM »
Back to the Iphone....

I've been really impressed with the quality and sound of apps out there so far.  I've got a bunch of music apps, from synth apps to Roland 808 emulators to percussion and guitar, bag pipes, and even tabla / tanpura.

So, seems like doing the recording itself is a no-brainer, with the right interface.

Here's one that I found from Centrance called the MixerFace http://centrance.com/products/mixerface/

But at $699, I think this guy thinks he's appealing to audiophiles, not real musicians and live recording buffs.

I'm also not opposed to an Android-based device - in general, they are more "open" with their architecture, which lends itself to less-expensive kinds of technology.

Oh wow!  it looks like rockbox is in the process of doing a port to an android app.  That would be cool!

I'll have to do some investigation to see if anyone has done recording with it.  In the meantime, if you are aware of any apps/interface on the Android side, please let me know.

Thanks and Regards,

Zeke

Offline Gene Poole

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2014, 12:22:08 PM »
I'm also not opposed to an Android-based device - in general, they are more "open" with their architecture, which lends itself to less-expensive kinds of technology.

Oh wow!  it looks like rockbox is in the process of doing a port to an android app.  That would be cool!

I'll have to do some investigation to see if anyone has done recording with it.  In the meantime, if you are aware of any apps/interface on the Android side, please let me know.

Thanks and Regards,

Zeke

I've been using USB Audio Recorder PRO experimentally for a while, but just recorded my first full gig last weekend:

I ran KM-184s > Denecke PS2 > Mackie Pre > Transit USB > Android Nexus5 @24/96.

I ran a backup: AT853s > Microtrack 2469.

Offline Len Moskowitz (Core Sound)

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Core Sound
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2014, 01:02:10 PM »
I've been using USB Audio Recorder PRO experimentally for a while, but just recorded my first full gig last weekend:

Gonna keep us in suspense about how it turned out?
Len Moskowitz
Core Sound
www.core-sound.com

Offline bonghitwillie

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2014, 01:53:21 PM »
one nice thing about smart phones at concerts is that it is easier to check levels while stealth recording. everyone has a smart phone and they are constantly checking them. security does not know the difference between a smart phone and an r09 in the dark.

Offline Gene Poole

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2014, 06:08:28 PM »

Sorry, I thought I'd mentioned it in my post, but it does seems to leave you hanging.  As far as the rig, everything was fine.  The only issue was poor planning on my part.  24/96 eats copious amounts of storage space.  I had to pull the Android out of the chain and spend 15 minutes or more transferring files to external storage to make space for the remaining sets.  Missed the first few songs of a set because of this.  The Nexus 5 has no provisions for an extra SD card for storage unlike most other Android devices.

On the plus side, the android uses ext4 partitioning internally and has no 4GiB limit on files.  One of my recordings ended up at just under 6GiB and had to be imported as raw PCM to work with audacity (skipping 44 bytes of header).  In retrospect, I should have chosen the flac option for storage over wav in the app.

Offline Zeke

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2014, 09:41:09 PM »
one nice thing about smart phones at concerts is that it is easier to check levels while stealth recording. everyone has a smart phone and they are constantly checking them. security does not know the difference between a smart phone and an r09 in the dark.

Yeah, that's what I thought, though I've only stealthed a few times....  What I like about it mostly, is that I already have one, and my current recorder needs work....

I confirmed with guys at rockbox that their "port" to Android app doesn't support recording, which is a bummer but understandable.  I've become dependent on the 30 secs of prerecord, but then again, for a two band show, it's really not a big deal to let the tape roll either if I'm set up on a balcony or something where it's tough to get to in a hurry.

Been considering fixing up my Iriver H140 though, needs a battery, might upgrade to SSD drive, and needs repair to the power supply input.  Hmmm

Offline Zeke

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2014, 09:52:58 PM »

Sorry, I thought I'd mentioned it in my post, but it does seems to leave you hanging.  As far as the rig, everything was fine.  The only issue was poor planning on my part.  24/96 eats copious amounts of storage space.  I had to pull the Android out of the chain and spend 15 minutes or more transferring files to external storage to make space for the remaining sets.  Missed the first few songs of a set because of this.  The Nexus 5 has no provisions for an extra SD card for storage unlike most other Android devices.

On the plus side, the android uses ext4 partitioning internally and has no 4GiB limit on files.  One of my recordings ended up at just under 6GiB and had to be imported as raw PCM to work with audacity (skipping 44 bytes of header).  In retrospect, I should have chosen the flac option for storage over wav in the app.

Thanks.  That's cool, I'm digging the concept.  I would want my rig just a bit more simple and compact, if possible.  I'm currently running 1/8" stereo batt box with my card mics.  Hadn't really thought about it till revisiting my rig, that it might be time to upgrade to an outboard A/D converter.....  Then I could do 24/96.  On the Iriver, I can do optical line in, which is cool......

On that rig, are you using outboard A/D converter?  If so, do you control mic levels on the preamp or on the phone?  I guess I'm a little ignorant of that sort of set up.

So many options!!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com