Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Favorite preamp for AKG's?  (Read 15481 times)

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
Re: Favorite preamp for AKG's?
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2015, 09:17:02 AM »
When I was running my UA-5 Oade warm+ mod, I loved the AKG's paired with this preamp. I then picked up a Littlebox in the YS, and was pleased to fine I liked the Littlebox even more than the UA-5. I recently picked up a Tascam DR-60D and because it can provide phantom power, I decided to try it out without any preamp in front of it. Very pleased and have actually considered selling my Littlebox. The UA-5 is already with another taper.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline JimmieC

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2015, 01:41:24 PM »
I was sitting around a couple weeks ago and was wondering how I was going to record Dr. John (first low pro).  I had the stereo cranked up.  I ran my AKG ck61 with Naiant couplers and switched out the phantom powers from V2, littlebox, DR680, and DR100-mkii.  I liked the V2 better, may be because I'm more used to it.  Also, probably not the best way to compare and contrast.  I put the AKG 460 in the chain to and loved that.  It was a great chance to try different mic configurations (PAS, ORTF, DIN, and DINa) too.   
OH Grown
Mic:AKG C460B(CK61)/HM1000(CK32/CK47), Naiant Couplings/PFA, ADK-TL; Preamp:Lunatec V2, Naiant Littlebox v1.5; Rec:Tascam DA-P1/DR-100mkii/DR-680; Cable:GAKcables; Bar:Shure A27M, Robb Bar 23-cm, it-goes-to-eleven DINa Active Bar, GAK 3' Bar; Mount:Shure A53M, Audix MC-MICRO; Clamp:AKG K&M 237, Photek Grip Clamp w/Manfrotto 042; Stand: Manfrotto Alu Master 3 Riser 12' AC Stand/122B, Lowel Full Pole; Battery:18000mah Universal Lithium Battery; Playback:laptop>Schiit Modi>Yamaha HTR5890>Klipsch Synergy F2. My recordings on LMA

adrianf74

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2015, 02:20:23 PM »
I've always liked the pairing of V2 or V3 and AKG 46x/48x.   But maybe that's just me. 

Offline rodeen

• Trade Count: (34)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Harmonica Man!
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2015, 06:04:01 PM »
I always like the way AKG 48x's sounded with the MiniMe or any other Apogee product.
"It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"
[LMA]: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22odeen%22&sort=-date

Offline obaaron

• Trade Count: (48)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Wide Awake in San Diego!
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2015, 08:56:00 PM »
Ive been running mine with either LB or TB....haven't had a chance to get to many shows this year with a newborn/infant so haven't run them with the MP-2 or FP-24 yet but will be next show I go to.  Have been very pleased with the akg>LB combo though.  I need to try >dr-60d as well maybe wont need an external?!
Mics:  Gefell M20,M21- sms2000/nbob | Schoeps MK4V;MK4- cmc1L/cmc6/nbob | AKG ck1,3,8,22;ck61,62,63,69- c460b/c480b/Naiant/nbob actives | Neumann KM140/150 | AT853, AT933 | CA-11 | DPA 4022 (on loan)
Pres: Naiant Littlebox | Tinybox | BMod Edirol UA-5 | Church ST-9200
Recorders:  Zoom F8 | Tascam DR-680 | Tascam DR-60D | Sony PCM-M10
Video: Canon VIXIA HF R42

**ISO** -   Schoeps mk22 matched pair | Neumann Ak43 pair

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2015, 07:55:25 AM »
Have you thought about changing your cables out? I ran dogstars for a few runs and they seemed too "bright" to me.
The oade pairing is a good bet too. But I don't ever see anyone stick with that setup for a long time.
Everyone I knew who ran it, only did it for a while and moved on to something else. My only point to everyone always saying great things about it is
 if its that great, why not stick with it?

I stuck with Oade boxes for years, I had a 248 for a while then had Doug build me a 148. At the time I was running Schoeps & AKG's, Doug did something specific for my 148 that he felt made them sound better with the AKG's. After running that for a while Doug contacted me when after he nodded his first FR2 & told me he could get it to sound like a 148. I bought the mod FR2, kept the 248 & 148 then sold them finally to fund the Aeta since it was big bucks at the time or I never would have sold the preamps. When modded decks became popular most went to those, changing the demand for external preamps. I think those that still have the Oade pre's keep them, I don't think Doug has done repairs to them in years so if one fails you may be out of luck. They sound good, if he was still building them more people would have them & use them IMO.
Wasn't calling you out Carl, maybe it sounded like I was.
It's funny you say that; I was thinking of how the flow went. Seemed like a flavor of the month thing there for a minute.
Don't even see bricks in the signal chain anymore in most torrents I see posted. I'm sure ppl have theirs still but they are collecting dust.
No worries, I didn't take it as if you were calling me out. I think it's really just a matter of timing. Before this board started a lot of us were on the Oade board, obviously most of us ran Oade preamps. I think if Doug was still on the bench like he was back then you'd see more of his products in sources but it was a long time ago, a lot of those guys aren't active tapers anymore & you can't buy a new Oade preamp today so unless someone is willing to sell theirs you're out of luck. Along those same lines it will be interesting to see how the Littlebox does in 10 years, my guess is the same fate as Oade preamps unfortunately. I personally appreciate & support the boutique builders like Oade, Niant & Aerco but as time marches on these guys can only do it for so long. Especially as technology advances & supplies of key compenents dwindle. End of rant   :D
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2015, 05:11:17 PM »
If anyone is selling a lb or tb lmk, I have someone interested in one and mine are not going anywhere
That said, I did cut my lb (actually lb > m10) out of the chain with the dr-60d.
I will say the lb > m10 was slightlllllly better sounding but not enough that it kept me from selling the m10
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline Crumbo

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2015, 05:39:15 PM »
will

I still have a midbox for sale
lmk if you need details
Mics: AKG ck63
Cables: nBob actives
Preamp: nbox platinum II
Recorders:  Sony PCM-M10, Edirol R-05

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2015, 06:55:39 PM »
will

lmk if you need details
I'll tell him, I think he really is looking for a tb though
You might actually know him too
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Marshall7

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2015, 12:26:30 AM »
will

lmk if you need details

What kind of specs/configuration is it?

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2015, 08:53:07 AM »
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)

Offline rockymtnryan

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2015, 11:08:26 AM »
Didn't realize the LB's weren't available new anymore. Interesting.

I have seen more of the DR-60's in the field and they really sound nice.  The DR70 seems like a great 4 channel option for the price, but the one thing that I really don't like about that deck is the fact that the XLR inputs for channels 1-3 are on the left side of the box, and channel 4 is on the right.  Pretty random design from Tascam.
AKG CK61-ULS > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II
AKG CK63-ULS > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2015, 05:02:51 PM »
Weird, but wouldn't be a deal breaker for cheap 4 channels of P48.  If you run stubbied XLR's shouldn't be a problem.

Didn't realize the LB's weren't available new anymore. Interesting.

I have seen more of the DR-60's in the field and they really sound nice.  The DR70 seems like a great 4 channel option for the price, but the one thing that I really don't like about that deck is the fact that the XLR inputs for channels 1-3 are on the left side of the box, and channel 4 is on the right.  Pretty random design from Tascam.
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Marshall7

« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2015, 07:57:29 PM »

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2015, 09:40:41 PM »
Yep, that is what you need - more gear.  ;D

Link to LMA Recordings

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.1 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com