Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Good read on dithering with audio examples  (Read 3298 times)

Offline Matt Quinn

• No Ceilings
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • beep boop
Good read on dithering with audio examples
« on: March 09, 2015, 12:04:53 PM »
Came across this today, thought it may be of interest to some folks here. Everything this guy writes is worth reading IMO. He's owned his own self built mastering business for 15 years, and he's written a bunch of practical guides to mixing, mastering, etc. Tremendous free resource.

https://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=214124

A few years ago I produced some audio examples of different types of dither, so that people could more easily hear what dither does and what a couple of different dithering options sound like. As there are even more options for dithering algorithms these days, I figured it was time to update my examples and talk a little bit about what seems to be one of the more confusing aspects of music production for people. You can download all of the audio examples and graphs I’ll be talking about here:

http://innerportalstudio.com/new-dither-examples/

For these examples, I used a 24bit sample of a ride cymbal with some reverb applied. I then converted this to 16bit wav files in various DAWs using the dithering options they offer. Specifically:

- Rectangular, Triangular, POW-r1, POW-r2, POW-r3 from Ableton Live 9.

- The only dithering option in Presonus Studio One.

- UV22HR from Apple Logic Pro X, though it also offers the same POW-r options that Live does.

- Goodhertz dithering from Audiofile Engineering Triumph.

In addition, I also created a 16bit wav file version using no dithering at all, this is called truncating.

The next step was to cut off the all but the very end of the reverb tails of these files, and normalize the remaining portion to -0.5dBFS. This was done because dither noise is extremely quiet, with all but it’s very peaks around -96dBFS, well below the noise floor of most playback equipment. Boosting only the tails of the audio files allowed me to raise the overall level of the files to make the dither noise itself audible at normal listening volumes. These files are located in the folder called “Dithered Ride Tails”.

I recommend listening to the truncated version first, so you can hear what it is we’re trying to achieve with dithering in the first place. At the very end of the truncated sample, you can hear what sounds like digital noise as the least significant bit toggles on and off trying to replicate the very quiet end of the reverb fading out to silence. By adding dither noise, we make this last little bit of fade out much smoother and more natural sounding, at the expense of a very tiny bit of noise.

Remember, in these examples I’ve boosted this noise A LOT just to make it audible, in normal use, it’s so quiet as to be almost completely inaudible. Plus there’s some tricks with dithering to reduce how much of it we hear even more, which I’ll talk about shortly.

I included the full length ride samples without trimming or normalizing as well, in case anyone wants them to hear how dither sounds in more real world situation. You’ll find them in the folder called “Original Rides”. Though I highly doubt that many people will be able to hear the dither at all, even on what is arguably one of these best examples for demonstrating it’s purpose. It’s just extremely quiet, just imagine trying to hear it on a full mix!

In addition to the ride cymbal sample, I also created a 24bit sample of nothing but silence. This was also converted to 16bit using the above dithering options, but in this case it was so I could provide FFT analyzer images of just the dithering noise itself for visual comparison. I used DMG Audio’s Dualism plug-in for the FFT analysis. The scale was set from 20Hz to 20kHz, and from 0 to -144dBFS (effectively 24bits) to make the shape of the dithering algorithms easier to see. Keep in mind that a 16bit file has only a range to -96dBFS when you look at the graphs, so anything below that will be discarded. All the graphs are unsurprisingly located in the folder labeled “Graphs”, and you can see them on my site:

http://innerportalstudio.com/new-dither-examples/

Why are they shaped differently? That’s one of the tricks I mentioned earlier, and it’s called noise-shaping. Rather boring and predictable name, I know. Since our ear is most sensitive around the 2kHz range, the dither noise in the various algorithms is created to be stronger in the frequencies away from this sensitive area. Most of the time it’s boosted way up by 20kHz, beyond the range of most human hearing, but the actual shape and slope of the boost varies depending the algorithm.

Each manufacturer has what they consider the ideal way of doing this, sometimes, in the case of POW-r, with different options for different kinds of music. You can hear this in the subtle tonality of the noise in some of the different dither examples, as well as seeing the exact shape in the graphs I provided. Some of the options like Ableton’s Triangular and Rectangular dithers are almost perfectly flat, however that doesn't mean they are less effective.

Ideally this gives the producer the flexibility to choose the dithering that best suits their material on a song by song basis. But again, this noise is so incredibly quiet that for most music, you’ll never hear it. Which is ideal anyway, as dither was created to be as inaudible as possible in the first place. I’ll admit that as a mastering engineer, even I rarely audition different dithers, since with most material there’s no audible difference anyway.

Once in awhile I’ll get a very dynamic song with lots of quiet passages, certain ambient or even orchestral songs fit this category. In those cases I might try out a few different dithering options, though even then the differences can be almost impossible to hear, even in my studio.

The point of all this is make you realize that while dithering does fulfill a useful role in the audio production process, it’s arguably the least important aspect and isn’t something people should worry too much about. Certainly add dither if you can when you’re rendering your mixdown or master to a 16bit file at the end of the writing process, but don’t lose sleep over which dithering option is the best. The differences are incredibly subtle, even to those people with well-trained hearing, and in almost all cases the dither is so far below the noise floor of any playback chain that no one will hear what dither you used, or even if you used it at all.

I hope this helped you not only understand why we use dither, but also highlight some of the differences in the various options available to us.

Peace and beats,
Tarekith
In: AT853>PMD620
Out: PC>MOTU Ultralite AVB>M-Audio BX8a/Grace m900

DAW: Ableton Live 10

My LMA Recordings

Offline Matt Quinn

• No Ceilings
  • beep boop
Re: Good read on dithering with audio examples
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 12:07:51 PM »
...and the link to his various guides. I've bolded guides of particulat interest to tapers.

http://innerportalstudio.com/guides/

Mixdowns (PDF)

Mastering Your Own Tracks (PDF)

Arranging Songs (PDF)

Dynamics Control (compression, limiting, etc) (PDF)

Playing Live (PDF)

Chasing Inspiration (PDF)

Creating Transitions & Fills (PDF)

Digital Levels and Metering (PDF)

Working With Other Musicians (PDF)

Creating Space and Depth in Music (PDF)
In: AT853>PMD620
Out: PC>MOTU Ultralite AVB>M-Audio BX8a/Grace m900

DAW: Ableton Live 10

My LMA Recordings

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 12:37:06 PM »
The snippet above seems well grounded and well written.  I'll check out his guides when I get a chance.

I agree with his conclusion-

"The point of all this is make you realize that while dithering does fulfill a useful role in the audio production process, it’s arguably the least important aspect and isn’t something people should worry too much about. Certainly add dither if you can when you’re rendering your mixdown or master to a 16bit file at the end of the writing process, but don’t lose sleep over which dithering option is the best. The differences are incredibly subtle, even to those people with well-trained hearing, and in almost all cases the dither is so far below the noise floor of any playback chain that no one will hear what dither you used, or even if you used it at all."

Good old standard triangular-dither is fine for me in most cases.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 09:38:14 AM »
I'll take it further, after my post above I considered editing it to add something like this-

I have yet to see a recording of live music where the level of the noise-floor of the recording has not been sufficiently high enough to completely swamp any perception of the dither used, making the choice between various noise-shaped dithers irrelevant for pretty much any of the recording discussed here at TS. 

One cannot draw any conclusions from amplifying the dither level enough to where differences are audible.  Doing so is changing the game entirely, like expecting to hear the Beatles upon cue'ing up a live recording of the Stones.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Gene Poole

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 11:00:45 AM »
Sox has some dithering algorithms I've used, but don't know how they stack up against others.  I generally use the e-weighted dither but can't really tell a difference with any of them WRT the music I record.

http://sox.sourceforge.net/SoX/NoiseShaping

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2015, 02:03:09 PM »
When I browse through the subject lines of ts.com, this thread shows as 'good read on dithering'.  I thought it was gonna be about hanging out at the mall.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2015, 05:06:32 PM »
^^
An alternate form of dithering.

Related trivia- original connection to the digital audio definition of 'dither' can be traced back to mechanical WWII era bomb-sight calculators used in British bombers, which worked correctly in flight as the mechanics of the calculating devices were 'dithered' by way of vibration from the engines, although they curiously did not work as predictably and repeatedly on the ground with the engines off and the calculation devices 'unlubricated' without the constant vibration.   The first 'dither noise' was the not-so-quiet roar of high-horsepower aircraft piston engines.

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2015, 08:31:11 PM »
I have yet to see a recording of live music where the level of the noise-floor of the recording has not been sufficiently high enough to completely swamp any perception of the dither used, making the choice between various noise-shaped dithers irrelevant for pretty much any of the recording discussed here at TS.

Agreed.  Think about it.  Most of this dithering is happening at down around -96db.  At a typical "rock concert", if I normalize in post to 0, the crowd chatter between songs comes in at maybe -30db. A really polite crowd is like -66db; that's just people breathing and it's still about 1000x louder than -96.
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline easyed

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • get your Jam in the Can
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2015, 01:33:17 PM »
I found this very useful in understanding dither: http://downloads.izotope.com/guides/izotope-dithering-with-ozone.pdf
Beyerdynamic CK-930s > Naiant Tinybox or Littlebox > Sony PCM-M10 or
DPA 4061's > Core Sound Battery Box > Sony PCM-M10 or
matrix: Sound Devices 744T or
multitracking: Audient ASP008 preamps > JoeCo Blackbox BBR1B

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.061 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com