Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Reliable cheap desktop recommendations?  (Read 4316 times)

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • 😈
Reliable cheap desktop recommendations?
« on: June 27, 2015, 12:04:41 PM »
So my picky wife decided she really just wants a new PC and not a laptop to replace our dying HP. Open to returns, just want something fast that will last, with modest storage abilities. 300-350? All in one or tower, doesn't matter. Thanks!!
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline chinariderstl

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • https://chris-finn.com/
Re: Reliable cheap desktop recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2015, 01:18:32 PM »
So, I've said this before and I'll say it again, Dell US has an official Refurbished store on eBay; I buy all my towers and all the towers for family members through their refurb store. They are all refurbed by Dell and come with a money back warranty.

If you go with the Optiplex line, they are business class machines, a step up from consumer grade. I swear by the Optiplex line. Throw a new Seagate or SanDisk SSD in there and you're golden!

http://m.ebay.com/sch/dell-official-store-usa-refurbished/m.html?_pgn=1
Mics: Audio-Technica AT853's, Avantone CK-40 (Busman mod), Busman BSC1's, DPA 4022's, DPA 4060's
Pres: Apogee Mini-MP, Core Sound Battery Box
Decks: Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-2D, Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)
Power: Initial RB-270, Naztech PB15000
LMA: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Chris+Finn%22

Offline MakersMarc

• 😈
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2015, 02:22:18 PM »
Thanks!

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline MakersMarc

• 😈
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 11:19:25 AM »
Thanks Ben!

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 12:43:53 AM »
You could build a computer. I'd recommend intel processor and 8 gigs of ram with a small sized ssd for OS and then a larger HDD for your files. What OS are you installing?
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 12:52:35 PM »
I've been really impressed with the intel NUC I put together a year and a half ago and use primarily as a home theater pc (high resolution TV and blue-ray rip playback)  -- it's a very small form factor pc (smaller than a mac mini) that I added a mSATA hard drive to along with 16 gb of ram.  It comes with wired network connectivity and accepts a bluetooth/wifi card too (along with a fine-for-htpc integrated video and audio).  That maxes out its interior space, but it has a number of usb3 ports for high speed peripherals. 

It's been surprisingly fast, stable and quiet for me and provides exactly what I need computer-wise without taking up any real space.  The usb3 ports provide surprisingly versatile expandability and speed.

You need to be comfortable with basic hardware setup (plugging in ram and the hard drive) and intermediate windows installation (it requires a fair # of NUC-specific drivers to be installed before it has network/internet connectivity) but it's proven to be a very stable and surprisingly fast pc. 

There are a variety of horsepower options available (i3-i7 intel chips) -- happy to elaborate if of interest.

Offline MakersMarc

• 😈
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2015, 11:11:27 AM »
Thanks all!

Offline wharfratjoe

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2015, 12:10:25 PM »
just in case you need another place to check:

http://www.microcenter.com/
MBHO440, AKG C568EB, AKG 414, AKG 460/CK61, SP LSD2
Zoom H6 x2, Zoom H4n
Edirol UA-5 x2

ilduclo

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2015, 09:04:21 AM »
I just got a refurb Lenovo desktop for my wife from the Lenovo site. Good configuration i5, 500 gb  decent price. Their web ordering was pretty bad, though.  I even had to call to be told  that their payment system would take a straight PayPal order, but it wouldn't anyway, I paid 500 for it with a new MS Office add on.  About 300$ cheaper than a new local build shop

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2015, 01:18:19 AM »
I've been really impressed with the intel NUC I put together a year and a half ago and use primarily as a home theater pc (high resolution TV and blue-ray rip playback)  -- it's a very small form factor pc (smaller than a mac mini) that I added a mSATA hard drive to along with 16 gb of ram.

Yes, the nuc is really great. I'm anxious to see what models intel will have later this year for the nuc.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2015, 01:18:54 AM »
You could build a computer. I'd recommend intel processor and 8 gigs of ram with a small sized ssd for OS and then a larger HDD for your files. What OS are you installing?

This man obviously doesn't know Marc.   ;D

nope, sorry, sure don't.  ???

Offline MakersMarc

• 😈
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2015, 02:13:18 PM »
The average five year old is more tech savvy...... :facepalm: :D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com