Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Recording on a phone  (Read 4141 times)

Offline Jonmac

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Recording on a phone
« on: August 10, 2015, 03:55:04 PM »
When watching the news on TV, I often notice that many BBC local radio reporters are recording interviews on phones.

Does anyone know what software they are using, is there a standard app issued by the BBC for the job ?

Zoom H1, Zoom H2, Zoom H6, Tascam DR-40, Tascam Dr-05, Homebrew mic's, C2 Cardioids

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
Re: Recording on a phone
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 07:36:20 PM »
Can't speak for the "Beeb" but there are several iOS recoding apps, one example is Hindenburg Field Recorder.
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

df

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 08:56:29 PM »
I'm using Apogee Meta Recorder for iPhone and Auria with iPad.

Offline Jonmac

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 08:43:22 AM »
Thanks for the replies, I have an Android phone with Rec Forge, but it doesn't allow live headphone monitoring, so you can't monitor what the microphone is picking up.

Does anyone know of an Android app that allows monitoring ?

Zoom H1, Zoom H2, Zoom H6, Tascam DR-40, Tascam Dr-05, Homebrew mic's, C2 Cardioids

df

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 08:55:24 AM »
Thanks for the replies, I have an Android phone with Rec Forge, but it doesn't allow live headphone monitoring, so you can't monitor what the microphone is picking up.

I'm not sure, Auria is more of a 'pro' type app you can record and mix up to 32 or 64 tracks.  You might want to check out something like the Apogee/Sennheiser mini headphone amp?

edit) nevermind, that's an omni clip on mic with a good quality DAC.  Apogee One is the headphone amp/dac.

this article is almost a year old, but might be a good resource for you.

http://www.junauza.com/2014/09/best-android-apps-for-recording-and-editing-music-on-the-go.html
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 09:01:18 AM by df »

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 12:43:45 PM »

Hindenburg Field Recorder app for iOS allows for headphone monitoring while recording, don't know if the app is cross platform so no idea if its available for droid.
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline Jonmac

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 04:15:49 PM »

Hindenburg Field Recorder app for iOS allows for headphone monitoring while recording, don't know if the app is cross platform so no idea if its available for droid.

I had a look at that but they don't do an Android version.

Offline dominicperry

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2015, 01:54:04 PM »
iOS has its own implementation of Core Audio (as used in Mac OS), which is capable of pretty low latency (2-3ms), hence the ability to monitor directly on an iPhone. Android has been behind the curve on this for a while, although I think there were moves to improve things. But that's the main reason why there are so many audio apps for iPhone and iPad - the OS supports audio in a good way.

I still use an Apogee interface for much closer to zero latency (it's a 'digital' zero, rather than my preferred 'analogue zero').

Dominic

Offline adrianb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2015, 05:25:44 PM »
I own the old 30-pin version of the Røde iXY which I have been very impressed with. I use it in conjunction with the Røde Rec App on the iPhone. I have used the App with the iPhone's inbuilt microphone for recording meetings, and I could see this as a convenient way to record interviews.

With the Røde iXY microphone the results can be quite impressive, and I have used this for many an impromptu field recording when I haven't got my Sony with me. I always have my iPhone with me, and I keep the Røde iXY in the glovebox. I like the old 30-pin version because it packs away much smaller than the new version, it can also be picked up really cheap now. I have a lightning to 30-pin adapter squeezed in the case.

I understand that the iPhone's circuitry allows for devices like the iXY to bypass the on-board electronics of the phone and instead transmit high-quality audio in a way that Android devices cannot.
Mics: Sennheiser MKH 8040, Sennheiser MKH 8020, AT BP4025, AT 853 cards, CA CAFS, CA 14 Omnis, CA 11 (Cards + Omnis), Soundman OKM II Classic
Battery Boxes: Sony XLR-1, CA 9200 Preamp, CA Ugly 2 Preamp, CA Ugly BB, Shure FP24
Recorders: Sound Devices MP3, Sony PCM-D100, Sony PCM-D50, Sony PCM-M10, Sony PCM-D10, Roland R-07, Tascam iXJ2

Offline Gene Poole

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2015, 11:04:38 AM »
I own the old 30-pin version of the Røde iXY which I have been very impressed with. I use it in conjunction with the Røde Rec App on the iPhone. I have used the App with the iPhone's inbuilt microphone for recording meetings, and I could see this as a convenient way to record interviews.

With the Røde iXY microphone the results can be quite impressive, and I have used this for many an impromptu field recording when I haven't got my Sony with me. I always have my iPhone with me, and I keep the Røde iXY in the glovebox. I like the old 30-pin version because it packs away much smaller than the new version, it can also be picked up really cheap now. I have a lightning to 30-pin adapter squeezed in the case.

I understand that the iPhone's circuitry allows for devices like the iXY to bypass the on-board electronics of the phone and instead transmit high-quality audio in a way that Android devices cannot.

The 30-pin iphone interface has only analog audio capabilities so I would assume that the Røde uses the 30-pin USB interface to bypass analog audio.  In theory, Android supports USB Audio, but in practice, since there are so many different Android form-factors, it would be tough to implement a one-size-fits-all device for Android.  There are generic USB stereo mics that should work with an Android and the appropriate cable, but nothing as compact and aesthetic as the Røde.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com