Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: AMD Processors??  (Read 1827 times)

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • made with natural flavor
AMD Processors??
« on: August 19, 2015, 02:10:52 PM »
Anyone have user experience with AMD processors?

How do they do for processing music files?
How do they do processing photo/video files?
Transfer speeds?
Everyday tasks?
Streaming live or archived content?  (audio/video)
HDMI output abilities?
Etc..........??

I've always used Intel processors, but there is a machine that has caught my eye that uses an AMD A4-6210 chip.
On paper/specs, most Intel processors rate higher than AMD....  but I guess that I'm looking for actual user experiences/opinions.
Thanks for any input!
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline buckster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: AMD Processors??
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 03:03:21 PM »
I've done 3 desktop builds with AMD cpu's, the first was a dual core and the last two are quad core; and I never gave it a second thought using AMD over Intel.  The Intel's usually have better spec's, but the AMD's are less expensive.  I use my current quad core desktop as my DAW and do everyday computing stuff on it; nothing that I would consider high power computing.  I've not used the AMD "A" chips that have the integrated video graphics onto the chip, so I can't address them specifically.  I think looking beyond "specs" to people's real world experiences is a good way to go about it.     

Offline Ultfris101

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Spoon!!!
Re: AMD Processors??
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 04:33:11 PM »
Same here. I've not used the AMD chips with integrated graphics but found that similarly spec'd Intel and AMD chips perform about the same in the past. Recently I swapped a system built on AMD Athlon II for an Intel i5 (the kids' PC) so I could have similar architecture to play around with Openstack and virtualization, giving me two Intel based ones to work with.

The AMD system feels the same as the Intel i5 it replaced for them to play games and watch Youtube Minecraft videos on.

if the processors are in the same general category of performance specs you'll be fine going with either unless you have specific needs driving you to one or the other. you can find some helpful tables online that give you some idea what AMD and Intel chips will perform similarly. You can't directly compare GHz of course.

The amount of total memory the motherboard can accommodate is a bigger deal in my opinion. I wouldn't get anything that can't take at least 16gb these days.
Mics: Schoeps MK5,MK41 CMC6,KCY,KC5 | AKG ck63,ck1 C460B,C480B | DPA 4061 | Naiant X-R card,hyper | CA-14o,c
Pres: Sound Devices USBPre2 | Naiant Tinybox | Church Audio 9200, UBB
Recs: Zoom F8 | Edirol R-44 | Sony PCM-M10 | Tascam DR-2d
Video: Sony CX550(2), CX580, HX9

LMA: http://archive.org/bookmarks/ultfris101

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com