Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: I can't get my usbpre2 to pass signal to my dr-680 mk2  (Read 6646 times)

Offline AB52

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: I can't get my usbpre2 to pass signal to my dr-680 mk2
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2015, 02:39:38 PM »
PM him at JWsound.  He responds to me really fast that way.

Offline lukpac

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2015, 03:29:49 PM »
If I'm recording the digital input, and often even if I'm not, I just leave the machine set to record a digital input to the stereo channel.  That's partly because I find doing so more straight forward and user-error-proof than recording a digital input to channels 5&6.  To record digital input to 5&6, in addition to setting 5&6 to DIGITAL on the I/O menu, you must also remember to set all channels to record as stereo files on the record menu.  It won't work if set to record individual mono files.  If the digital-in is sent to the stereo channel instead, it doesn't matter if mono or stereo files are written for the 6 main channels (the stereo file is always a 2 channel interleaved file). 

And, because I usually don't care about recording a live stereo mix, I can just leave ST REC set to DIN.  That way, regardless of my file output preference, I don't need to go in and change any menu settings when I'm doing any of the following-
1) recording analog inputs only, using the recorder's internal clock.
2) recording analog inputs only, syn'cd to the digital input clock.
3) recording both analog inputs and the digital input, syn'cd to the digital input clock.

I only need to arm whichever inputs channels I want to record, regardless of the combination of digital and analog inputs I happen to be using.

If no digital input is attached, the recorder will report DIN UNLOCK upon entering record or record/pause mode, but will record normally using it's internal clock.  That message can be dismissed by pressing the enter button or with a push of the control knob and the recording proceeds normally using the internal clock regardless of the message being displayed or dismissed.

The only time I'd consider recording the digital input to channels 5&6 is if I either wanted to record a live mix of the first 4 analog inputs and the digital input to the stereo channel (I think that's possible, never tried though), or if I wanted to be able to simultaneously playback the recorded digital input channels and the first 4 analog input channels the from the machine.

Either I'm not understanding what you're saying, or you're wrong. If you record DIN to 5&6, there's no necessity to record stereo files. Mono files work just fine.

As for recording DIN to 5&6, doing so is helpful if you don't need the extra tracks, and you want to be able to listen to a mix of everything. Doing so limits you to 10 tracks (via analog inputs), but it makes listening to a complete mix prior to importing to a computer possible. The setup I've used a few times:

680MKII (master)
1-6: analog inputs

680 (slave)
1-4: analog inputs
5&6: monitor mix from 680MKII

If you record the monitor mix via DIN to the stereo track, there's no way to monitor everything as you're recording without resorting to an external mixer, and there's no way to monitor everything via playback, as there's no way to get/keep 2 machines in sync on playback.

Of course, if you need 12 or 14 tracks, there's no way to avoid not being able to monitor everything.

df

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2015, 05:03:57 PM »
what sample rate are you using? my DR-100 mk2 only worked at certain sample rates with the usbpre2.

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2015, 05:09:23 PM »
Perhaps I'm mistaken then.  I distinctly remember it not working when I routed the digital input to channels 5&6 with the machine set to write mono files.  I'll test this again once I get a chance.

The mix monitoring part you mention confirms what I posted above about one of the reasons someone may want to record the digital in to channels 5/6.  However, most users here are transferring files to the computer before listening to them, and don't care about playing files back directly from the machine. 

I've done basically the same as you mention, only using an R-44 in place of the second DR-680.  That allowed me to playback a full mix of 8 channels, but the mix of the 4 from the R-44 sent across the 2-channel SPDIF was not further adjustable on playback from the 680.  That's identical to the scenario you describe with 10 channels.  The 6 from the other 680 are pre-mixed live to 2ch prior to the SPDIF transmission and not not further independently adjustable upon playback from the 680.

Alternately I've recorded 10 channels with those two machines clock-sync'd by the SPDIF connection, by recording 6 on the 680, 4 on the R44 and sending SPDIF info from the R44 to the 680's stereo channel.  There is no need to arm and record the stereo channel if one only wants the clock sync signal between the two recorders.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2015, 05:26:29 PM »
what sample rate are you using? my DR-100 mk2 only worked at certain sample rates with the usbpre2.

I have my jumpers set at 48kHz so I record at 24/48. I have never tried switching the jumpers, but It should work at other sample rates.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline lukpac

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2015, 05:53:42 PM »
Perhaps I'm mistaken then.  I distinctly remember it not working when I routed the digital input to channels 5&6 with the machine set to write mono files.  I'll test this again once I get a chance.

Definitely worked on my 680 with 1.30 firmware. I don't *think* I tried it with 1.20.

The mix monitoring part you mention confirms what I posted above about one of the reasons someone may want to record the digital in to channels 5/6.  However, most users here are transferring files to the computer before listening to them, and don't care about playing files back directly from the machine.

Yeah, it's only during shows (while recording, set breaks, afterwards) that I care about, but it's quite helpful then.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.092 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com