Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Wind screens for Church Audio cafs mics - here's where to get them.  (Read 2296 times)

Offline laptaper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Hey all,

Long time since I've checked in.  I just thought I'd share some info with anyone using Chris Church's cafs stealth mics.  When I bought them he told me that under normal circumstances they don't need windscreens.  He may or may not have told me that there aren't any screens in any case that would fit mics that small - I'm not certain and I've lost all my emails prior to about June of last year. :-(

In any case, I road tested them outdoors for the first time at Lockn' this year, and am here to report that yes, they do need windscreens.  The breeze was probably between 5-10 mph the last day of Lockn' and while it could be felt, was hardly gusty.  Nevertheless there's audible wind noise in my recordings from that day.  Fortunately, there are now windscreens available for these tiny mics.  WindTech's new 2600 screens have a 2 mm internal diameter and stretch out to a little over 4 mm inside.  That should work for cafs mics.  Here's where I bought them.  WindTech doesn't sell directly, so you may get a better price from another retailer.

http://www.fullcompass.com/prod/265385-WindTech-2600

The next outdoor event I plan to attend is The Festy in Roseland, VA (if you haven't been, come!) next month.  I'll be running my AKG's at the main stage, but I'll mount the cafs mics for a set or two as well with the screens to see how they turn out.  I'll keep you posted on the results.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 08:25:25 PM by laptaper »

Offline Lostbrook

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Wind screens for Church Audio cafs mics - here's where to get them.
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2015, 08:34:48 PM »
Thanks.  I'm going to order a pair for November's Cruise to the Edge.

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2015, 09:03:11 PM »
Thanks
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline laptaper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 10:07:03 AM »
Okay, I haven't used the windscreens yet, so no review on their performance even though I now have a pair.  I can, however, say the following: avoid ordering from Full Compass if you don't like sloppy service.

I ordered three windscreens (one as a spare), when the box arrived on Friday there were only two.  I called their customer service today and the man I spoke with explained that they had only two left in stock and they'd send out the third on Friday.  When I suggested, politely, that the next time it would be nice if they gave me a heads up if there was something wrong with the order, his extremely unconcerned response was, "Yeah, we'll try."

:o :o :o :o :o

That kind of slack attitude is not something you want to deal with if you need them for a festival or to do professional recording on a tight schedule, and you need to know ahead of time of any snags so you can make other arrangements in time - not to think everything's going swimmingly only to get the package the day before the concert and find it's not what you'd ordered, and now you're screwed.  As I said, if that isn't your cup of tea, there's a page full of other dealers complete with their website links on Windtech's site.  I'd recommend trying one of them instead.

http://www.windtech.tv/WindTech_Dealers.php

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.046 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com