Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Naiant IPA  (Read 24291 times)

Offline gormenghast

• Trade Count: (34)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Naiant IPA
« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2016, 10:56:17 AM »
Here is my IPA setup

Why two IPA's?
Schoeps MK4/41/41v @ 70°>R05

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #46 on: July 04, 2016, 02:13:23 PM »
Here is my IPA setup

Why two IPA's?
one for each channel/mic I assume

I am still confused with these though, they can run 9v "pip" mics correct ??
They can run "actives", in my case naiant akg, correct ??
They can NOT run 48v mics, correct ??
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2016, 12:01:31 AM »
How do these work with the KCY cable?  The KCY is a Y-cable that connects to two caps, so that would mean you only need one IPA for a set of two MK caps?  And what was the reason again why there can only be an XLR+1/8" output but not just a 1/8" output?  Is it due to design/pre-make parts or some other reason?

Offline Sebastian

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2016, 05:47:37 AM »
Here's mine, next to my tinybox for size comparison. Click on the picture for a bigger version.

How do these work with the KCY cable?  The KCY is a Y-cable that connects to two caps, so that would mean you only need one IPA for a set of two MK caps?

I suppose it works the same way my Nbob/IPA setup works.
{Schoeps MK4 > NBob actives | MBHO KA 200 N} > {Naiant Tinybox v2.0 | Naiant IPA | Naiant PFAs} > {Zoom F8 | Sony PCM-M10 | Tascam DR-2d}

Recordings:
Live Music Archive | DaD Torrents | TTD Torrents | Etree Torrents

Offline su6oxone

« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2016, 05:16:28 PM »
Here's mine, next to my tinybox for size comparison. Click on the picture for a bigger version.

Thanks for the pic!

So it looks like you use a single IPA with a KCY (? of is that a "Nbob" cable?) cable to power two MK caps.  I see there is a 1/8" cable plugged in on the end that the KCY cable plugs into the IPA, and is that the XLR output on the other end?  It looks like nothing is plugged in on that end in the pic. 

Offline Sebastian

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2016, 06:09:28 PM »
So it looks like you use a single IPA with a KCY (? of is that a "Nbob" cable?) cable to power two MK caps.  I see there is a 1/8" cable plugged in on the end that the KCY cable plugs into the IPA, and is that the XLR output on the other end?  It looks like nothing is plugged in on that end in the pic. 

That's an NBob cable, but I see no reason why KCY would work any different if you order the KCY version of the IPA. And yes, you don't need to use the XLR output at all. You can just use the 3.5mm output to feed a portable recorder like the M10. I have yet to run this setup in the field, though (just got the IPA in the mail yesterday).
{Schoeps MK4 > NBob actives | MBHO KA 200 N} > {Naiant Tinybox v2.0 | Naiant IPA | Naiant PFAs} > {Zoom F8 | Sony PCM-M10 | Tascam DR-2d}

Recordings:

Offline su6oxone

« Reply #51 on: July 08, 2016, 06:17:04 PM »
That's an NBob cable, but I see no reason why KCY would work any different if you order the KCY version of the IPA. And yes, you don't need to use the XLR output at all. You can just use the 3.5mm output to feed a portable recorder like the M10. I have yet to run this setup in the field, though (just got the IPA in the mail yesterday).

Thanks, that helps a lot.  But does the IPA provide phantom power?  I think Jon said in a different thread that it does not?  And do you know how easy/hard it is to replace batteries?

Thanks again!

Offline Sebastian

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #52 on: July 09, 2016, 02:51:27 AM »
Thanks, that helps a lot.  But does the IPA provide phantom power?  I think Jon said in a different thread that it does not?  And do you know how easy/hard it is to replace batteries?

It does not provide phantom power, but it's capable of powering active mic capsules directly.

Battery replacement is easy. You open the IPA using two thumb screws. It looks like this when opened:

As you can see, the battery clip is right there.

Recordings:

Offline robeti

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #53 on: July 09, 2016, 08:58:08 AM »

Are your NBOB cables terminated to mini xlr?
mics : nakamichi cm300 (JB mod, cp1, cp2, cp3) , sp-cmc-4u (at-u853,4.7k mod) (c,h), primo em4052pmi4 (4.7k mod)
battery box : ca-ubb (2x)
recorder: roland r-05 (2x)
video: Panasonic hdc-sd600, Sony hx9v

upcoming shows:
2017.10.20 Goldfrapp / CUT_
2017.11.03 Millionaire
2017.11.12 Queens Of The Stone Age
2018.02.28 The Killers

Offline Sebastian

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #54 on: July 09, 2016, 11:27:51 AM »
Are your NBOB cables terminated to mini xlr?

Yeah, I originally had them made for use with my tinybox.

Recordings:

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Two things I hate havin to cook and tryin' to date
« Reply #55 on: July 10, 2016, 12:43:53 PM »
Was going to grab a second PFA but this thing is more versatile, can run into an m10 or 1/8 into a 661 great for  >:D
Mk4v/41v>Nbob kcy x2>nbox platinum/Naiant PFA/Naiant IPA>Oade warm mod Marantz 661 x2/Sony pcm m10x3

Offline su6oxone

« Reply #56 on: July 11, 2016, 03:10:12 AM »
It does not provide phantom power, but it's capable of powering active mic capsules directly.

Battery replacement is easy. You open the IPA using two thumb screws. It looks like this when opened:

Nice!  I didn't realize you didn't need phantom power, that's great.  Thanks for the pic.  Looks nice and compact, although I do prefer the Tinybox form factor.  I suppose the IPA would be better for stealthing since it is so thin and compact, and could be an easy backup to a Tinybox as well.  Would be good to have both.

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #57 on: July 11, 2016, 02:26:24 PM »

Nice!  I didn't realize you didn't need phantom power, that's great.  Thanks for the pic.  Looks nice and compact, although I do prefer the Tinybox form factor.  I suppose the IPA would be better for stealthing since it is so thin and compact, and could be an easy backup to a Tinybox as well.  Would be good to have both.
yeah tb was killer IMO because it covered all bases, pip/48/actives plus it's size and battery life.
This looks cool if you have a y cable that it supports otherwise having two seems like it could be more challenging and of course leaves the door open for more errors
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline Sebastian

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #58 on: July 11, 2016, 03:48:30 PM »
I suppose the IPA would be better for stealthing since it is so thin and compact, and could be an easy backup to a Tinybox as well.  Would be good to have both.

I haven't stealthed with the IPA, yet. But judging from my first impressions, I think I also prefer the tinybox form factor for stealth because it seems to be slightly better pocketable. That being said, IPA should do the job as well. It's still damn small, just not as tiny as tb. ;-)

I mainly got it to have a backup for my tinybox (whose batteries are rather old) and as an alternative with exchangeable batteries (e.g. for festivals where I can't recharge tinybox).

Recordings:

Offline su6oxone

« Reply #59 on: July 12, 2016, 03:35:41 AM »
Nice!  I didn't realize you didn't need phantom power, that's great.  Thanks for the pic.  Looks nice and compact, although I do prefer the Tinybox form factor.

Someone needs to start making a Tinybox knockoff!  Or maybe Jon could sell his designs or license them out to some intrepid taper/entrepreneur?  :P

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.242 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2017 Taperssection.com