Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Kyocera R-451 and R-851 MOS FET Receivers  (Read 4672 times)

smokenburn

• Trade Count: (0)
Kyocera R-451 and R-851 MOS FET Receivers
« on: March 29, 2016, 03:45:19 PM »
I recently purchased two Kyocera receivers (1980's) cosmetically in excellent condition.  The 451 looked new and came with the brochure.  The 851 I bought from a local vintage a/v service shop and it had been fully serviced.  Last night the 451 was fantastic... for about 5 minutes then the left channel went out.  You can hear a weak distorted signal and the other channel is ok.  Today I set up the 851 and the same thing happened... worked ok for a few minutes then one channel went out.  I reckon it's the same issue, but to trouble shoot I changed the speakers wires to "B" (channels 3 & 4) turned it on to test and after 30 seconds I heard a pop and there was an electrical smell.  I immediately turned the receiver off and unplugged the power cord.  After a few minutes I plugged it back in to see if it would power on, this time it caught on fire.  The fire went out after I unplugged the power cord.  Any idea what may be the issue?  Both of these receivers were in immaculate condition.  Could it be the speakers?  Power strip?  fuse, capacitor? My room still smells like electrical fire. 

These receivers sound freakin' awesome (people compare them to McIntosh), inexpensive (for what you get) and they are rare... hopefully two of these endangered species weren't killed in 24 hours.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 03:47:21 PM by smokenburn »

Offline perks

• Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Recordings uploaded to TTD
Re: Kyocera R-451 and R-851 MOS FET Receivers
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 05:16:05 PM »
Does the vintage shop have a return policy?
Mics: Schoeps MK5's, Schoeps MK41's, AT853's (C,SC,H,O), DPA 4061's
Preamps/converters: Schoeps VMS52UB (x2), Nbox (x2), E.A.A. PSP-2 (x2) Grace Lunatec V2, Sound Devices MP-2, DPA MMA6000, Naiant Tinybox v1.5, Naiant PiPsqueak, Church Ugly, Apogee Mini-Me, Benchmark AD2k+
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Korg MR-1, Edirol R-05, Sony PCM-M10 (x2), Tascam DR-07, Marantz PMD-661, Sound Devices Mixpre-3

smokenburn

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 06:45:54 PM »
Does the vintage shop have a return policy?

He's checking it out now.  It caught on fire, so...  not sure if it's repairable but he'll refund the money if not.

On the way back to the store today I left my wallet on top of my car while getting gas.  It flew off on the highway and this Mexican guy (didn't speak much English) waived me down and told me what happened and said two people pulled over to grab the cash that flew out.  Didn't find the wallet.   :facepalm:  Hope they enjoy the $3 and MARTA Breeze card.  And I have mortgage fraud on my credit report so my ID has already been compromised.  what a day.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 06:55:16 PM by smokenburn »

smokenburn

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 07:05:43 PM »
OK.

So, I'm meeting someone tonight to buy a THIRD Kyocera - this one is the top end model R-861.  Any input on what I should NOT do?  The 451 worked fine with a smaller pair of Definitive Technology speakers and power strip with nothing else using power.  I'm not going to plug in the same power strip and speakers as the last two.  If this one spontaneously combusts then...

edit) is it possible that the power strip is overloaded?  I have a TV, Arcam receiver, PS4, turntable, etc. all plugged into one strip.  I plugged in a small space heater with all that gear on the same Monster strip and it blew the circuit breaker and power strip.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 07:24:27 PM by smokenburn »

smokenburn

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 11:09:12 AM »
No issues so far using a different outlet.

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2016, 01:05:00 PM »
Check out the voltage requirement for the receivers. Kyocera is a Japanese brand so you may want to see if the unit is set for Japanese voltage, or for U.S. voltage. What happened to you sounds a bit like if I was to plug a high-voltage piece of equipment into a foreign power outlet.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com