Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Looking To Buy a Setup  (Read 11720 times)

Offline Jerseyguy57

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Looking To Buy a Setup
« on: August 21, 2016, 07:47:16 PM »
Hi, looking to buy a setup and I see the Sony M10 is recommended by most. Question is, what kind of mics would you suggest for it and do you always need a battery box for the mics?

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
Re: Looking To Buy a Setup
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 11:10:02 PM »
Battery box?: Yes, you'll want one, because the plug-in power isn't enough to drive most mics sufficiently under most circumstances.

Which mics?: Maybe start by saying what kind of music and venues you'd mostly be recording, and what your budget is, and if you'll be recording with a stand or need smaller stealthy mics, and then at least you can get it narrowed down to only a million different opinions.

Offline Jerseyguy57

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2016, 11:27:20 PM »
I mainly go to small venues, small theaters, clubs etc. I've been very fortunate to have very good seats for most of them. I'd say within the first 8 rows center. So I would be looking for small stealthy mics.

My budget isn't a real lot, maybe a few hundred. I want to try to not have a lot of stuff to carry around if possible. I do know that some mics will run off the recorder and don't require a battery box.

Offline trustthex

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Trainwreckin' Fool
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 01:46:04 AM »
Did not reply on the thread @ TTD; glad you made it over here.  Trust us - you need a battery box; there's probably a boatload of overloaded/distorted recordings due to improper powering of mics (I know I've made a few).

Personally, I would recommend you look into either SP-CMC-2s (AT831 based) or SP-CMC-4 (AT853 based) microphone systems.  You can buy new from www.soundprofessionals.com or find something used in the yardsale. 

Welcome & good luck!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 11:54:43 AM by trustthex »
Current Foolishness-
AT853c > 3-wire BB > LS10
AT853c > Tinybox > R-09

Other gear in my bag-
SP-CMC-1 (AT 829), ECM-717, Sharp MD-MS702
2x Teac ME-50 (C), AT ATR6250, SP-SPSB-2

Team TEXAS, Naiant, Jazz, Vinyl, moe.

-------
If you have any Brave Combo that needs transferred/uploaded, etc... PM me.

Offline nulldogmas

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2016, 07:58:00 AM »
I'd second the SP-CMC-4U/AT853 recommendation, and the Church Audio CA-11/CA-14s are good as well, though see the long thread here about Church's fulfillment issues.

One decision you're going to need to make is cardioids vs. omnis. Cards are more directional and pick up less crowd noise and room echo; omnis provide a better sense of space but the music may seem more distant, depending on the venue.

Offline fandelive

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2016, 09:00:11 AM »
AT853 will be great for cardioids, as long as you get them with the low-sens mod. Otherwise, they won't handle high SPLs.

For omnis you could also consider a pair of OKM II rock/studio which are Sennheiser based mics.

Try to listen to some samples of shows made with each mic and pick the one you think sound the best to your ears.

You also might want to mount them as high as possible to get better clarity, so you should consider buying a hat too.

Mics : Sony ECM-717, MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod), SP-CMC-4 (at853), 2x DPA4060, 2x DPA4061
Battery box : SP-SPSB-6524 w/bass roll-off filter, MM-CBM-1
Preamp : Church Audio CA-9100
Recorders : Sony MZR-700PC, Edirol R-09HR, Tascam DR-2d

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2016, 10:20:58 AM »
$500 is probably the bare minimum, for a rig.  You'll drop $200 for a recorder, then another $75 on a battery box, and that leaves you about $200 for mikes.  You'll be at the extreme low end of cost and quality. 
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline perks

• Trade Count: (31)
    • Recordings uploaded to TTD
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2016, 10:28:14 AM »
AT853 will be great for cardioids, as long as you get them with the low-sens mod. Otherwise, they won't handle high SPLs.

This is not true. Just power them with a 3-wire BB.
Mics: Schoeps MK5's, Schoeps MK41's, AT853's (C,SC,H,O), DPA 4061's
Preamps/converters: Schoeps VMS52UB (x2), Nbox (x2), E.A.A. PSP-2 (x2) Grace Lunatec V2, Sound Devices MP-2, DPA MMA6000, Naiant Tinybox v1.5, Naiant PiPsqueak, Church Ugly, Apogee Mini-Me, Benchmark AD2k+
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Korg MR-1, Edirol R-05, Sony PCM-M10 (x2), Tascam DR-07, Marantz PMD-661, Sound Devices Mixpre-3

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2016, 10:40:56 AM »
$500 is probably the bare minimum, for a rig.  You'll drop $200 for a recorder, then another $75 on a battery box, and that leaves you about $200 for mikes.  You'll be at the extreme low end of cost and quality.
Not to discourage anybody new who wishes to join the game, but this is about the bottom in terms of costs to enter the hobby. Even with good shopping skills and buying a deck used, you're still looking at only $250ish for mics.
Jerseyguy57- Welcome to you!  :cheers:   (it is not as expensive a hobby as say, yachting, but it can get expensive if you want it to be!)
Think about it this way- the most important piece of the chain is microphones. It is similar to back when turntables were part of EVERY sound system, the cartridge/needle was (is?) most crucial. When it was actual tapes being used, the Tape deck's heads/transport were the crucial part. For live recording, it is the mics. (It is certainly true that one does not need "expensive mics" to make good recordings-location is always key as well)

I haven't used them, but the rec's above for SP or CA products are probably right on and these can be found used at good prices. Also don't forget another small manufacturer onboard here, naiant audio. Many of his mic's can be had for ~$200-300/pair  (X-R. X-X, series depending on which deck you choose.)

read a bunch of mic setup threads and keep your eyes on the YS- and let us know what you choose and/or ask questions.
Also, as far as mic choices go, once you've decided on one or two types/brands check recordings made with those mics out on the LMA or bt.etree or whichever tracker is your choice and listen carefully to figure out what results you might have.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 10:43:28 AM by rocksuitcase »
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline Jerseyguy57

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2016, 11:10:56 AM »
Wow, thanks for all the info. :headphones: I want to try to keep it as minimal as possible with regards to carrying equipment on me. If I can get away without a BB that would be great.

As for putting them up high, I wear glasses and have been thinking about using Croaker as an option.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 11:29:30 AM by Jerseyguy57 »

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2016, 11:49:46 AM »
Wow, thanks for all the info. :headphones: I want to try to keep it as minimal as possible with regards to carrying equipment on me. If I can get away without a BB that would be great.

As for putting them up high, I wear glasses and have been thinking about using Croaker as an option.

I don't know why new people insist on fighting the need to use a battery box to properly power your mics. You will need a batt box and you will have to use it to get good recordings if your mics require more than ~3V PIP.

I once made a good recording with a pair of DPA 4061 running off the PIP of a Marantz 620 (which is ~5V). Once.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline Jerseyguy57

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2016, 12:59:42 PM »
Not resistant, just don't want to carry a lot of gear and have my pockets bulging like a chipmunks cheeks.

Offline angelo sixo

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2016, 01:10:56 PM »
i just bought a zoom h5 ( I know they get beat up on this forum but i like it better than the H10) 229. i bought 2 low end AKG mics for 80 a piece (P170's)  a stand 45 bucks, xlr cables 60 bucks  a couple windscreens (not a must) and a bag 30 so im right around 500 BARE BONES i recorded with it this weekend and it sounds pretty good getting ready to track and edit tonight to  find out fo sho
Almost before I realized what was happening, the whole affair had gotten completely out of hand. I was riding a magic stallion. A Pegasus. I was not responsible for his wings, but they did carry me to all kinds of places.” Bear

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2016, 01:15:46 PM »
Not resistant, just don't want to carry a lot of gear and have my pockets bulging like a chipmunks cheeks.

If it is rock you'll need the BB. 

YMMV but back in the day when the smallest cassette recorder (not including cassettes, full size mics and cables, maybe a power source/batteries, etc.) was bigger than everything you need today it's all a complete walk in the park now.  A BB is not going to make any difference in the overall scheme of what you carry. 

Also Sony M-10 is discontinued.  There may be a few left but buy that immediately... 
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 01:17:59 PM by bombdiggity »
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

Offline nulldogmas

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2016, 03:05:40 PM »
Yeah, the M10 is pretty compact, as are the smaller battery boxes. It's easy to stick the recorder in one pocket and the battery box in another. A small price to pay for recordings that are *so much* better.

And yes, buy an M10 ASAP — just saw that B&H is sold out now, eep. I may have to get a backup backup one myself...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com