Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Looking To Buy a Setup  (Read 11736 times)

Offline Jerseyguy57

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Looking To Buy a Setup
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2016, 10:51:33 PM »
I'd second the SP-CMC-4U/AT853 recommendation, and the Church Audio CA-11/CA-14s are good as well, though see the long thread here about Church's fulfillment issues.

One decision you're going to need to make is cardioids vs. omnis. Cards are more directional and pick up less crowd noise and room echo; omnis provide a better sense of space but the music may seem more distant, depending on the venue.

I see sound professionals sells a variety of BB. Any certain one ? I assume one with bass roll off.

Offline HealthCov Chris

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
    • InsideOut Recording & Promotions
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2016, 10:38:45 AM »
Not resistant, just don't want to carry a lot of gear and have my pockets bulging like a chipmunks cheeks.

This small enough?  http://www.church-audio.com/viewitem.php?productid=18
LMA: https://archive.org/details/@corfit
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/insideoutrecording
Mics: AKG ck61/ck63 (nBob actives, Naiant PFA) | AKG 568 | CA-14 omni | Studio Projects B3
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6 | Zoom F3 | Roland R-07
Camera: GoPro Hero 4 Silver

Offline Jerseyguy57

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2016, 11:19:14 AM »
Lol that is small. I've been researching BB's, they are quite small. Is bass roll off a necessity? I've been to a few shows recently where the bass was a little heavy in the mix.

Offline trustthex

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Trainwreckin' Fool
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2016, 11:46:50 AM »
You will get mixed answers on your last question.  My batt boxes have no rolloff - I do any sound editing/equalization after the show at the same time I adjust levels, trim the file, etc.
Current Foolishness-
AT853c > 3-wire BB > LS10
AT853c > Tinybox > R-09

Other gear in my bag-
SP-CMC-1 (AT 829), ECM-717, Sharp MD-MS702
2x Teac ME-50 (C), AT ATR6250, SP-SPSB-2

Team TEXAS, Naiant, Jazz, Vinyl, moe.

-------
If you have any Brave Combo that needs transferred/uploaded, etc... PM me.

Offline Jerseyguy57

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2016, 01:24:11 PM »
I would guess then you could make adjustments on the Sony M10 then.

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2016, 02:08:03 PM »
I would guess then you could make adjustments on the Sony M10 then.

I've never had an issue with bass that I couldn't fix in post. I do record electronic bands on occasion too.

Pros of fixing in post is you can play with the mix until you like what you have. With any sort of bass roll off, that bass is GONE FOREVER. You could BOOST in post, but it's always better to take away than add.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline Jerseyguy57

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2016, 02:42:00 PM »
Thanks for the ips. I'm more than likely going to pick up a Sony M10. Mic advice besides the above? I go mostly to jazz, blues and some rock in small theaters.

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2016, 04:03:38 PM »
Lol that is small. I've been researching BB's, they are quite small. Is bass roll off a necessity? I've been to a few shows recently where the bass was a little heavy in the mix.

With SP mics or really anything of tiny size you do not need the bass roll off in the battery box (at all) and will probably not need to deal with that much if at all in your editing process (post).  DPA's are really the only small mic that has a lot of bass (or start to get muddy) but those way out of your price range and likely require a pre-amp rather than simple bb. 

As mentioned above a little eq or filter or whatever adjustment later when you can hear the effect is a more reliable approach than leaving something behind when you can't hear the effect.  The SP's and most other small mics tend to lean bright sounding so bass is not an issue.  They filter that on their own.  I use SP CMC-25's if I have to for a specific gig so I'm not complaining, just observing... 
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2016, 10:37:19 PM »
I agree with needing a battery box and also agree at853 are good starter mics that can cover different situations.
What I also feel is needed, based on the fact that his gear is recommended in the thread, is fair warning on church audio and his shipping issues. Yes he makes cheap quality gear bit research the potential wait times before jumping in on them.
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline Jerseyguy57

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2016, 07:53:08 AM »
Thanks all for the info. Lot to think about before buying. I think the Sony M10 is the recorder I want. Church lists 3-4 weeks for mics. I do like their option for the 11's inside the croakie. Very stealthy to me.

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Trade Count: (1)
    • Southern Shelter
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2016, 08:16:51 AM »
Thanks all for the info. Lot to think about before buying. I think the Sony M10 is the recorder I want. Church lists 3-4 weeks for mics. I do like their option for the 11's inside the croakie. Very stealthy to me.

I would expect triple that lead time at a minimum. Church has had issues with this for quite some time.

Offline swordfish

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2016, 11:50:34 AM »

IMO the SP CMC 8 inside the croakie are a lot smaller, in addition I would buy them with the 4.7 mod, or even better buy those used,

I bought a used white pair with the mod from darktrain a while ago and use a black croakie anda church BB7clip....not much to carry....
I know what I am talking about since also owned a pair C11 with the Church croakie

Offline Jerseyguy57

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2016, 03:18:41 PM »
4.7 mod?

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2016, 04:42:29 PM »
The 4.7 mod adds a 4.7K resistor between two of the leads to lower the sensitivity of the mic making it usable for louder sources.

You can put the resistor in the connector or at the mic capsule. SP offers it as an option on most of their miniature mics. I think they call it the Low Sens mod. A few people here on the forum used to do it as an aftermarket modification.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline Jerseyguy57

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2016, 08:17:05 PM »
Thanks for the info. Time to go shopping.  ;D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com