Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Roland R-88 got a *massive* price drop! (fierce F8 competition?)  (Read 9132 times)

Offline IronFilm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Sound Recordist for Film/TV in New Zealand
    • IronFilm
For those looking at an alternative to the Zoom F8, I noticed that B&H has a "New Arrival", refurbished Rolland R-88 units selling at nearly half their launch price (I guess Zoom is providing some serious pricing pressure! They might even be new units, and only "refurbished" in name only?!):

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1286630-REG/roland_r_88b_r_88_8_channel_recorder_and.html

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Roland R-88 got a *massive* price drop! (fierce F8 competition?)
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 08:36:52 AM »
The new r88 is still $1995 with the refurb  being $800 less.  That is a substantial discount, but a new f8 is still $999.  Haven't compared the r88 with the f8, but the obvious question is what makes the r88 twice the price of the f8?

Offline IronFilm

• Taperssection Regular
    • IronFilm
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2016, 07:51:53 AM »
Yeah the cheaper price of the F8 and its smaller size, means I'd personally still prefer the F8 over R88. But others might see the comparison differently and jump on the chance to get the R88 cheaply.

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 12:49:52 PM »
The decks have different functionality. For instance. the R-88 has Digi in and out. That is a big difference alone, which to some would make the cost difference worth it. If that is not important , than the higher price of the R-88 is probably not necessary. The 2 decks have differences and are both valuable depending on what one is looking for.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2016, 06:45:38 PM »
Was $795 on flash deal at BH Photo a few days ago and now showing discontinued.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2017, 10:13:38 AM »
The decks have different functionality. For instance. the R-88 has Digi in and out. That is a big difference alone, which to some would make the cost difference worth it. If that is not important , than the higher price of the R-88 is probably not necessary. The 2 decks have differences and are both valuable depending on what one is looking for.

Besides digital I/O, R-88 provides 8 XLR outputs, whereas F8 only provides two main XLR outs + two aux (mini XLR).  Again, features which are more important for some folks.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline IronFilm

• Taperssection Regular
    • IronFilm
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2017, 03:24:31 AM »
For the next four days, the Roland R-88 is on sale again, for US$795 @ B&H (not "refurbished", brand new):

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/892317-REG/Roland_R_88_8_CHANNEL_RECORDER.html

Offline sos

• Trade Count: (56)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2017, 09:22:16 AM »
Great rig, ridiculous price. But, miniaturization is the order of the day. Some comparisons...

Roland R-88  ($795)
10.25" x 9.25" x 3.69" 
5.9 lbs

Zoom F-8  ($999)
7.0" x 5.5" x 2.1" 
2.1 lbs

SD MixPre-10T  ($1799)
8.15" x 6.88" x 1.4" 
2 lbs
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 09:35:54 AM by sos »
Mics
AKG:  Naiant actives (CK61/62/63-ULS) & C568 B
Audio-Technica:  AT853 (all caps)
Nakamichi:  Franken Nak(s): CM-300 (CP-1/2/3) & CM-700 (CP-701/702)
Primo:  EM4052PMI4 (CP-3)
Pres  Naiant: littlebox (v. 1.5/ot) & tinyboxes (v. 1.0 & 2.5)
Decks  Sound Devices: MixPre-10T | Sony: PCM-A10 | Roland: R-05 & R-09HR
Juice  Krisdonia LiPo 50k (NJF-5X) | LADDA rechargeables | Powerex MHC9000

Offline IronFilm

• Taperssection Regular
    • IronFilm
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2017, 09:26:21 AM »
Oh for sure, I'd much rather have the even cheaper F4 (or an F8, or splurge a few hundred more for the MixPre10T) than have an R-88!

But I'm sure for some small niche of people they'd prefer the R-88, and this would be an amazing deal for them.

For instance if they really really want the 8x full size XLR outputs, or the digital I/O.

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2018, 02:49:27 PM »
I just bought a used R-88.  Love it so far!  Much lighter, less cumbersome than I originally thought.  My experience with the Roland R-26 really helped in learning the touchscreen menus.  The Pres on it are really quiet too.  IMO, this thing was really designed for Music first, ENG second.  Can't wait to take it out on its maiden voyage.  I have some SBD-patch opportunities coming up. 
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 02:54:16 PM by spyder9 »

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2018, 04:20:08 PM »
The Pres on it are really quiet too.  IMO, this thing was really designed for Music first, ENG second.  Can't wait to take it out on its maiden voyage.  I have some SBD-patch opportunities coming up.

I think when we were at the Funky Biscuit in January, it might have been one of the first times getting a SBD feed from the new sound guy Ray.  Good going on the R-88, Dan..!
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline rippleish20

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2018, 04:29:06 PM »
The Pres on it are really quiet too.  IMO, this thing was really designed for Music first, ENG second.  Can't wait to take it out on its maiden voyage.  I have some SBD-patch opportunities coming up.

I think when we were at the Funky Biscuit in January, it might have been one of the first times getting a SBD feed from the new sound guy Ray.  Good going on the R-88, Dan..!

The XLRs out for each channel is certainly nice. I would love that...

I will be down for the JKB shows at the Funky Bisquit and Skippers next week. I think I met each of you at the trwo venues. Are either of you going to these shows (or any of the upcoming JKB shows)? I know I can get SBD patches for these and can bring a patch bay...
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 05:19:16 PM by rippleish20 »
AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3
paypal: rippleish20@gmail.com

Offline yltfan

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2018, 08:36:35 PM »
I might be tempted if it had that wifi control dealio...
Mics: AT4051, AT4053, KM140, AKG C414, Beyerdynamic MEM86 guns, Nak cm300, AT853 4.7mod
Pre: V3, CA-9100
Recorders: Busman DR-680, iRivers, minidisc, jb3, and DAT

Dime torrents: http://www.dimeadozen.org/account-details.php?id=88009

Offline IronFilm

• Taperssection Regular
    • IronFilm
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2018, 01:01:50 AM »

Very very very few have that though. I know my Tascam DR22WL does, as does the Tascam DR44WL.  And there is the add on Sound Devices  CL-WiFi for the 788T

I'd struggle to think of any others?!

Those that do have wireless control of some sort would tend to use Bluetooth instead (such as Sound Devices's Wingman app is over bluetooth, or the Zoom F8 which I rented for a week last month specifically for that wireless control which my F4 lacks. Although I really wish it was Wifi rather than bluetooth! As sometimes I'd really struggle with its range while on a few shoots).

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2018, 10:21:16 AM »

Very very very few have that though. I know my Tascam DR22WL does, as does the Tascam DR44WL.  And there is the add on Sound Devices  CL-WiFi for the 788T

I'd struggle to think of any others?!

Those that do have wireless control of some sort would tend to use Bluetooth instead (such as Sound Devices's Wingman app is over bluetooth, or the Zoom F8 which I rented for a week last month specifically for that wireless control which my F4 lacks. Although I really wish it was Wifi rather than bluetooth! As sometimes I'd really struggle with its range while on a few shoots).

To note - The control program for the CL-WiFi for the 788T is limited to 32bit, so on iOS you cannot use newer versions (i.e. 11 and above) - no further development is being considered for the CL-WiFi

https://www.sounddevices.com/tech-notes/cl-wifi-ios

Ambient makes this though (for the 6xx and 788t) :
http://ambient.de/product/master-lockit-sound-devices-control/
For a cool $1300:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1045432-REG/ambient_recording_acn_ml_master_lockit_acn_hub.html
OUCH - generates/syncs TC as well as Wireless control

« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 10:24:22 AM by H₂O »
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.111 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com