Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Which mic for drum overhead?  (Read 3744 times)

Offline Life In Rewind

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
Which mic for drum overhead?
« on: December 13, 2016, 01:37:17 PM »
I have a sound gig coming up - a jazz trio, and was thinking I'm only going to need minimal micing on the drum kit. (small kit)

Like kick - and one overhead?

Does that sound too sparse?

I have AUDIX M1280s and Avnatone CK-1s...

Anyone have an opinion on these as overheads?

Offline IowaClint

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Which mic for drum overhead?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 02:20:45 PM »
I use Berliner CM 33's, AKG 460's, and Aston Spirits for overheads.  I would say if you have a large diaphragm mic that is the one I would use, otherwise use the small condensers and pan them and blend with a kick mic like a beta 52 or Audix D6. 

Offline BonoBeats

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My Band- Funk Pocket
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 03:30:06 PM »
Two mics should be fine. Ran two or three mic setups for my band quite a few times, in smaller or mid sized rooms.

For the kick- are you using a dedicated kick drum mic (Beta52, etc), or more of an all purpose mic?  My preference is to run a mic (usually LDC but doesn't matter) about a foot or two in front of the kick, almost even with the top of the bass drum hoop. You'll get some snare and toms this way. It's not like you're looking for the kick to stand out in a jazz setting, the way you would for a rock gig...

As for the overhead, I'd usually set up over the drummer's right shoulder, a foot or two over head height. My overhead choice is typically based on the drum tuning and cymbals- if the cymbals are bright, I use a mic with a more flat response; if they're vintage and dark, I sometimes want a mic with a little more high end extension. That said, you'll be fine with either.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 04:52:14 PM by BonoBeats »
Now You See Me Telefunken M60 Masters/ADK Cremona 251>MixPre6
Now You Don't    Naiant XX or MS-TFB-2-MKII>SP-SB10>Roland R05

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 04:07:29 PM »
I use Berliner CM 33's, AKG 460's, and Aston Spirits for overheads.  I would say if you have a large diaphragm mic that is the one I would use, otherwise use the small condensers and pan them and blend with a kick mic like a beta 52 or Audix D6.

Thanks - Im trying to pick from mics I own - I do have a pair of APEX 435s LDCs...

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 04:09:43 PM »
Two mics should be fine. Ran two or three mic setups for my band quite a few times, in smaller or mid sized rooms.

For the kick- are you using a dedicated kick drum mic (Beta52, etc), or more of an all purpose mic?  My preference is to run a mic (usually LDC but doesn't matter) about a foot in front of the kick, almost even with the top of the bass drum hoop. You'll get some snare and toms this way. It's not like you're looking for the kick to stand out in a jazz setting, the way you would for a rock gig...

As for the overhead, I'd usually set up over the drummer's right shoulder, a foot or two over head height. My overhead choice is typically based on the drum tuning and cymbals- if the cymbals are bright, I use a mic with a more flat response; if they're vintage and dark, I sometimes want a mic with a little more high end extension. That said, you'll be fine with either.

Ahh - I do like that kick idea with the LDC...I have a pair of APEX 435s LDCs - not the best, but not terrible either...might give that shot.

I have one of the SHURE kick mics at work I can use - but I like this idea better.

Its piano, standup bass and drums...

Offline BonoBeats

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My Band- Funk Pocket
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2016, 04:54:38 PM »

For the kick- are you using a dedicated kick drum mic (Beta52, etc), or more of an all purpose mic?  My preference is to run a mic (usually LDC but doesn't matter) about a foot in front of the kick, almost even with the top of the bass drum hoop. You'll get some snare and toms this way. It's not like you're looking for the kick to stand out in a jazz setting, the way you would for a rock gig...

Ahh - I do like that kick idea with the LDC...I have a pair of APEX 435s LDCs - not the best, but not terrible either...might give that shot.

I have one of the SHURE kick mics at work I can use - but I like this idea better.

Its piano, standup bass and drums...

The Apex should work fine for that purpose. Experiment with the height and distance from the kick, to get a balanced pickup of the entire kit.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 04:56:36 PM by BonoBeats »
Now You See Me Telefunken M60 Masters/ADK Cremona 251>MixPre6
Now You Don't    Naiant XX or MS-TFB-2-MKII>SP-SB10>Roland R05

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2016, 11:37:39 AM »
Thanks for all replies!

I ended up going with the APEX 435 on the kick and a CAD C9  that I forgot I had on overhead.

Seemed to do the trick. Used the low cut on the overhead - Im surprised how nicely that little mic performed.

I did a multitrack in Reaper off the XR18...will post some samples in a bit...

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com

Offline Charlie Miller

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Come On, Get Happy
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2017, 10:55:15 AM »
I'm a big fan of large diaphragm mics as overheads.
Audio Engineer & Archivist for Steve Kimock Productions

Schoeps CMC6/MK4, AKG 460/CK61, AKG C34
Sound Devices 744T
Dante Multitrack Rig

Offline pohaku

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2017, 10:20:02 PM »
Lots of different tastes in overheads.  It is kind of a personal thing.  I like Beyer M160s myself.
Mics: akg c460 (ck61, ck63), c414buls, c568eb; at4049a, 4051a, 4053a, at853; josephson c42; neumann U87, km84i; beyer m130, m160, m500; aea r84; gefell m71, mt711s, m200, m201, um70S; sony c38; schoeps cmc6, CMBI (mk4, mk21, mk41, mk4v); sennheiser mkh30, mkh40, md421, md431, md541; audix m1290
Pres: API, a-designs, pendulum, purple, millennia TD-1 and HV-32P, gt, littlebox, tinybox, usbpre2, CA 9200, pipsqueak, grace V2, DAV BG1
Cables: KCY, CMR, Naiant AKG actives, PFAs, asst.  GAKables and Darktrain
Recorders/converters/monitors: dr680, m10, dr-2d, d50, zoom f8 & F8n pro, 788T SSD CL-8, lynx aurora 8, Neumann KH20

Yeah, I'm an attorney, but everyone needs a day job

Offline Charlie Miller

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Come On, Get Happy
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2017, 11:33:54 AM »
Lots of different tastes in overheads.  It is kind of a personal thing.  I like Beyer M160s myself.

We used a single M160 as overhead for the recent kimock shows. I was very pleased with its performance. AKG 460's and 414's are also great overhead mics, mainly for recording
Audio Engineer & Archivist for Steve Kimock Productions

Schoeps CMC6/MK4, AKG 460/CK61, AKG C34
Sound Devices 744T
Dante Multitrack Rig

Offline pohaku

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2017, 12:35:41 PM »

We used a single M160 as overhead for the recent kimock shows. I was very pleased with its performance. AKG 460's and 414's are also great overhead mics, mainly for recording

We typically use a pair of M160s for overheads, and then a choice of kick mics.  Audix D6, ATM25, Beyer M88.  Sometimes an RE20.

AKGs have a long history as overhead mics.  A hotter sound than the Beyer ribbon mics.
Mics: akg c460 (ck61, ck63), c414buls, c568eb; at4049a, 4051a, 4053a, at853; josephson c42; neumann U87, km84i; beyer m130, m160, m500; aea r84; gefell m71, mt711s, m200, m201, um70S; sony c38; schoeps cmc6, CMBI (mk4, mk21, mk41, mk4v); sennheiser mkh30, mkh40, md421, md431, md541; audix m1290
Pres: API, a-designs, pendulum, purple, millennia TD-1 and HV-32P, gt, littlebox, tinybox, usbpre2, CA 9200, pipsqueak, grace V2, DAV BG1
Cables: KCY, CMR, Naiant AKG actives, PFAs, asst.  GAKables and Darktrain
Recorders/converters/monitors: dr680, m10, dr-2d, d50, zoom f8 & F8n pro, 788T SSD CL-8, lynx aurora 8, Neumann KH20

Yeah, I'm an attorney, but everyone needs a day job

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.11 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com