Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: TSKB: Boom counterweight w/ low visual impact?  (Read 3218 times)

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
TSKB: Boom counterweight w/ low visual impact?
« on: January 30, 2017, 07:36:32 PM »
I just picked up a Manfrotto 124 to use my 099B extension as a boom arm.  What I'm looking for is a boom counterweight in the 3-6 lb area that is relatively small and doesn't draw attention to itself.  (As in not, blaring orange or yellow as they typically are.)

My stand is typically directly in the line of sight of the audience positioned behind a conductor, so that is why I care about appearance.  I suppose I could get a Manfrotto 172 and paint it black or cover it with gaff tape, but I was wondering if anyone else knew of something that is black already or otherwise better suited.  The challenge I'm finding is something that will fit around the bottom tube of the 099B (1 in diameter).  The closest thing so far is the On-Stage CW3, but its opening is only 7/8".

Another idea I'm knocking around is possibly some kind of threaded cylinder weights that thread onto a 1/4" or 3/8" rod, which then attach to a 5/8" stud with the appropriate female threaded socked (Loctite all around for safety), which of course can attach to the receptacle on the 099B.  The only thing I can find like that are small weights made as archery stabilizers, but they are far too light and quite expensive.

Any thoughts?  Should I just paint a 172 black and call it a day?
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline if_then_else

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: TSKB: Boom counterweight w/ low visual impact?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 06:28:21 AM »
I just picked up a Manfrotto 124 to use my 099B extension as a boom arm.  What I'm looking for is a boom counterweight in the 3-6 lb area that is relatively small and doesn't draw attention to itself.  (As in not, blaring orange or yellow as they typically are.)

My stand is typically directly in the line of sight of the audience positioned behind a conductor, so that is why I care about appearance.  I suppose I could get a Manfrotto 172 and paint it black or cover it with gaff tape, but I was wondering if anyone else knew of something that is black already or otherwise better suited.  The challenge I'm finding is something that will fit around the bottom tube of the 099B (1 in diameter).  The closest thing so far is the On-Stage CW3, but its opening is only 7/8".

Another idea I'm knocking around is possibly some kind of threaded cylinder weights that thread onto a 1/4" or 3/8" rod, which then attach to a 5/8" stud with the appropriate female threaded socked (Loctite all around for safety), which of course can attach to the receptacle on the 099B.  The only thing I can find like that are small weights made as archery stabilizers, but they are far too light and quite expensive.

Any thoughts?  Should I just paint a 172 black and call it a day?

How about using a water bottle or ankle weights as counter weigth?

http://filmflap.blogspot.lu/2011/04/using-ankle-weights-as-sandbags.html
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 07:34:43 AM by if_then_else »

Offline LiveOnTape

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2017, 11:29:27 AM »
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/514785-REG/On_Stage_CW_6_Counterweight_6lbs.html
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/514784-REG/On_Stage_CW_3_Counterweight_3lbs.html

I don't know the outside dims of the 099B, but my experience with On-Stage stuff has been good.  If the weight doesn't fit, perhaps a short rod that connects with the 099B's lower end 5/8th quick release. 

I would just buy the black spay paint and call it a day.  Remember to sand a prime the surface for best long term adhesion. 
Recs: Sony PCM-M10 | Mixpre6 | A&H Qu-24 Qu-Drive
Mics: AKGs w CK91,92,94,97,98  | Oktava MK-012 mod | Audix M1290/1255 | Countryman B3s

Offline kingdong

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2017, 12:46:02 PM »
If you are feeling DIY, you could make one out of PVC pipe with a 5/8 stud set into one endcap.  It would be more work, but after painting it black would appear more like an extension of the 099B.  Something like endcap-1.25" PVC filled with sand or shot-endcap with 5/8 stud would be pretty simple.  If you wanted to get fancy, you could use a threaded endcap and use washers inside so you could vary the counterweight for different situations.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2017, 04:09:49 PM »
What does a Superclamp (or one of it's clones) weigh?  I'm not sure, but they sure feel heavy and if you have an extra or two you could try using them as counterweights.  Not the most streamlined option but they are already black, have significant heft and will clamp directly onto 099B.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline voltronic

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2017, 06:21:00 PM »
What does a Superclamp (or one of it's clones) weigh?  I'm not sure, but they sure feel heavy and if you have an extra or two you could try using them as counterweights.  Not the most streamlined option but they are already black, have significant heft and will clamp directly onto 099B.

Funny you say that, because that's exactly what my plan was in the short term!  I have two of them, and one can attach to the 5/8 stud and if more weight was needed, add the second by clamping their jaws together.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline voltronic

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2017, 06:30:53 PM »
If you are feeling DIY, you could make one out of PVC pipe with a 5/8 stud set into one endcap.  It would be more work, but after painting it black would appear more like an extension of the 099B.  Something like endcap-1.25" PVC filled with sand or shot-endcap with 5/8 stud would be pretty simple.  If you wanted to get fancy, you could use a threaded endcap and use washers inside so you could vary the counterweight for different situations.

That's a really great idea.  I already have about 3ft of PVC pipe which I painted black as part of a wide omni bar project.  The inside diameter holds onto 5/8" threading well, but for that project I didn't trust it under strain so I had a long 3/8" threaded rod inside running the length with a 3/8"-5/8" adapter capping each end.

As an adaptation of your idea, I wonder if one endcap could be removed and instead a 5/8" stud inserted, held in place with epoxy or liquid nails?

Thanks everyone for the great ideas!  My only aversion to buying the 172 weight and painting it I have an irrational hangup about buying something full price that I'm immediately going to modify.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

jnorman34

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2017, 07:31:37 PM »
Well, you could use about a teaspoon of neutron star material - very small, but of course it weighs enough to catapult your mic about 20 miles before it, along with the stand, sink to the center of the earth.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2017, 09:37:16 AM »
2 billion tones per teaspoon. Heavy, dude.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutronium
A teaspoon of degenerate neutronium gas would have a mass of two billion tonnes, and if moved to standard temperature and pressure, would emit 57 billion joules of β− decay energy in the first half-life (average of 95 MW of power).  [snip..] As a result, degenerate neutronium can have a density of 4×1017 kg/m3, roughly 13 magnitudes denser than the densest known ordinary substances. [snip..] all proposed forms of neutron star core material are fluids and are extremely unstable at pressures lower than that found in stellar cores. According to one analysis, a neutron star with a mass below about 0.2 solar masses will explode.

musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com