Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: flac to apple lossless on LMA  (Read 7016 times)

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: flac to apple lossless on LMA
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2017, 07:47:22 PM »
  Now the Win10 has native FLAC support, that balance has shifted of course.
Maybe some day Apple will support FLAC natively.  :tomato:
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2017, 08:26:20 AM »
Wow, I didn't know this:

ALAC is both open source and royalty-free (although this wasn't always the case).  (snip)

Really?  That's refreshing, considering the source.

And you're right that they're just as easily played in Windows as FLAC, which until recently required a third-party application.  (W10 has native FLAC support.)

It has been about five years, give or take, since they opened it up...

ALAC is really convenient if you need to operate in the Apple-verse for whatever reason; in my case, I listen to my old iPod on my extensive commute.  I tried some higher-end players that supported FLAC, but the battery life wasn't great (~ 5 hours), so I switched back (it's like M10 vs. R09).  On the iPod, it's either a wonky third party app, AAC or ALAC.

Online voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2017, 07:15:29 PM »
Wow, I didn't know this:

ALAC is both open source and royalty-free (although this wasn't always the case).  (snip)

Really?  That's refreshing, considering the source.

And you're right that they're just as easily played in Windows as FLAC, which until recently required a third-party application.  (W10 has native FLAC support.)

It has been about five years, give or take, since they opened it up...

ALAC is really convenient if you need to operate in the Apple-verse for whatever reason; in my case, I listen to my old iPod on my extensive commute.  I tried some higher-end players that supported FLAC, but the battery life wasn't great (~ 5 hours), so I switched back (it's like M10 vs. R09).  On the iPod, it's either a wonky third party app, AAC or ALAC.

Yeah, ALAC definitely has its place.  What I find somewhat amusing is the vast majority of iTunes / iPod users probably have no idea what it is...

Is Rockbox the wonky third-party app you speak of?  I used that for a while on my old iPod 5.5g so I could load it up with FLACs.  It was a headache to set up, but in the days before I had a phone that accepted big microSD cards, it was the only way for me to go portable with lossless files without having to convert to ALAC.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2017, 09:19:30 AM »
^ No, not Rockbox.  Mine is a 64 GB iPod Touch (not sure exactly which generation), probably five or six years old, so I tried a couple of the apps available for iOS.  One, which was paid, was called FLAC Player.  It was supposed to be good, but hung up regularly.  I also tried a couple of free ones that were similarly afflicted (or worse).  So ALAC it is!  Actually, if my stereo firmware hadn't been upgraded to allow ALAC playback, I probably would have stuck to FLAC and just played AAC on the iPod (it's so noisy on the train that it probably doesn't matter very much)...

Offline Taper Chris

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • wusupwitit?
    • what I've posted on archive
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2017, 10:20:20 AM »
  Now the Win10 has native FLAC support, that balance has shifted of course.
Maybe some day Apple will support FLAC natively.  :tomato:

that would be great
"The thing about choosing the lesser of two evils is that your still choosing evil." JG

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com