Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Clipping  (Read 3104 times)

Offline in2blues

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Clipping
« on: February 05, 2017, 01:01:09 PM »
I mostly use  Church Ca-11>Church battery box>Sony PCM-M10. When I set levels I usually turn up till just clips red lights, then back off a notch.  Looking at recordings it seems like I should be recording at higher levels but I'm afraid of clipping in recording. This "clipping" happened the first time I used deck but didn't have battery box at that time. Should I be setting my levels higher ? and does battery box make difference when setting levels?

ilduclo

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Clipping
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2017, 01:19:26 PM »
battery box shouldn't make any difference with levels, but be sure to use it and make sure the battery is fresh (replace every 3 months or so, and don't leave mics plugged into it when you are not recording or getting ready to record, that is don't leave it on the shelf for days with the mics plugged into the battery box)

you absolutely need the battery box when recording!

you can record at a lower level than red, I try to keep the db meters at -12 or less, but record at 24 bit then you can amplify when you are processing your recording.

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2017, 07:06:55 PM »
The goal should be to never clip red. If you record in 24-bit, peaking around -12dB (i.e., just occasionally triggering the yellow lights) is plenty of signal.

That said, if you turn the M10's limiter on, it will handle the occasional accidental red clip.

Offline Cheesecadet

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • http://db.etree.org/cheesecadet
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2017, 11:07:33 AM »
I personally like to run my levels at about -6dB with peaks around -3dB. I use an m10 with limited just in case. I just like the way my recordings sound at those levels. Seems like bass is punchier if that makes send also keeps the noise floor lower when editing in post in my experience
AKG 481's, DPA 4061's (Matched), AT ES933's w/ AT853-ELE's (SC/C/O), ECM-19B's, MixPre-3, A10, M10 x 2, Hi Ho Silvers, Various Darktrain & GAKables

Vinyl:
Fluance RT83 Reference > MCS 3230 Receiver > Realistic MC-500's (NOS)

Upcoming:
02/10 J. Dilla
02/14 Wiliie Waldman & The Chocolate Factory
02/15 Gabe & Giz
02/16 GM5
02/28 Grace Potter

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com