Gear / Technical Help > Microphones & Setup

open taping - how high to put the mics on a stand ??

(1/2) > >>

pillowman:
Heya !

last weekend I had the opportunity to give the 'open taping'
method my first try. I used an home made stand (see the pics)
and a pair of AT853cards (w/4.7 k mod) placed around 3 mtr up
right beside the mixing desk.
When I checked the recording at home I liked what I heard but
for my taste the recording includes to much crowd talk.
So the question is were the mics placed to low or did I used the
wrong capsules ?
What I wanted to capture was some live feeling for an sbd / aud
matrix for further video clips.
So any help what I can do better for my second  try  :shrug:
any help would be awesome
cheers
pillowman

pillowman:

lsd2525:
Generally, the higher you go, the further you are away from people, thus less crowd noise. You're always going to have some; the cards reject sounds from the side and back, but in the front it's not going to reject from "up" and "down".

noahbickart:
In order to be of much help, I'd need a few other pieces of information:

1) What kind of music was this?
2) What kind of PA, and how loud?
3) What was your location relative to the PA, and how much flexibility do you have in placement?

In general, when trying to tape a PA, you might begin to at one point of an equilateral triangle, in which each PA stack forms another point.

Cardioids are likely to yield good results if set-up properly. You might want to search the forums on the "Stereophonic Zoom."

pillowman:

--- Quote from: noahbickart on April 13, 2017, 02:50:32 PM ---In order to be of much help, I'd need a few other pieces of information:

1) What kind of music was this?
2) What kind of PA, and how loud?
3) What was your location relative to the PA, and how much flexibility do you have in placement?

In general, when trying to tape a PA, you might begin to at one point of an equilateral triangle, in which each PA stack forms another point.

Cardioids are likely to yield good results if set-up properly. You might want to search the forums on the "Stereophonic Zoom."

--- End quote ---

òla !

here ar some more facts to get a clue what I've done and how, ...

from the pic you can imagine how far the stand was placed and how the speakers were placed.
The venues will have around 500 - 1000 peolpe capacity and the stand will always be placed close to the mixing desk.

the concert was l amplified ike this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SktPnKVYg8I

The goal is to record the live sound to give the sdb source more live, atmosphere for the live video clips.

hope this additionally details will help a bit,
cu
pillowman

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version