Gear / Technical Help > Microphones & Setup

480 W/ ck63 curious about outdoor usage

(1/3) > >>

waltmon:
Curious to hear any experiences running these outdoors as a full bodied mic or with actives. I almost always have used cards (or omni's up close) outside unless I am running 4 channel which is usually a cardioid pair plus a hyper pair.

Thanks

darby:

--- Quote from: waltmon on May 16, 2017, 03:53:37 PM ---Curious to hear any experiences running these outdoors as a full bodied mic or with actives. I almost always have used cards (or omni's up close) outside unless I am running 4 channel which is usually a cardioid pair plus a hyper pair.

Thanks

--- End quote ---

Walt,
they can be effective outdoors if Pointed Outside Speakers just like bad sounding venues, but they will be light in the bottom end though.
I used my 63s with actives last summer outdoors to record YMSB opening for moe., which I used my ck1s ORTF.
I like the in your face sound with 63s for the quieter bluegrass set, and think the 1s would not have sounded as nice.

vanark:
I love running my 480's with ck63's outdoors. I don't feel it is missing anything. You can find some of my recordings on the LMA. Check the link in my signature.

datbrad:
Walt, glad you finally came around to AKGs ; )

I've used 63s outside, and the main thing that's different to my ears is the lack of indirect/reflected room sound that's always a large part of what gets to the mics at indoor shows. I've found that if you set them up right, you can get a great recording with less local chatter around the mics picked up. Hypers can be tricky, as you know from your Neumann days. If the split/angle is too wide, you get an unfocused image with a hole in the center. If you point them directly on axis with the PA, the image collapses and can end up sounding brittle and lacking in bass just below the midrange, while sometimes still picking up the deep bass, resulting in thinness in the mid frequency range that makes vocals sound honky. Best advice, try to have the axis of each mic just outside the stacks as another poster suggested. Usually 75-80 degrees is where you'll end up, 25ish cm distance between the caps. Hope to see you one of these days. Do you ever make it back to the Va Beach area? Don't be a stranger. Later....

willndmb:
I have run 61 and63 outside with fine results from both

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version