Gear / Technical Help > Microphones & Setup

Dividing my equipment between 2 stages at festival questions/advice

(1/2) > >>

HealthCov Chris:
Ok, I know you all will say there are too many variables to settle on a single answer, but I am just looking for feedback from all you season hardened taper vets out there.  So, here is my scenerio and current equipment.

-Pair AKG 483
-Pair AKG 461
-CA-14 omni (battery box)
-Tascam DR-60D
-Tascam DR-70D
-2 adequate tripods and the necessary accessories to run 3ft splits on both, and additional center channels   

I am leaving to Wind Rider Music Festival tomorrow (Thursday) and am planning on taping at both stages.  There is no gaps between performances as they prep on stage while the other is in action, then kick it off when the other stage finishes.  For this reason, I need to have two separate rigs set up (one at each stage).  While I will have soundboard access to most of the bands, there are a few that will likely not allow the sbd.  I am thinking of the following setups:

MAIN STAGE -   Channels 1/2: AKG 461 (split between 2-3ft) + Channel 3: AKG 483 (center) + Channel 4: SBD > Tascam DR-70D
     - I have never run split cards, but have heard it once and it sounded pretty damn good.  I believe the 70D allows for 4 mono channel recording

SECOND STAGE: Channels 1/2: AKG 483 (center) or SBD + Channels 3/4: CA-14o (split 3ft) > Tascam DR-60
     - I am not certain, but I think the my only options for the DR-60D are two stereo channels (1/2 & 3/4), one stereo channel (1/2), or Dual recording (1/2 & 1/2 -6db).  So, there seems to be no way to get the AKG 483 (center) + CA-14o + SBD all on the DR-60d.  Is this correct?

It's times like this I regret selling my DR-680mkii!

Anyone have any other configuration suggestions that may work better?   

billydee:
I'm not sure what to advise exactly but it seems you can't go wrong with those options

Are you assuming the soundboard feed will be mono? Anyhow, my good friend James will be mixing for two of the bands there today (Elder Grown and The Brothers Gow) and is always glad to help a taper with a board feed etc. Find him and say hello.

Wish I could join you, should be a blast.
Good luck!

F.O.Bean:
Set everything up so that you have enough battery or can easily hot-swap USB batteries, so that you ONLY have to hit RECORD at the start of the day at that stage, and then STOP at the end of the night! Forget about running back and forth to turn your deck's on & off & hit RECORD & STOP! That will just make you miss all kinds of music ;)

Then when you get home you can slice up the recordings pretty easily and end up deleting all of the extra space! That's why I ALWAYS have a couple bigger SDXC Cards & hot-swap my USB batteries, so that I can just record all day long, whether there's music being played at that time or not ;)

acidjack:
Splitting cards is really silly and will cost you a lot of wasted effort, especially with that SBD. Split cards w/ center hyper is even worse. Do what's simple and effective and sounds good. Use the card pair + SBD on the main stage, run the cards DIN or ORTF (if you must have that "open" sound people love) and run the hypers + SBD on the second stage. Both will sound good. Be sure to run limiters or something on the SBD channels as they're likely to be way more variable in volume. And remember, as Bean said, the key is being able to set it and forget it.

HealthCov Chris:
Thanks fellows.  I got to this too late and learned some hard lessons this weekend, especially the first day.  I tried to do too much and wasted a lot of time and missed some music as well.  Lesson learned.  I went simple on days 2 & 3 (single pair with sbd).  Will do the "set and forget" method next time for sure, especially since I was at 9800ft elevation and had 2 kids and a girlfriend with me.  Exhausting! 

I think I also need some attenuators for future soundboard channels as I got some popping noises from time to time from the deep beats.  I don't know anything about them.  Any suggestions?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version