Gear / Technical Help > Ask The Tapers

Common "Workflows" Post-Recording- Specifically file management

(1/5) > >>

Mr.Fantasy:
Hey there!

I have recording stacking up and I am trying to share all this stuff (.wav files) with my dad and brother.

Just recorded Dead & Co. at Folsom Field, and I took my masters, did some normalization, split tracks, and dithered to 16/44.1 in Audition...then exported. But my .wav files are pretty large...so my dad and brother were having issues with them. So I feel like I might need to compress these files a bit for them. Don't really want to loose much quality, but would like to get smaller files.

I have the concern above, and then I was wondering what most people do with their recordings? As in, do you end up burning to CD? Do you just keep FLACS? How about sharing with friends & family?

rippleish20:
In what way do your Dad & Brother have problems with the file sizes?

heathen:
You could certainly compress to flac for sharing.  I'm keeping my raw original master files (wav), and the "final product" in flac.  I don't burn to CDs for myself, but I do have redundant hard drives for backup.

Mr.Fantasy:

--- Quote from: rippleish20 on June 15, 2017, 11:00:19 AM ---In what way do your Dad & Brother have problems with the file sizes?

--- End quote ---

Well, I have a paid Dropbox account, so I have lot's of space. I put the tracks into a folder on my dropbox and shared it with them. When I was at my folks house last night, he was having trouble because his dropbox (free account) didn't have enough room to download the files to. I really am not trying to get this stuff into his dropbox, but onto his computer. So I was thinking, either I transfer the files to him a different way, or a reduce their size.

And yeah, I do FLACs myself, but these guys aren't hip to all of that. They need more consumer-level files. I was thinking of going all the way to mp3s...but it just kills me to do that.

I guess I have never really settled into a set "process" so I have been slow in processing recordings, etc. I want to get a system going where I do x, y, z (or however many steps) and I do that every time so my stuff is consistent.

Like naming for instance....I have no set naming philosophy. I see some file names on LMA and it takes a decoder ring to figure them out.

aaronji:
I save the raw files (usually 24/48) and the edited file(s) (after EQ, normalization, fades, etc.).  Then, I resample and dither to 16/44.1, track and flac.  I throwaway the resampled/dithered file and the tracked wav files.  I also save the CDWave track file and flac fingerprints.  So, in the end, I have the raw and edited files and tracked flacs. 

To transfer, try putting the wav files in a folder and zip it, then transfer via WeTransfer.  Break it into two folders if necessary.  This is free and easy.  Also, you can install a flac converter in Foobar which is simple to use.  Transferring flacs is much easier...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version