Gear / Technical Help > Remote Power

AA Batteries? What's the best rechargeables?

(1/9) > >>

justink:
What do we have in 2017?

does the charger matter at all?  or is it all in the battery itself? 

i figure any charger will charge, the only variable is how quickly.  so, i shouldn't need to upgrade my charger, just the battery itself, right?

rippleish20:
Panasonic Eneloop Pro

justink:

--- Quote from: rippleish20 on October 12, 2017, 11:46:07 AM ---Panasonic Eneloop Pro

--- End quote ---

Thought so.

Would an energizer charger work just fine with these?

GLouie:
I think any of the Eneloop family is the gold standard for AA NiMHs. Some have a bit more power, but less cycles.

I also feel the charger makes a difference, dumb vs. smart. You can balance charge time, heat & cell life, and the charger should use the dV/dt charge sensing and be reliable at detecting end of charge.

Personally, I use a Maha-Powerex MH-C9000, although there are several others well thought of. My understanding is that the charge rate should optimally be about 0.5-1C, so a 2000mAh Eneloop should be charged at 1000mA-2000mA. I understand that this Maha undercharges slightly and does a tiny trickle charge after it says, "full," but never totally shuts off. You are supposed to remove the cells after an overnight charge & sit, I guess.

voltronic:
I've been using the 2400 mAh Duracell Ion Core for a few years, and they are excellent.  They are re-branded Eneloop XX's but cheaper and often found in supermarkets and drugstores.

Here is testing showing that these are the same as Eneloop XX.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version