Gear / Technical Help > Microphones & Setup

Why no Schoeps Shotgun capsules?

(1/2) > >>

noahbickart:
The Schoeps MiniCMIT http://www.schoeps.de/en/products/minicmit, seems like it would work very well with an mk8 and a kcy cable.

Does anyone care to speculate why the shotgun microphones are stand alone affairs, and they haven't developed a capsule version which can be used with the rest of the modular colette system?

Gutbucket:
Good question.  Seems like the non-digital mini and the 5 could be / should be.

voltronic:
The most obvious reason I see is because of the on-board filters (switchable on the CMIT 5; fixed on the MiniCMIT).  Those filters likely require more room than they could fit into a capsule, and I'm not sure where in the circuit those filters are being applied.  If I had to guess, it would be following the amp stage.  Any builders or Schoeps experts have any insight?

I suppose they could make a separate shotgun capsule with no filtering, but then that's additional post work for the dialog people who are using these heavily every day.  The on-board filtering is probably so much more convenient.

Gutbucket:
Right, filter circuitry and switches are typically found in the amplifier body.

Not having those, the MiniCMIT would be the obvious candidate for a colette option.

voltronic:

--- Quote from: Gutbucket on October 17, 2017, 09:02:47 AM ---Right, filter circuitry and switches are typically found in the amplifier body.

Not having those, the MiniCMIT would be the obvious candidate for a colette option.

--- End quote ---

No switches, but the MiniCMIT does have filtering; it's fixed at 70 Hz.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version