Gear / Technical Help > Ask The Tapers

Favorite 4 channel deck under $700

(1/8) > >>

MBHOTAPER:
I just purchased some mbho wide cards to run for Wanee"s second stage this year. Wondering which 4-channel deck you would recommend for under $700 and why? I prefer xlr in. Thanks

voltronic:
Tascam DR-70D.  Every time I think I'll upgrade to a SD MixPre-6 I listen to my recordings and realize there's no need.  Info linked in my signature if you're not familiar with it.

You don't have many other choices under $700 with 4 or more phantom-powered XLR inputs.  Off the top of my head, I can only think of the Zoom H6 and the Zoom F4.  I've used the H6 on several occasions and I strongly prefer the 70D.  I've never used an F4, but I have heard very good things about it.

EDIT: I completely forgot about the Tascam DR-680 which has extensive discussion from many users here.  There's also the Tascam DR-701D (if you need HDMI camera sync) and Marantz PMD-706.

MBHOTAPER:

--- Quote from: voltronic on February 06, 2018, 06:31:08 AM ---Tascam DR-70D.  Every time I think I'll upgrade to a SD MixPre-6 I listen to my recordings and realize there's no need.  Info linked in my signature if you're not familiar with it.

You don't have many other choices under $700 with 4 or more phantom-powered XLR inputs.  Off the top of my head, I can only think of the Zoom H6 and the Zoom F4.  I've used the H6 on several occasions and I strongly prefer the 70D.  I've never used an F4, but I have heard very good things about it.

EDIT: I completely forgot about the Tascam DR-680 which has extensive discussion from many users here.  There's also the Tascam DR-701D (if you need HDMI camera sync) and Marantz PMD-706.

--- End quote ---
Do you prefer the dr-70d or the dr-680? I appreciate the insight I was looking at an r44 that lists new around $680 glad there are other good options. I imagine the mixpre6 might go around $700 once the micpre10 starts circulating also.

nolamule:
Another option: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=185250.0

mccordo:

--- Quote from: MBHOTAPER on February 06, 2018, 06:49:14 AM ---Do you prefer the dr-70d or the dr-680? I appreciate the insight I was looking at an r44 that lists new around $680 glad there are other good options. I imagine the mixpre6 might go around $700 once the micpre10 starts circulating also.

--- End quote ---

Not sure if you’re focused on new, eBay and the YS had used R44s selling for around $400 last time I looked around, sometimes even lower if you’re lucky.

I owned a DR680 for a few days (literally) about 4 years ago after I bought one on Amazon when they did a big price cut one day. I felt like it was too complicated (at the time...I may see it differently today, but kinda doubt it) and would have returned it had I not traded it for a V2 in the YS. I can’t speak for the DR70 directly, but I did seriously consider either the DR70 or DR60, and decided against it. I bought a new DR100mkII when I got into taping, and while it was a nice enough deck, I felt like the build quality wasn’t the strongest for what we do (outdoors, in clubs/bars/GA pits, surrounded by drunks and wooks, and other ‘occupational hazards’). I’ve not had any issues with it, but I felt like I needed to graduate beyond Tascam in terms of build quality. I’m sure it’s fine for a lot of people in a lot of situations, but I just didn’t feel like it met my needs.

I know it’s not in your budget now, but the MixPre 6 is absolutely the best deck I’ve owned/used. Being able to leave the V2, extra battery, interconnects, etc. at home almost would have been worth the cost on its own, but it is built super solid, is easy to use, the preamps sound incredible and I’ve recorded for 8 straight hours (granted only 2 channel in this particular case) with the smallish external battery still at ~40% capacity. If you can afford it, I think you’d be happy with a MP6.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version