Gear / Technical Help > Ask The Tapers

Does digital drift exist? (marco benevento at schubas chicago cont)

(1/5) > >>

Elguapo511:
i recorded this show w four miss on the stage (dr2d four track recorder)
Then I plugged in a two track recorder (dr07) to the sound board.

no problems. and a totally radical show.
but

I loaded them all into audacity and aligned them, yet there is still drift at the end.  Does digital drift exist.

What tools do are available for making a matrix and do i have cut the tracks and re align every track?

thanks for any help.

kingdong:
Two different devices may/will have internal clocks that run at slightly different speed.  Over the length of a whole show you will usually see a slightly different file length.  When I have to fix this I typically use Audacity and stretch the shorter file to be the length of the longer.
http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/change_speed.html

The process I loosely use is to open both waveforms in the same Audacity project and align the beginning of the files.  Then I go the the end of the files and look for an identifiable peak.  I will note the time difference between the two and use that amount to stretch the shorter file.  Since we are typically talking about less than a second over the course of a set I don't worry about the very slight pitch shift that this will induce.  I haven't noticed it to cause phasing issues or other atrifacts, but I don't have the most discerning ear on this forum by a long shot.

if_then_else:
Even if the tracks are aligned perfectly there might be some issues with the timestretching / pitch correction algorithm on the resulting mix-down file  - e.g. depending on the genre. E.g. I was having some issues with 2 psychedelic rock and drone music recordings and the default algorithm in Samplitude 10.2. No issues with the same project and the "élastique pro" algorithm.

Elguapo511:
gotcha.  this is what i was looking for.  Ill give it a try.

also,  any real time eq available for mac? and free

Elguapo511:
sooo.... i recorded the show with four mics and two soundboard channels.

is there a way to mark a point in one track, then mark another point in another track.  then match those points up automatically.

I am having trouble aligning the tracks, i can't seem to get them together.   

i used math, and the track move tool.

just wondering if I can do it with less guessing.

thanks

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version