Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: help with upgradin rig :)  (Read 10502 times)

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
help with upgradin rig :)
« on: June 22, 2003, 07:54:33 PM »
ok, so I am currently running MD because I don't want to invest in a DAT with the advent of harddisc recorders.  I'm just waiting till a nice portable and fairly priced one is available.

And because I do a lot of stealth taping, I need small(er) mics.  I currently have a sony ms907 (yeah, go ahead and laugh) but it was a good investment when I first started as I didn't know about this wonderful site to help me then.  Now I am looking to spend about $1000-1500 total on some new gear towards the end of this summer. I don't own a a/d or a pre either, but may be up for buying one or both.
I am kinda leaning towards the Audix Micros as my mic of choice because I'm looking for small quality cardiods, with a ps2 as the p/s, but any input would be appreciated.  Also,   So my question to you all is what do you recommend?

keep in mind:
1) I stealth so mic size is important and I can't sneak in a stand
2) price range
3) portability for stealthing purposes (sorry no UA-5 for me)

now, some might say, why would you waste all this on an MD? So let's just pretend I own a DAT recorder ;)

DaryanLenz

• Trade Count: (0)
Re:help with upgradin rig :)
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2003, 08:31:21 PM »
OOH, I like these questions.  If on ther 1500 dollar budget...I reccomend the audix micros, dpa 406x, possibly even the mbho actives (used).  Then I would probably ditch the mini-disc and get either a dat (used) or a JB3 (new).  Remember, the biggest difference overall is the mics as far as sound goes, so I reccomend spending the largest amount there.  The two micr mics are in the 500 dollar range...the mbho's would run around 900/1000 new.  Stealth wise, the mp2 can't be beat, and sounds much better than a ps-2->ad20 rig by far.  Just run line into a dat/jb3 if this would be the way you were going to go.  I bet audix/dpa->mp2 would be a phatty stealth rig.  500 mics/500 mp-2/ 500 leftover for cables , batteries etc.

My two cents, and again this was based on stealth not stand taping!

daryan

Offline zhianosatch

• Trade Count: (1)
  • god-damned hippies!
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2003, 08:43:07 PM »
Good call, D. Don't want to start a fight, but from the limited amount that I've heard, I think the Sax SX-M2 would be even better sound-wise (not to mention stealth-wise). I might want to try one myself with these here 4061s.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2003, 08:46:11 PM »
the mp-2 is actually smaller than the sax, and sounds sweet with some rigs.  Scott Brown uses the MP-2 for any non V3 stealthing gig, and the results are nice....alot depends on the mics you are using

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2003, 08:52:57 PM »
Yeah, Scott's a pretty experienced taper too :)
I'll be using DPA 4061s for the foreseeable future.

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2003, 08:53:13 PM »
thanx D :) +T for the input
I was thinkin the Micros because armen has the 4061s and we go to a lot of the same shows. I don't care for the MBHOs much, and I'd need to hear some quality micro recording before I make a decision.  Only $500 for BOTH audix capsules? thats better than I planned.  The mp-2 is plausible but armen tells me the sonosax may be a better pre for what I'm doing, we'll see.  I'm gonna stick with the MD until I can get a HD recorder that is a recorder only (no pre and a/d) and is 24/192 so it is SACD quality.

I have to check the ins and outs on everything, make sure it's feasable, cuz I ain't going sbm-1 to my MD ;) (7-pin > optical???HAHHAHA)

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2003, 08:56:29 PM »
Schwilly, there's a load of mp2s being sold. I'm not the only one giving input here; I'm only going on what few Tool and selected bluegrass CDs I have with those pres in the mix.

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2003, 08:59:26 PM »
yeah, I know Z, just gotta listen and make me own decision

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2003, 09:04:19 PM »
unfortunately/fortunately, there are alot of options out there in that price range and for stealthing...everything from DPA's to Schoeps billbox systems (well in that range without the caps), etc.  I think the best advice I can give is trust your ears, and also when it comes to stealthing, consider the amount of gear.  For example, I am planning on upgrading late this year, early next year to more of a low profile rig that will allow me to stealth/stand tape with good results with the same set of mics.  I have always liked the Neumann KM140 series, but even with the active cables, I would have to haul around the bodies...not a real good plan when I am trying to get metal through a metal detector to have to hide to bodies.  As a result, I am leaning towards the 4022's, Schoeps billbox or AKG JK labs setup.  I guess the point I am getting at here, is consider all aspects of use prior to purchase, it will make it easier to avoid having to make another purchase decision in the short term
« Last Edit: June 22, 2003, 09:04:43 PM by nickgregory »

Offline tadjblack

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2003, 09:10:00 PM »
I think those new Josephson mics might be worth a listen too. There was a guy on the Oade board with some downloads a few days ago I think he ran with an mp2>d100. I don't know if they'd be small enough for you but they look pretty small from what I've seen.
Team Bama Alumni

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2003, 09:28:07 PM »
thanx all for the input
I can't go 4022, too expensive
Wasn't gonna go with the mk4 or something similar cuz there's another guy in the area running those.
The Josephsons are almost twice as big as the audix micros.
But again, I just need to get some shows and listen to them, see what I like.  
The mp-2 is looking good, Looks big too, but if yall say it's crotchable...
so I'm thinkin audix micros > mp-2 > MD ;D
and I already have the xlr (f) > 1/8" cable (thanx nick ;) )

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2003, 09:43:20 PM »
prob with this rig:  no a/d (until it hits my MD's a/d)

on the other hand, the micros need 48-52V p/s - mp-2 can provide that

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2003, 12:23:33 AM »
i can se yer pic, schwilly...... 8)

go w/ those micros.that way we can do comp tapes..... ;)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2003, 01:28:37 AM »
kpow, I thought I wanted the Sonic Studios for a while, but I started listening to more high end cardioid stuff and I really want go Cardioid so thats why I'm staying away from the CSBs, DPA 406Xs, and I think the OKMIIs are omnis too, maybe ???

Bean, if you get them before me, I'd love to heard some product so I can make a definate decision, or if you can send me something done with the 1244/45s Bean, I'd really appreciate. Thanx

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2003, 02:01:54 AM »
kpow, I thought I wanted the Sonic Studios for a while, but I started listening to more high end cardioid stuff and I really want go Cardioid so thats why I'm staying away from the CSBs, DPA 406Xs, and I think the OKMIIs are omnis too, maybe ???

Bean, if you get them before me, I'd love to heard some product so I can make a definate decision, or if you can send me something done with the 1244/45s Bean, I'd really appreciate. Thanx

1244/45's??? you mean 1245/1290's.......sorry for being a smart ass.....if ya wanna do the stealth/indoor thing alot, id go w/ the 1290's cause ya can switch the caps......from cards to hypers in about a minute.... ;)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2003, 02:06:07 AM »
Yes, those are all omnis.

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2003, 02:31:57 AM »

1244/45's??? you mean 1245/1290's.......sorry for being a smart ass.....if ya wanna do the stealth/indoor thing alot, id go w/ the 1290's cause ya can switch the caps......from cards to hypers in about a minute.... ;)
bean, this site
http://www.audixusa.com/Acrobat/the_micros_04-2003.pdf
the 44s/45s are the short ones, the 90s are the longer ones
I was gonna go short but we'll see

Offline Lee

• Team Bama
  • "I hate the f***in' eagles, man!"
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2003, 03:26:11 AM »
As for pre/A/D... why not wait for the SD HD box?  Pre>A/D>HD recorder all-in-one and it's the size of the USBPre...

As for mics, get some DPA's... your tapes will thank you :)

The MP-2 is definately stealthable; but you have to be pretty careful when crotching it, it bites :o

I don't think this has been mentioned, but the PSP-2 I just bought is the same size as the MP-2 and stepped-gain- set it and forget it!
Denon AVR 3808ci > Paradigm Reference Studio 20 + Velodyne DLS 3750

DaryanLenz

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2003, 10:55:44 AM »
Good call, D. Don't want to start a fight, but from the limited amount that I've heard, I think the Sax SX-M2 would be even better sound-wise (not to mention stealth-wise). I might want to try one myself with these here 4061s.

I agree wholeheartedly about the sax.  However, finidng one used can be a bitch (about 6-700) and new would run 950 I think.  The sax rocks, but I was trying to stay under budget!

daryan

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2003, 11:04:34 AM »
don't be too quick to poo-poo the MBHO's. If you will be using them up close for stealthing they are a great mic, but up close is the key.
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline iphone

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2003, 11:39:38 AM »
Z,
if you are stealthing you only need one mike.
for steatlts( as in passing gorillaz at the door and search etc) i run
jk lans mono channel dual output gefell solution.basically a gefell caps ,active cable and a battery box.
i paid 800 for the box and cable.you can add a pre to the box,which will add another 250 on the box.

http://www.geocities.com/jk_labs/

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2003, 12:57:30 PM »
don't be too quick to poo-poo the MBHO's. If you will be using them up close for stealthing they are a great mic, but up close is the key.

thats the thing creek
I won't always be able to get close to the source

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2003, 07:39:27 PM »
well, with the mp-2 going off the market, what's gonna be the price difference between that and the sonosax?

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2003, 08:11:09 PM »

thats the thing creek
I won't always be able to get close to the source

well, if you can't get close a lot I would look at something else. If there is one thing I learned about the MBHO's is that up very close they sound about as good as anything else out there, but from the section they aren't the strongest mic, good, but not the best.
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.312 seconds with 48 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com