Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 744/722 "Media too slow" Message  (Read 65426 times)

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: 744/722 "Media too slow" Message
« Reply #165 on: May 02, 2005, 11:51:51 AM »
SD was first notified of this split problem riday morning, and we'll have a fix by wed.  that is cool

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #166 on: May 02, 2005, 12:03:54 PM »
SD was first notified of this split problem riday morning, and we'll have a fix by wed.  that is cool

i haven't seen a discussion of the split problem, can you point me to it?  i'm curious cause when i ran michael's I noticed that one channel was a "sample" or something longer than the other on 1 or 2 of the splits.  not really that big of a deal, but curious if you saw the same problem or a different one?

Offline JasonR

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Schoepsoholic
« Reply #167 on: May 02, 2005, 12:17:16 PM »

Very impressive!  They first duplicated the problem in-house within a few business hours of initial notification (Friday), and today we already have notification of an upcomming firmware fix.  I'm feeling so much more confident about picking up a 722 today.  :)  I was planning to run without splits and deal with the overly large WAVs in post, but this is great news.  First recording will be Arlo Guthrie on Saturday - front row balcony, DFC.  :)

dmonterisi - The thread on SoundDevicesSupport.com is here: http://sounddevicessupport.com/viewtopic.php?t=192 (reg required)

- Jason
Schoeps MK21,MK4,MK41,MK41V,MK8 > CMC5/Naiant Tinybox/PFAs > Sound Devices 744T, Sony PCM-M10
DPA 4060 (CS HEB) > SD 744T, M10

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #168 on: May 02, 2005, 12:37:03 PM »
i can't get to the SD forum, i don't own CSBs, much less a 722.... :P

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #169 on: May 02, 2005, 12:49:43 PM »
relevant posts on it for Damon:

i have my 722 set to auto split at 2GB

tonight the 2GB split was not clean at all. i seem to have some lost music and also some repeated music.

i have an SDINFO.TXT file in the SOUNDDEV dir. does that mean i had an error?

i'm on 1.32 and i formatted the drive before running this take. never had a problem on firmware before 1.32

from Scott, describing the problem

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

i've experienced the same type of glitch twice.

the first time a segment was repeated at the end of a file. in addition a relatively short (5-10 secs) file was created with a different repeated segment.

the second time a segment was repeated at the end of the file. there was no additional repeated short file.

i described the first episode to sd tech support two days ago.

from not logged in

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Never mind on sending the stuff. I think that I've duplicated it here. Just to make sure that it is the same exact thing:

I am seeing a problem only at the very end of the file (last second or so - it varies), where there will either be a section of silence or a tiny loop from earlier.

Is this exactly what you both are seeing? Please let me know as soon as you can.

Thanks,
Matt

from Matt at SD

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #170 on: May 02, 2005, 01:00:31 PM »
thanks nick...not the issue that i saw, but i bet that was fixed already anyway, if it was even a common problem at all....

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #171 on: May 02, 2005, 04:25:23 PM »
Thanks for the more detailed input, boogie.

many devices can record, and in fact most people who record at high bit rates today are NOT using dedicated "portable recorders"

So what devices are they using - non-portable, rack-mounted devices?  I'm genuinely curious.  My assumption (perhaps a poor one) was that most users utilize the V3  as a portable field device.  For mobile or studio rack-mounted, I assumed people would select a different pre/ADC.  I know I would.

-the 722 has a firewire port that could potentially be used as an input in the future with different firmware (SD has already discussed using the firewire port for direct 722-device (DVD-R, HD, etc) support in the future with firmware releases 2.x)

Exciting to see SD built the potential into the device - does the fact that the mere potential exists mean that they've committed to delivering this upgrade strategy?  :P

in fact today i can hook up an R-1 or an R-4 to my computer and record to them directly....so in fact they DO support input over their high speed interface...

Ehhh...but then you still have to lug around a PC/Mac/laptop.  Defeats the whole point of the portable recorder - IMO the point is to replace PC/Mac/laptops in the field with these more easily powered, easily configured, reliable devices.

too bad the V3 is a "stupid" box without a control OS that could perform this function even if it had high speed interfaces

Curious - what other currently available truly portable pres/ADCs have a control OS to support this function?  I'm wondering if Grace lags behind the market, or if the market is yet to materialize / stabilize - really, just seeking to understand the current state.

-nearly every apple laptop made for the last several years has a firewire port that could be used for input and recording from the V3

True enough, but adding a simple, inexpensive transfer device provides this connectivity.  I appreciate your desire to remove the intermediate step - that's why I got my V3 modded for optical output, to remove that intermediate step.

-many pc/x86 laptops made in the last several years have a firewire port that can be used for input (the ones that dont have it natively are easily upgraded) from the V3

So one may easily upgrades the PC to support firewire, or easily add an interface device - I don't see the difference.  They're both easy, inexpensive solutions.

firewire is a a BETTER choice for a high speed interconnect than USB as it is a peer-peer technology and not a master-slave technology. unfortunatly some manufacturers have historically seen firewire as a less compatible interface than USB or USB2..this belief is changing as the obvious technical benefits of firewire, esp in device chains is apparent

No doubt peer-to-peer is better than master-slave.  As you suggest, hopefully the industry is recognizing the power of the this type of interface.

Anyway, perhaps my assumption above (re portable field devices) is poor, but mainly my perspective is that even now it's premature for Grace to consider a firewire add-on to the V3 since I don't know of any truly portable devices that would support the firewire input (other than laptops, which IMO are a PITA).  So...take away my poor assumption - which seems what you were getting at with your last post - and my stance becomes worthless.

Thanks for the informative discussion, boogie, and apologies for my getting a little cranky along the way.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Brian

« Reply #172 on: May 02, 2005, 04:31:49 PM »
ok so say you have a V3 with a firewire out? then what?  you have to bring along you laptop computer or a recorder witha  FW input.  If it's the former then you are lugging out a laptop(+ external battery) instead of the recorder with digital input.  Defeats the purpose if you ask me.  If it's the latter then you still have to transfer to a computer to track out/edit/master your recordings....an intermediate step no?

to me, a firewire solution for the V3 is pointless unless you plan on bringing out a computer of some sort to record instead of a HD recorder.

or did i miss something in this exchange?

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #173 on: May 02, 2005, 04:36:28 PM »
to me, a firewire solution for the V3 is pointless unless you plan on bringing out a computer of some sort to record instead of a HD recorder.

at the timeframe that Boogie is referring to, laptop was still the only way to get 24 bit recordings...this is back when the V3 initially came out

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #174 on: May 02, 2005, 04:42:58 PM »
>>Exciting to see SD built the potential into the device - does the fact that the mere potential exists mean that they've committed to delivering this upgrade strategy? <<

SD hasn't said they'd do it though.  Grace kind of mislead the public by stating they just hadn't decided on which interface yet.  i think that's boogie's only point. 

Offline Joe w.

• esniper
  • Turn JB Up
« Reply #175 on: May 02, 2005, 07:45:51 PM »
If anyone wants to borrow my V3>dap1 LMK ;D ;D ;D

can I get a copy of your Saturday night Raleigh?  Soulive in NYC? 

:P

Point taken. Lets not talk about that Soulive show. I've never seen that much tape come out of a deck! But still, my average over the raleigh>cola run was higher than the 722's. The sat second set was all that took a dump on me and still managed to kick an analog V3 to your 722. (so at least the set was not lost)

Oh yeah, I need a copy of that.

no copy for you :P

2016 National Champions
five generations with an unlocked door and a loaded burglar alarm

Offline Joe w.

• esniper
  • Turn JB Up
« Reply #176 on: May 02, 2005, 07:47:59 PM »
oh, i need a copy of the first night  8)
2016 National Champions
five generations with an unlocked door and a loaded burglar alarm

Offline JasonR

• Taperssection Member
  • Schoepsoholic
« Reply #177 on: May 02, 2005, 08:14:29 PM »
>>Exciting to see SD built the potential into the device - does the fact that the mere potential exists mean that they've committed to delivering this upgrade strategy? <<

SD hasn't said they'd do it though.  Grace kind of mislead the public by stating they just hadn't decided on which interface yet.  i think that's boogie's only point. 

Assuming I'm following the thread correctly, I'm pretty sure that SD has indicated that they intend to add external firewire hard drive support via Firmware upgrade.  From the manual:

Page 8, #23: Medial Ready LEDs:
Indicates storage media is present and available to record; IN (internal hard drive), CF (Compact Flash), EX (external Firewire device) [EX not available in firmware version 1.xx].

Page 8, #24: Media Activity LEDs:
Indicates storage media read/write activity.  IN (internal hard drive), CF (Compact Flash), EX (external Firewire device) [EX not available in firmware version 1.xx.

Page 9, #7: External Media Space Status (space remaining/record ready)
Not available on version 1.xx firmware.  Bar graph indicates amount of record time remaining on the external FireWire volume.  Numbers show time in hours and minutes based on the presently selected number of record tracks, sample frequency, bit rates, and file type.

But maybe you guys were talking about something else.  I can't be expected to read the thread again to figure that out when I've got a new 722 here to play with.  ;)

- Jason
Schoeps MK21,MK4,MK41,MK41V,MK8 > CMC5/Naiant Tinybox/PFAs > Sound Devices 744T, Sony PCM-M10

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #178 on: May 02, 2005, 10:56:53 PM »
I want them to add features that will allow me to track and author DVDAs and write them to an external firewire optical writer, compress and then write flacs and an MD5 file to optical storage, and finally perform downsampling with proper sector boundary adjustments and burn CDRs so I can have them ready for kickdowns at the next show.  That's all I want.  Then it will truely be the perfect all in one box.  The box is capable of supporting those features, they just need to get on it.

Actually it would be nice if the box could write verified copies to an external drive. 
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline JasonR

• Taperssection Member
  • Schoepsoholic
« Reply #179 on: May 02, 2005, 11:49:07 PM »
That's all you want, eh?  I'd be thrilled with a fraction of that, but that's about the perfect wishlist for the sort of taping we do.  As a nice start, it would be nice if the unit could generate MD5sums and save them out to a text file.  At least then the process of copying to desktop could be verified without the additional step of running a checksum on the firewire-connected device.  And it would make developing a neat little applet that copies and compares to the existing checksum a snap.

- Jason

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.107 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com