Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 48 khz vs. 44.1  (Read 7124 times)

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • large Marge sent me
Re: 48 khz vs. 44.1
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2005, 05:39:26 PM »
while DVD-V can only handle 48kHz or 96KHz, DVD-Audio discs can be burned at 44.1kHz.

Yeah, but I'm too cheap to buy Discwelder.  I bought audio-DVD-creator instead and prompty spent $60 on beer.  ;D
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline Swampy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • You Worthless Swampy Fool

Offline Josephine

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2005, 06:26:30 PM »
Thanks for the links, Alex. +t

Having read through them, my next question is this:  Besides fitting more music on to less media, what is the benefit to my storing masters on DVD?
Schoeps MK4 / MK4v / MK41 > actives > NBox+ > R-09HR

~   On Dime   ~
~   My Recordings   ~
~   Live Music Archive   ~

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2005, 06:33:06 PM »
I only use 48k on the v3 for 'larger' acts like phish :P
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline super-phat-al

• Vulture Shit, heard of it?
  • I am a real American
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2005, 06:46:25 PM »
i record at 44.1 just because its easier with out having to resample

Offline Swampy

• You Worthless Swampy Fool
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2005, 10:14:34 PM »

Having read through them, my next question is this: Besides fitting more music on to less media, what is the benefit to my storing masters on DVD?

Well, some people do DVD-A playback which means a whole show possibly on 1 dvd instead of 3 cds...

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2005, 10:26:16 PM »

Having read through them, my next question is this: Besides fitting more music on to less media, what is the benefit to my storing masters on DVD?

A benefit is that DVD can store explicit source information in the file system and also you can have menus with the song list.  (I know that you can use CDtext but I don't know anyone who uses that regularly).  If you take photos at shows or have images you like, you can author a disk with an image slideshow to go along with the music.

Another thing (which may not be useful to many people),  is that every CD transport model has different offsets, so there is really no way to reliably rip a CD and validate against a known fingerprint across platforms.   A DVD uses a data file format, so if you want to test the finger print of a DVD, you can sum the files in the DVD file structure to ensure integrity against a known fingerprint.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline JackoRoses

• lost cause
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2005, 05:01:20 AM »

A benefit is that DVD can store explicit source information in the file system and also you can have menus with the song list.  (I know that you can use CDtext but I don't know anyone who uses that regularly).  If you take photos at shows or have images you like, you can author a disk with an image slideshow to go along with the music.

Another thing (which may not be useful to many people),  is that every CD transport model has different offsets, so there is really no way to reliably rip a CD and validate against a known fingerprint across platforms.   A DVD uses a data file format, so if you want to test the finger print of a DVD, you can sum the files in the DVD file structure to ensure integrity against a known fingerprint.
which is what the EAC offset databse was for, I thought?
There is a way to determine the offset and I thought it was quite reliable.
Most cd/DVD roms out there that are good have their offset in the EAC databas already.
I am one that uses the cd text feature when burning cds. In the comments I put down the source.
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/jackoroses
AKG ck61's/ck62's/ck63's/480b's > zaolla's/Dogstar silver cables > optimod V3  > zaolla spdif> HD-P2
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. "
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Big Brother is here and he is watching you.

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2005, 09:46:06 AM »
i record at 44.1 just because its easier with out having to resample

not to mention you don't crunch your sound by dividing by those nasty fractions.  that's why i will always record in either 44.1 or 88.2kHz when i know the end result will end up being a 16bit CD.  Of course,  these days, the resampling processes in various programs are much better than they were say 5 years ago. 

Offline discopanic1

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2005, 07:28:32 PM »
If you are gonna use Riverpast Audio Converter, then just record at 44.1 since there is a great loss in quality dealing with that software.  I use CEP 2.0 when converting to 48k.  I have SoundForge but haven't actually sit down to figure it out yet. 

BobW

« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2005, 08:40:28 PM »
If you are gonna use Riverpast Audio Converter, then just record at 44.1 since there is a great loss in quality dealing with that software.  I use CEP 2.0 when converting to 48k.  I have SoundForge but haven't actually sit down to figure it out yet. 

CEP/ AA  is easier, the wizard does it all.
SF has pop-ups that will guide you as to which steps in what order.

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2005, 03:37:53 PM »
I always recorded at 48K because I argued that there was more frequency resolution. However, the difference between 44.1K and 48K is arguably not audible and 44.1 goes straight to CD without the additional step of having to down sample. So for most people going from DAT/JB3 to CCDA, I think 44.1 would be the most convenient rate to use.

On the other hand, I'm getting ready to go back and read all my old DAT masters for authoring to DVD and the DVDV format will only support 48K and 96K LPCM rates. So I'm better off having 48K masters because I'd have to upsample 44.1k recordings to meet the format restrictions. I guess it comes down to how much inconvenience you want today in exchange for flexibility later.

well said. i agree with you.

personally, i always record at 48k since i do listen to dats more often at home.

marc

ditto
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline NewHomebrew

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2005, 09:14:28 PM »
Your master is archival.  The more samples, the better.  Who knows what the future brings for technology?  I vote 48.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com