Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Newbie Sound Forge 6.0 Editing Help Needed-Reduce Base Increase Volume  (Read 2505 times)

Offline bqueen1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
I recorded a couple of shows recently using CSB> Battery Box> NJB3. I recorded them in Wav 44.1 and added gain of +12. This is my first stab at editing and cutting a Wav file into tracks. How do I fix or improve the sound quality of these shows. I have a Black Crowes show that clips as a result of extremely heavy base and a Velvet Revolver show that doesn't clip but the volume is low/soft and the base needs to be reduced some.

Can someone explain or direct me to a step by step guide on how to do this and understand the process involved. What does Normalizing do and what needs to be done? Also could someone explain when I should adjust the volume and Eq levels. Are there recommended settings that should be used. I need help understanding the the dB, Hz and Gain values as they relate to the sound.. When using the graphic EQ there are Hz values at the bottom ranging from 28, 56, 113, 225 and so on. What part of the sound do these numbers affect?

Sorry if my questions are unclear or confusing. I'm just trying to find my way and figure this process out. I have some concerts coming up that I want to record, but I'd like to have a better idea of what I'm doing.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. It there's anything I left out that you think might be helpful, please let me know

Thanks,
Brian

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Have you tried the Help file?  I don't know about Sound Forge, but Cool Edit Pro / Adobe Audition has excellent documentation.

How do I fix or improve the sound quality of these shows.

Depends on the perceived "problems" with the recordings, of course.  On to the two specific shows you mention...

I have a Black Crowes show that clips as a result of extremely heavy base

Are you sure it's clipping?  [1] Clipping = levels hitting 0dbFS, [2] brickwalling = overloading the analog inputs on the JB3, [3] overloading of the mics if they can't handle the SPLs (volume) at the performance.  If you're uncertain which problem the BC show has, post a sample?

and a Velvet Revolver show that doesn't clip but the volume is low/soft and the base needs to be reduced some.

Not sure of the specific functions in Sound Forge, but you want to normalize, or add gain (amplify) so the loudest peaks are just below 0dBFS.

Can someone explain or direct me to a step by step guide on how to do this and understand the process involved.

Normalizing or adding gain in SF should be easy - check the help file.

What does Normalizing do and what needs to be done?

Normalizing simply amplifies (usually).  You want your peaks approaching, but not hitting, 0 dB.  Most audio editors provide an option for calculating the gain required to approach 0dB.  Search the Help file for "normalize", "amplify", "gain".

Also could someone explain when I should adjust the volume and Eq levels.

When recording, adjust your levels so peaks approach 0dB.  If, after the recording's complete, the levels are too low (say < -2dB), adjust the levels (normalize, or amplify) accordingly with SF.  EQ depends entirely on the recording, and your playback system, your preference for sound.

I need help understanding the the dB, Hz and Gain values as they relate to the sound.. When using the graphic EQ there are Hz values at the bottom ranging from 28, 56, 113, 225 and so on. What part of the sound do these numbers affect?

From the CEP Help file:

Decibel (dB)
In audio, a decibel (dB) is a logarithmic unit of measurement used for amplitude (specifically, to compare sound pressure with a reference pressure). Generally, 0db is the maximum possible amplitude value (as in 256 for 8-bit audio).

Used to measure gain, or amplitude.  When people refer to "setting levels", these are the units about which they're talking.  You want your peak levels to approach 0dB, a challenge on the JB3 since it's level meters leave a lot to be desired.  But if you get close, great.  If you don't get close, then normalize or amplify in SF as noted previously.

Hertz (Hz)
This is a unit of measurement used to measure the frequency of a sound. Hertz are equal to cycles per second.

These values relate to where the sound falls in the frequency spectrum.  The lower the value, the lower the frequency;  higher the value, higher the frequency.  Check the Archive forum's frequency chart thread for an idea of where certain sounds fall in the frequency spectrum.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline rerem

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
If you have the Soundforge NR plug-in,which you may not,it has a clipped peak restoration tool that is great IF clipping is mild. If extreme....yer screwed.

Normalize will raise all tracks to a level just below clip,but you want to keep proportion,to have everythig relative,not the loud-soft tracks all the same.....so you go to EQ,graphic,20 band,under the "process menu"  Typically the problem bass is in an arena type venue when the bass reverbs off the walls and gets a bit blurred. Usually this is between 80-400 hz. Male vocals will mainly be in the 500-1500 hz area. Give a smooth curve down in the bass area,a slight boost around 1 khz. You'd want the low pont of the bass eq around 150hz. On the right is a volume you can do,try about 3db for a start. You can select a small segment of a song,try a setting,use "undo" find the best. Then do each track the SAME and the whole show matches. CD Wave is a special editor for doing splits without sector boundry errors which sound like small clicks between tracks, It's free. etree has a link.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.043 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com