Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: So the word is that Wavelab is not actually doing 24 bit?  (Read 7386 times)

Offline RRobar

• Mac Design Geek
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "It's allgood ....brah!"
    • Headway Graphixx
So the word is that Wavelab is not actually doing 24 bit?
« on: July 29, 2003, 09:31:47 AM »
At Alpine I had a conversation with Hippies and he told me he and JeffK had found out that wavelab was not recording the 24bit file properly through the USB. I'm not sure about the details, but if either of those guys could chime in about their findings I'm sure we would all appreciate it. I'm holding off on 24/48 until this gets figured out.
Need Graphic Design Work? Goto http://www.headwaygraphixx.com

rabhan

Re:So the word is that Wavelab is not actually doing 24 bit?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2003, 11:30:53 AM »
does it do it properly thru pcmcia spdif?

Offline RRobar

• Mac Design Geek
    • Headway Graphixx
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2003, 11:37:00 AM »
Thats what I want to find out. Hippies brought it up to me and I have yet to see or hear any other talk about it on any forum. I posted this to hopefully get some dialog from them regarding the issue. I think the pcmia should be fine. I was convinced that the 24/48 I ran at Meadowbrook wsp was much better sounding. But my phish 24/48 set sounds to my ears identical to the 16bit DAT backup. The file size is larger. I guess they found this while flacing a 24/48 file and it was the same size as the 16 bit version. I'm confused and would like to know more. SO I can look for a new software to run 24 bit on.

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2003, 11:52:46 AM »
that sounds weird.  so you think that wavelab is actually dithering the file or is it just telling the mme (other device) to dither?  assuming their device is a mme, have they tried running a second laptop from the spdif with the mme dial set at 24 bit?

-damon

DaryanLenz

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2003, 11:53:08 AM »
I believe the trouble they were having was running usb out of the mini-me into the laptop.  I think they were getting occasional drops and that might have been what they were talking about.  It appears that using as lappy with usb 2.0 is much more stable and will fix the issue.  I will run some tests here in the next couple of weeks once I decide which laptop to run and let you all know.

Daryan

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2003, 12:08:33 PM »
but if the 24/48 file is the same size as the 16/48 file and they sound the same, the 24 bit conversion done by the mme was dithered at some point, most likely by the mme, as wavelab told it to send a 16/48 signal.

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2003, 12:13:10 PM »
hmm, that is disconcerting.  i have recently switched to wavelab from sound forge 5.0 because i like the auto-split function....but my 24/48 files are still consistent with the size i would see from sf5.0, and are larger than the 16/44.1 files after resampling and dither.  i am using a usbpre.  i would think i am safe from this, but i will be very interested to see what you all find out, if it is the software causing this or a setting on the hardware...
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline RRobar

• Mac Design Geek
    • Headway Graphixx
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2003, 01:02:37 PM »
I have 4 usb 2.0 ports on my laptop and the mme works great with it. I have only run 24/48 through the usb and a DAT backup. I'm not sure what they have done. Once hippies chimes in it will all make more sense (I hope). I run mg200/210>mme (same as D).

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2003, 02:13:15 PM »
what kind of laptop do you have that has 4 usb 2.0 ports?
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline mirth

• Les Hommes Savvent Pourquois
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2003, 02:27:56 PM »
so, is this only with the mme? When I playback my files in WaveLab it tends to show 23-24 bits being used in the file....
Governor Jim McGreevey was equally disturbed about the upcoming population increase. "New Jersey cannot support all of these wookies," he said. "For starters, we don't have nearly enough kindbud. At best, we can muster up a Q.P. of some beasties, but we've not a dime-bag more."

Offline RRobar

• Mac Design Geek
    • Headway Graphixx
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2003, 02:50:29 PM »
what kind of laptop do you have that has 4 usb 2.0 ports?

It is a desknote from tiawan. It also has a firewire as well.  Great machine but it's a monster. There is no PCMIA slots on it though.

rabhan

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2003, 06:08:23 PM »
my 24bit files are like 210% of what my 16bit files are after they have been flac'd.

Offline the yokel

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2003, 04:02:25 PM »
Did some sloothin' & came up with this thread by jeff from yesterday @ sonic sense.  Seems that he was just setting the recording device to ASIO & the actual file to 24/48 but not changing the actual ASIO settings from 16/48 to 24/48.  Causing the MME to send a dithered.  So as long as the bit meter says your files are 24bit you should be all good recording via wavelab.  Also sounds like he is having the same problem i had now.  Constant clipping on the meters.  Which could probably be fixed via a USB 2.0 PCMCIA card.  

Offline mirth

• Les Hommes Savvent Pourquois
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2003, 04:05:57 PM »
I kinda figured it was a problem with the mme & not wavelab... +T for confirming it!
Governor Jim McGreevey was equally disturbed about the upcoming population increase. "New Jersey cannot support all of these wookies," he said. "For starters, we don't have nearly enough kindbud. At best, we can muster up a Q.P. of some beasties, but we've not a dime-bag more."

Offline the yokel

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2003, 04:09:17 PM »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.091 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com