Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Shockmount & Mounting Question(s)  (Read 6601 times)

Offline BC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Bongo Bongo
Shockmount & Mounting Question(s)
« on: July 31, 2003, 02:12:31 PM »
Hi all-

First off to let you know what I am trying to do, I run DPA 4022 and would like to be able to have more adjustment over mic configuration than the CXO4000 (XY/ORTF mount) offers. Right now I run the CXO4000 with a Schoeps A20S, attached with the little stud/extender bar that comes with the A20S.

I was thinking about the following configuration to give me control over the included angle of the microphones; run the A20S horizontally, and use 2 CSM4000 (DPA product) shockmounts, each attached to a Schoeps extender bar. Each extender bar would be in the horizontally mounted A20S, then I can have control over the mic angling by adjusting the pivot position of the CSM4000's.  

A second idea I had would be to run a T-bar with pivoting clamps for the mics that can slide along the bar, that way I can have independent control over spacing and angle. Unfortunately I am not sure what my options are here for suitable t-bars and microphone clamps, can anyone give some suggestions?

So I was wondering if:

1) Does the first setup seem like it will work??  Any comments? Is there a better way for me to do this that will give me more flexibility? I realize that with the first configuration I will not be able to adjust the spacing of the mics, although it looks to me like the first config will maybe take up less space than using a t-bar, which could be inportant because I like to FOB.

2) Can I purchase the extender piece that comes with the A20S on it's own?

3) If I can't, is there an alternative piece that can be used?  I know DPA makes an extension bar, the EXY4000. Will the EXY4000 fit into the Schoeps A20S shockmount?

Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated, hope everyone is having a good summer and making some killer tapes!

Ben
dpa4022 at yahoo dot com

In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline plucks

• 1pt21Gigawatts!
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Maybe the grass is greener on the other side
    • 1pt21gw.blogspot.com
Re:Shockmount & Mounting Question(s)
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2003, 03:46:11 PM »
Hi all-

First off to let you know what I am trying to do, I run DPA 4022 and would like to be able to have more adjustment over mic configuration than the CXO4000 (XY/ORTF mount) offers. Right now I run the CXO4000 with a Schoeps A20S, attached with the little stud/extender bar that comes with the A20S.

I was thinking about the following configuration to give me control over the included angle of the microphones; run the A20S horizontally, and use 2 CSM4000 (DPA product) shockmounts, each attached to a Schoeps extender bar. Each extender bar would be in the horizontally mounted A20S, then I can have control over the mic angling by adjusting the pivot position of the CSM4000's.  

A second idea I had would be to run a T-bar with pivoting clamps for the mics that can slide along the bar, that way I can have independent control over spacing and angle. Unfortunately I am not sure what my options are here for suitable t-bars and microphone clamps, can anyone give some suggestions?

So I was wondering if:

1) Does the first setup seem like it will work??  Any comments? Is there a better way for me to do this that will give me more flexibility? I realize that with the first configuration I will not be able to adjust the spacing of the mics, although it looks to me like the first config will maybe take up less space than using a t-bar, which could be inportant because I like to FOB.

2) Can I purchase the extender piece that comes with the A20S on it's own?

3) If I can't, is there an alternative piece that can be used?  I know DPA makes an extension bar, the EXY4000. Will the EXY4000 fit into the Schoeps A20S shockmount?

Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated, hope everyone is having a good summer and making some killer tapes!

Ben
dpa4022 at yahoo dot com

Ben-
As for running 4022s you have 2 options.  Run them with the fixed ORTF/XY bar or buy some shockmounts and run them on a normal T-bar and position them as you wish.  They have ups and downs, so really it's up to you.  The fixed bar is nice because it is small and low-profile and quick to set up (good for fob), but the normal t-bar allows for a wider range of options, but takes a little longer to set up sometimes.    

Your first idea is a very good way to run them if you want to be able to adjust the angle.  Any t-bar will work for this AKG, Schoeps.  

The EXY4000 is an extension bar, but has 2 different ends (one in one out) so you would need an adapter to make the 2 ends equal.  The problem with this is that it is a fixed space between the 2 caps, but you would have the option to pivot the mounts.  

I think the first option would give you the most options for allowing different setups.

Good luck!!

Phil
"Then you have those who are completely loyal to Trey. Of course, they are the Republicans. Trey can play horribly, make mistakes, probably lie to the audience yet his backers will not waiver in their staunch support of him." | You may ask your self, how do you get a free bottle of champagne at dinner?  "Guest on Guest Violence"
1pt21gw.blogspot.com | vimeo HD videos! | the new Signal Path

Dirty Business down on Coal Creek

rabhan

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2003, 02:30:17 AM »
yeah, i got the same question. i got the skm140/50 kits but want to try other configurations by running my mics full bodied. what should i use? i already got one a20s that i use as a shockmount for the neumann stereo bar, should i get another one and then a tbar or that shure bar or what? i want to be able to control the angle and the spacing....thanks!

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2003, 01:17:32 PM »
jon, i used to run them full bodied with the at8410a shockmounts and the akg t-bar.  you can definitely do it that way and get spacing to about 23 or 24 cm.  the shure vert bar is not going to give enough horizontal spacing.  the akg bar works great.

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2003, 08:30:21 PM »
Or you could look into the many cool config bars out there. Cascade has a DIN bar for cards and hypers, and I know schoeps and dpa make ORTF bars...easy to set up and each bar gives you what you want.
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2003, 09:27:09 PM »
i may be wrong, but i thought those custom bars sold by cascade only work for schoeps actives, not the neumanns.  he's got an xy/ortf bar that came with the skm140 set.

rabhan

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2003, 12:27:35 PM »
damon, were you able to run 90degrees, 0cm separation with the akg tbar?

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2003, 04:50:44 PM »
damon, were you able to run 90degrees, 0cm separation with the akg tbar?

0cm?  do you mean xy?

rabhan

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2003, 06:24:59 PM »
yes, XY, but also, i would want to be able to run between 70 - 110 degrees with 0cm separation

Offline Kwonfidelity

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Press Record!!!
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2003, 11:32:56 AM »
The custom bars sold by Cascade will be available for both Neumann's and DPAs within the next two weeks.  (For real, this time!)  The Nuemann design is almost complete with prototypes coming soon, we've been working on this one for a while but lots of overseas travelling has put it onthe backburner.  The DPAs are easier as a smaller barrel size will fit the active cables.  Look for them soon!

Happy Taping
Southern Recording, Inc.
High Fidelity Audio Capture

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.085 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com