Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: need some advice from you top dog photographers  (Read 1835 times)

Offline Just Taper Mark from NC

• when the bass kicks..all I need is a mic and a stage and mix.
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Dodgertown 90090
need some advice from you top dog photographers
« on: October 14, 2005, 09:23:17 PM »
it appears I will be the (un)official photographer for the sevwa and it's website so I'm looking to
get a "nice" digital camera,maybe an SLR. I would like something I can stuff in my rig bag for concerts
too so nothing to big is in order.

I will mainly be taking pics of the parked show cars but will have to get some of cars coming down
the dragstrip also so motion is a factor to reckon with. right now i've got the nikon coolpix 4200
which has treated me well for how i've used it and abused it but if they are setting this on my
shoulders i'd like something a little more professional,at this moment I don't plan on getting a super
fat printer to do personal prints at home,i'll just stick with wolff or someone.

so,my main purpose is car shows/races,concerts,nature and vacation pics.below is a sample of what I'm doing
to give you an idea.
Positive vibration man.That's what makes it work.That's reggae music.You can't look away because it is real.You listen to what I sing because I mean what I sing,there's no secret,no big deal.,Just honesty,that's all."-Hon. Robert Nesta Marley 1977

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
Re: need some advice from you top dog photographers
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2005, 12:05:05 AM »
How close will you be at the drag strip? I would recommend a Digital Rebel XT with the EF-S 17-85mm 4-5.6 IS lens for all around shooting. This lens should be a solid outdoor/walk-around lens and the IS in panning mode will help you on the drag strip. However, it might be a little short for drag strip shooting unless you're right near the track. For cars at the show, it'll be wide enough to get a full car in the frame if you'd like, but expect some barrel distortion on those shots.

Edited for coherence.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2005, 01:11:51 AM by MattD »
Out of the game … for now?

Offline jpschust

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Padres Rule Your Face
Re: need some advice from you top dog photographers
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2005, 12:23:35 AM »
matt's right as far as the budget goes, though I would also add that picking up a 50 f/1.8 for concerts is worth your cash- a sub 100 dollar lens that works in the lowest of light.  that would be good for you for concerts, and general low light work.

also, getting a good printer doesnt have to cost more than a couple of hundred dollars.  the expensive stuff is ink.
Quote from: Todd Snider
They say 3 percent of the people use 5 to 6 percent of their brain
97 percent use 3 percent and the rest goes down the drain
I'll never know which one I am but I'll bet you my last dime
99 percent think with 3 percent 100 percent of the time

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.043 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com