Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: c1000 question  (Read 6717 times)

Offline ropscot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
c1000 question
« on: August 15, 2003, 03:19:43 PM »
Im very new to taping and use a sony md to record and i am lookign for a better mic the one I have doesnt do very well in loud situation it sounds very raspy. SO I was wondering is a AKG c1000 a good choice
thanks
Ron

Offline Nick in Edinboro

• Wishes he was fishing right now...
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Toshiba SD3690 > HK AR-20 > B&K ST-140 > Axiom M22
    • moepics.com - share your shots of moe.
Re:c1000 question
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2003, 04:06:55 PM »
Hi Ron, what mic do you currently use?  Are you planning on just using one microphone and in what fashion?

Give us some feedback on the music you listen to, your budget, etc. and there will surely be a dozen suggestoins here for ya :D
Oktava MC012's (dorseymod) > UA-5 (digmod) > JB3
http://braintuba.no-ip.com

Offline ropscot

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2003, 04:36:29 PM »
yea I just plan on using one mic at least I think that is all I can use with my minidisc recorder, and I would like to spend about 200 dollars. the music I record is athenaeum if you have ever heard of them, there rock. currently the mic I use is some 12dollar ebay mic that did one show really well I think go to www.athenaeumfans.com and you can listen to it. and thanks again for all your help I feel lost in this stuff
thanks
Ron

Offline olyrc

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I dig music.
    • My tapes on archive.org
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2003, 05:21:54 PM »
yea I just plan on using one mic at least I think that is all I can use with my minidisc recorder, and I would like to spend about 200 dollars. the music I record is athenaeum if you have ever heard of them, there rock. currently the mic I use is some 12dollar ebay mic that did one show really well I think go to www.athenaeumfans.com and you can listen to it. and thanks again for all your help I feel lost in this stuff
thanks
Ron

If you're looking at a $200 budget, head over to Sound Professionals and check out their stereo cardiods.  The Audio Technica AT831s and AT 853s are both good options on the inexpensive side.  Remember you'll need a battery box if you want to run line-in instead of mic-in.

The AT831s:
http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/category.cgi?category=120&item=SP-CMC-2&type=store

The AT853s:
http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/category.cgi?category=120&item=SP-CMC-4&type=store
Sonic Studios DSM-6S/L > PA-24 > TASCAM DR-07

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2003, 05:23:35 PM »
I've never used a mini disc so I may be way off here. But I think you can run 2 mics into your MD with a dual XLR>mini cable made by hosa.

You would want to run 2 c1000s. To only run 1 mic you would want a stereo mic.

For 200 bucks you could pick up a used set of c1000s. that's what I sold mine for & have seen them go for around 175 lately.

For the price c1000s will fit your needs well. They run on 9v's & are a great starter mic. But you will need 2 of them.

Hope that helps some.
TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

Offline ropscot

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2003, 05:25:22 PM »
but wouldnt the AKG c1000 be a better mic than these small audio technica I dont need a stealth mic
thanks
Ron

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2003, 05:30:02 PM »
I've also ran both of the mics olyrc mentioned. Both good choices. & you can pick those up used well beneath your budget.
TDS!

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2003, 05:32:31 PM »
Just because they are small dosen't mean you have to run them stealth. they make t-bars for them.

But the c1000s would be my 1st choice. then the 853's

You may need to pick up some transformers for gain with the c1000s but thats only about 40 bucks.
TDS!

Offline olyrc

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I dig music.
    • My tapes on archive.org
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2003, 06:05:26 PM »
I've also ran both of the mics olyrc mentioned. Both good choices. & you can pick those up used well beneath your budget.

Another plus of using the AT mics is you'll get a stereo recording (and the cabling is not a problem because they terminate in a 1/8" stereo mini plug).
Sonic Studios DSM-6S/L > PA-24 > TASCAM DR-07

Offline ropscot

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2003, 06:08:22 PM »
thanks for the help I think im going to get the c1000 pair and the hosa 2 xlr to mini plug
thanks
Ron

Offline sexymexi

• Taperssection All-Star
    • show list
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2003, 06:42:43 PM »
if you really wanna get into taping, i'd say spend the money if you have it now... i mean i just started just over a year ago, and well.. i'm too broke to upgrade... but i'm workin on it..  i started just using an AT instrument mics, and then moved to condensors with my MD,  corrently using the wonderful AKG 391.  not the greatest, but i like it. sounds good, and my friends that trade think my shows sound pretty damn good, so yea but c1000 are cheaper, and yea they do sound good for the money. good luck and keep with it..

peace
AKG 391's > phantom boxes > JB3 or Casio DA-7
Panasonic WM1610 omni's > whatever

Playback: Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum > Onkyo TSDX595 > matched Oynix Rockets > Mirage FRX-S8 sub

Offline smanky

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Bruce Campbell is cool
    • The Ari Hest Show Archive
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2003, 06:58:55 PM »
I know who Athenaeum is, my friend is like super fan or something, he's gonna be glad to know there's a taper out there wanting to tape them, and he keeps hoping I'll drive him up to nc or atl one of these days to catch a show, lol.  But I've heard mike's pretty picky about what he let's out and what he doesn't.  anyways, if it were me I'd go w/ the at853's or any other mini stereo cardioid over the c1000.  First, if you're gonna go AKG, save your money and get something good.  I haven't heard a C1000 recording in a while but I don't remember ever hearing a stellar one, not enough to give up my 853's anyway (I upgraded to oktava about a month ago, still keep the at's around).  Plus the C1000s are pretty large, I didn't realize this till I saw them up close, and to run two (which you'll want to do, especially when running cards, you might be able to get away w/ a mono recording in a mic w/ an omni cap) you'll have to buy a more sturdy t-bar and shocks, plus the xlr-> 1/8" mini isn't cheap.  The only plus with the c1000s is they look to perform a little better on the high end and have a higher spl.  FWIW, I've rarely had bad recordings with my at's.  Just run them through a batt box and into the md and you're good to go.

Offline ropscot

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2003, 07:05:33 PM »
acctually mikeg doesnt care if we record the shows we can record any shwo I just cant soundboard if you want a live show go to my site athenaeumfans.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com