Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: .ape 24/48 files not decoding (OSX) with xACT v1.56 any help?  (Read 4286 times)

Offline cleantone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Hey!

I have never messed with .ape formats. I just got some Slip that were archived as .ape. The text file makes it look as if it is 24bit 48khz. On my mac I tried xACT 1.56 to decode and got:

Error decoding: Slip02-10-18iipt2.ape:
Error: 1002: invalid input file

any alternative programs to try? Any ideas?
ISO: your recordings of The Slip, Surprise Me Mr. Davis and The Barr Brothers. pm me please.

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • LMA
Re: .ape 24/48 files not decoding (OSX) with xACT v1.56 any help?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2006, 02:03:44 PM »
www.monkeysaudio.com - not sure if it works on a mac.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Apogee Mini-MP / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Tascam DR-70D

Offline cleantone

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2006, 02:11:38 PM »
Doesn't seem to. I was under the impression xACT used the codec from that software. Maybe these files are bad for some reason.
ISO: your recordings of The Slip, Surprise Me Mr. Davis and The Barr Brothers. pm me please.

Offline Cooker

• Local Crew
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2006, 02:28:00 PM »
it has been my experience, that, in any given fileset, at least one .ape file is bad.    i seriously had to trash a few shows because tracks would not decode.  sucks because, back before there was a flac, we APEd all our 24/48 shows.    could very well be that the source files were bad, or it could be that your copies are just bad...

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2006, 02:53:42 PM »
maybe the file was encoded with the beta v4 of monkey's audio?

i hate .ape.  like cooker, i always got files that wouldn't decode.  i'd encode a full show and later find that 2 or 3 wouldn't decode.  fun

Offline cleantone

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2006, 03:06:31 PM »
Okay. These files were seemingly made in October of 2002. There were 2 folders, one for one show and one for the next night. On a PC I just got the first show to decode to WAV adn then re-encode to FLAC. They are a little bigger than the .ape files. This was with Monkey Audio for XP. On the Mac with xACT 1.56 It gave me that error. I have never used .ape so for the hell of it I decoded a small FLAC to aiff, tried to encode it to .ape and it gave me a shntool error code. Maybe the new xACT has an .ape bug somehow? What do you think Scott?

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2006, 03:10:07 PM »
if it was 02, then it's definitely not a new version

i think xACT might only encode wav to ape...i forget if i have aiff > ape in there

what version of os x are you on?

i can play around with ape file tonight to see if things are working..but i haven't touched the ape support in a long time

Offline cleantone

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2006, 03:21:17 PM »
The WAV only thing dawned on me right after posting. I'm on OSX.3.9.

edit:

just tried flac>wav>ape and got:

Track01.wav: sh: line 1: shninfo: command not found
« Last Edit: March 29, 2006, 03:31:25 PM by cleantone »

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2006, 02:01:54 AM »
i wonder if dbpoweramp would work.

i dunno if it works on mac tho, but i know in the past i've went ape > flac with it in one simple step.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline scb

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2006, 10:13:47 AM »
The WAV only thing dawned on me right after posting. I'm on OSX.3.9.

edit:

just tried flac>wav>ape and got:

Track01.wav: sh: line 1: shninfo: command not found

that's a dumb error on my part for encoding.  i forgot i removed the shninfo shortcut from the app.  but it doesn't affect decoding at all

as for why those files don't decode, i'm still not sure.  do they verify?

Offline cleantone

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2006, 11:46:27 AM »
do they verify?

There was no MD5 included. I don't know if .ape has some internal verification. I had never dealt with them before. I can say that I finally put Monkey Audio on the PC and decoded them 100%. So I assume they were fine. The only thing I didn't try was downloading an older version of xACT to try. I found posts online stating that xACT worked but they were older versions. Nothing jumped out at you huh? Thanks yet again for a wonderful audio tool.

Offline scb

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2006, 11:59:48 AM »
monkey's audio files verify internally.  no md5 needed

if the files are from 2002, theywere encoded with monkey's audio 3.97, which should definitely work with xACT.  but if it was with a newer version, i can't guarantee xACT would work

since a lot of people seemed to have problems decoding ape files a few years back (i lost a few 24/48 files from a trey show in june 02), i wonder if it was just a bug in monkey's audio that's since been fixed, and that's why the newer windows versions can decode these older files with no problems

Offline Cooker

• Local Crew
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2006, 06:21:21 PM »
since a lot of people seemed to have problems decoding ape files a few years back (i lost a few 24/48 files from a trey show in june 02), i wonder if it was just a bug in monkey's audio that's since been fixed, and that's why the newer windows versions can decode these older files with no problems

doh! now i wish i would have saved those "bad" filesets.  One was 2002 panic one was 2001 biscuits, both 24/48, both only 24 bit sources from that show (that tour?)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.1 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com