Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: .cue sheet question  (Read 6004 times)

kskreider

• Trade Count: (0)
.cue sheet question
« on: August 13, 2006, 08:21:14 PM »
So when I archive my live recordings I usually burn a DVD that contains a text file, the original .wav, and an edited .wav with a cue sheet for track splits.  I like to keep the .wav file whole with a .cue sheet in case I choose to move track markers later on.

My question is pertaining to the .cue sheets.  I always point the .cue sheet to where the .wav file initially resides, but that may not necessarily be the correct path in the future.  Is there a way to put a generic directory path in the .cue sheet so that it would just point right at the copy on the DVD?  Keep in mind that drive names change too.  Should I just point it at D:\ thinking that would be the most likely drive letter?

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
Re: .cue sheet question
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2006, 09:37:30 PM »
So when I archive my live recordings I usually burn a DVD that contains a text file, the original .wav, and an edited .wav with a cue sheet for track splits.  I like to keep the .wav file whole with a .cue sheet in case I choose to move track markers later on.

My question is pertaining to the .cue sheets.  I always point the .cue sheet to where the .wav file initially resides, but that may not necessarily be the correct path in the future.  Is there a way to put a generic directory path in the .cue sheet so that it would just point right at the copy on the DVD?  Keep in mind that drive names change too.  Should I just point it at D:\ thinking that would be the most likely drive letter?

hm,mm ??? i save my cue sheets w/ cdwave and move around all the time on my d drive, then i burn to dvd-r as a data dvd, i have my original raw 722 file, the edited one w/ gain added that i track out and a cue sheet for those wavs, and also an md5 for the folder

im not sure i understand your question?
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2006, 09:46:29 PM »
While talking about CUE sheets, does anyone know if they can have *gaps*?

I like to keep the original WAV files too.  But the only way to do this is to add a dummy label "gap" or something, and then remove these (by hand) each time I write the CD.

Recently I've been using Wavelab, and making a "montage" file.  This allows gaps.  So now I keep: The original WAV file, a CUE sheet with "dead air" marked as "gap", a MON montage file for writing from Wavelab.

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline dunebug81

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2006, 09:48:56 PM »
I use cue sheets to burn shows as well with CDRWIN.  Its setup like this

Performer "Band"
title "yyyy-mm-dd city, state"
file "yyy-mm-dd band.wav" wave <--no path name is needed if it is in the same directory.  I dont know if thats how your burning program works.  If no path is specified then it looks in the same folder that the cue sheet is in.

Hope that helps.
Greg
www.enemyzero.com/greg/
aim: dunebug81

Offline dunebug81

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2006, 09:50:39 PM »

I like to keep the original WAV files too.  But the only way to do this is to add a dummy label "gap" or something, and then remove these (by hand) each time I write the CD.

Recently I've been using Wavelab, and making a "montage" file.  This allows gaps.  So now I keep: The original WAV file, a CUE sheet with "dead air" marked as "gap", a MON montage file for writing from Wavelab.

Richard

Im not sure what you're talking about.  Could you post a samle cue sheet for me?
Greg
www.enemyzero.com/greg/

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2006, 09:52:16 PM »

Richard

Im not sure what you're talking about.  Could you post a samle cue sheet for me?

me neither, im lost

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2006, 10:04:14 PM »

Richard

I don't have a specific CUE sheet now.  But let me try to explain better.

Suppose I've got a WAV file with an hour set or whatever.  Now suppose there is "dead air" (tuning, audience banter, etc) before or after one of the tracks.  Is there a way to make a CUE file that has this part removed?

I could remove it from the WAV file, but I want to keep the original (in case I want to re edit it).

Right now I just track the entire WAV file, and give the unwanted portion(s) special track names (like "gap", "removeme" or similar).  Then I load the CUE sheet into Wavelab as a "montage", remove the unwanted tracks and save as .mon file.

I am wondering if there is a way to inactivate the unwanted parts/tracks in the original CUE file and avoid the Wavelab/montage step.

Thanks,
  Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline dunebug81

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2006, 10:04:50 PM »
Oh, ok I see what youre saying. There isnt a way that I know of to do that other then cutting it out of the wav itself.  I guess you would have to have 2 wavs; one is the untouched file and the other is the edited down version.

You can always give each section that you dont want to listen to its own track number so you could skip thru it rather quickly.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2006, 10:09:19 PM by dunebug81 »
Greg
www.enemyzero.com/greg/

Offline dunebug81

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2006, 11:13:34 PM »
Nice! 

If you do

performer "artist"
title "title of the CD"
file "filename" wave

track 01 audio
title "song title"
index 01 xx:xx:xx

track 02 audio...

etc etc you can have discs burned with CD text.  I find it quite useful for riping shows to the computer with dbpoweramp cause it will read the cd text and tag the files accordingly.  Plus the CD player in my car will read the CD text and tell me what song is playing
Greg
www.enemyzero.com/greg/

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2006, 11:37:00 PM »
Oh, ok I see what youre saying. There isnt a way that I know of to do that other then cutting it out of the wav itself.  I guess you would have to have 2 wavs; one is the untouched file and the other is the edited down version.

You can always give each section that you dont want to listen to its own track number so you could skip thru it rather quickly.

i just have one unedited raw wav from the 722 and an edited wav w/ gain added still @2448/96/44.1k that JUST has gain added since i play it safe since going 24-bit w/ the levels

the i have a tracked/flac'd copy in a flac24 folder and a tracked/flac'd 16-bit files in a flac16 folder, all w/ md5's

Offline dunebug81

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2006, 11:39:59 PM »

i just have one unedited raw wav from the 722 and an edited wav w/ gain added still @2448/96/44.1k that JUST has gain added since i play it safe since going 24-bit w/ the levels

the i have a tracked/flac'd copy in a flac24 folder and a tracked/flac'd 16-bit files in a flac16 folder, all w/ md5's

You're hardcore, I burn a disc and then get it off my HDs.  If I ever needed to do a reburn chances are that I still have the MD that I recorded it on laying around somewhere...unless ive erased it cause i needed a disc for another show.
Greg
www.enemyzero.com/greg/

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2006, 12:01:22 AM »

You're hardcore, I burn a disc and then get it off my HDs.  If I ever needed to do a reburn chances are that I still have the MD that I recorded it on laying around somewhere...unless ive erased it cause i needed a disc for another show.

dvd-r's are so cheap, why not? i made 300 blank verbatim's last me 8 months so....

and about burning soo many dvd-r's, i put all of the flac24 together and then burn once i have enuf to burn a dvd-r, same goes w/ filling another dvd-r of flac16 folders, i only used 20 dvdr's on all of allgood, if that, maybe only like 17 or so

Offline dunebug81

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2006, 12:13:37 AM »
dvd-r's are so cheap, why not?

Because I promised myself I would work at decreasing my petroleum-based footprint.

Thats funny. 

Its not the money...hell even the good blank DVDs are cheap these days.  I guess I could burn the folder with all my flacs but ive got about 200 gb and thats alot of burning.  I dont know if I have the time for all that.
Greg
www.enemyzero.com/greg/

Offline SparkE!

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2006, 02:00:54 PM »

I always remove the path portion of the file name in the .cue file.  That way, it refers to the wav file of the specified name in the same directory where the .cue file is located.

So, using your example, I edit this file name reference:

FILE "C:\Documents and Settings\Darkstarjedi\Desktop\FLAC_SHN\AngerRoS2006-08-11\AngerRoS2006-08-11d1t.wav" WAVE

to be this:

FILE "AngerRoS2006-08-11d1t.wav" WAVE

Then all I have to do is make sure that the .wav file and the .cue file are in the same folder, wherever that might be.  I simply don't have to worry about putting it back in exactly the same folder before I can work with it.
How'm I supposed to read your lips when you're talkin' out your ass? - Lern Tilton

Ignorance in audio is exceeded only by our collective willingness to embrace and foster it. -  Srajan Ebaen

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2006, 01:50:32 PM »
it won't effect the cue sheet if the destination path is changed. i track all my shows with CD Wave, usually the 16bit file first. save the cue sheet then open the 24bit. when you try to open the cue sheet it will prompt if you want to open the corresponding file, select no and it will then apply the proper track splits to whatever file you have opened.

but to be sure i guess you coul just do what SparkE does as well
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com