Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam HD-P2 Compatable CF Cards  (Read 28815 times)

Offline JackoRoses

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • lost cause
Re: Tascam HD-P2 Compatable CF Cards
« Reply #60 on: September 17, 2007, 02:38:20 PM »
Here is the response I just got from Doug:

Hi !
They tell me it is the amount of memory the P2 has been designed to address. It takes not only software ( in this case firmware) but also a hardware subsystem with the needed address lines to reach over 8 gig. They say the hardware support is not available. This is like FAT 16s file size limitations, a result of inadequate addressing.
I hope this helps...Doug

This whole situation seriously makes me want to go to a 722. How the fuck could they not have thought of this ::)

at the least a 702 and I'm about to jump boat.
Spent good money on a 16gb sandisk card to not be able to use it past the 8gb mark.
I sure in the hell don't feel like carrying multiple 8gb cards to mix them up in the middle of a show and record over something. Or even try and keep them seperated. Not a big deal but it is after drinking a few it wouldn't be hard.
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/jackoroses
AKG ck61's/ck62's/ck63's/480b's > zaolla's/Dogstar silver cables > optimod V3  > zaolla spdif> HD-P2
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. "
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Big Brother is here and he is watching you.

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #61 on: September 17, 2007, 02:45:39 PM »

Hi !
They tell me it is the amount of memory the P2 has been designed to address. It takes not only software ( in this case firmware) but also a hardware subsystem with the needed address lines to reach over 8 gig. They say the hardware support is not available. This is like FAT 16s file size limitations, a result of inadequate addressing.
I hope this helps...Doug

This whole situation seriously makes me want to go to a 722. How the fuck could they not have thought of this ::)

Spent good money on a 16gb sandisk card to not be able to use it past the 8gb mark.
I sure in the hell don't feel like carrying multiple 8gb cards to mix them up in the middle of a show and record over something. Or even try and keep them seperated. Not a big deal but it is after drinking a few it wouldn't be hard.

hmm, Doug's response does not bode well for us.
How could Tascam not have had the foresight to think of this?  I have no idea, but it is a big oversight.
It does make me think again about a different recorder.  the 722 or the 702.  but on the other hand, when I did a comp between the V3 > 722 and the straight V3, I preferred the V3's A/D over the 722.  so the 702 seems like a very expensive bit-bucket to run behind the V3.  for those of you running modded HD-P2's, I think the SD units make more sense.  and then there's the M-Audio MicroTrack II.  I upgraded from the original MT to the HD-P2, and it's been great.  but if the MTII does what it's advertised to do (S/PDIF input and actual, seamless 2GB splits), then it'll do exactly what I need it to do.  and the original MT can handle 16 GB cards, so it's likely that the MTII will also be able to handle the larger cards.  and then my last thought is, on an 8 GB card, thats 4 hours of 24/96, which is plenty of time for just about all the shows I record.  so maybe I'll have to record the opener band and the main act on different cards, instead of just one 16 GB card.  but I rarely go to festivals, so the 8 GB limit is actually a deal killer for me.  It just sucks because I feel like I've wasted money on this 16 GB SanDisk card...

yeah, it's certainly making me think about

Offline Dutchman1101

• Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #62 on: September 17, 2007, 02:50:38 PM »

Hi !
I hope this helps...Doug

The card thing to me is not the biggest deal. I have 2 8gb cards and really can't see myself having to switch them at a show (you never no though). My thing how could a company like Tascam completely overlook this and then not do anything to fix it. Their customer service sucks and they just expect us to deal with it.

I can see a 722 in my near future if this does not get resolved.

Offline JackoRoses

• lost cause
« Reply #63 on: September 17, 2007, 03:14:43 PM »
for almost every one act show, a 8gb card is plenty of space.
I do; do the festivals though fairly often in the summertime and 8gbs doesn't quite cut it.
Around 2 a month from June thru september
I generally get 2 acts on each 8gb card at about 1.5 hrs long. Than I need to switch because of not having enough space for the next band. Sometimes I can get 3  it depends ...
Sure I could record at a lower rate. I could also pick and choose which band I want to record as well.
There is also the option of spending at least another 100$ for a PSD to dump the cards onto.
I suppose before I bought another card I would go the PSD route...
What about trying to record at 24/192 though. I don't know many who do but say you want to.
Well that really makes things tight than. I would much rather carry 1 16 gb card than 2 8gb cards.
I currently have 2 8gbs and 1 16gb card that I have only used once now since I have found out about the limitation.
Jason I agree if the MTII addresses all the previous issues and is proven stable in the field I will downgrade as well. I like having the all in one due to the redundancy but it's still just a bit bucket.
AKG ck61's/ck62's/ck63's/480b's > zaolla's/Dogstar silver cables > optimod V3  > zaolla spdif> HD-P2
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. "

Offline Charlie Miller

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Come On, Get Happy
« Reply #64 on: September 18, 2007, 07:42:56 PM »

Hi !
I hope this helps...Doug

The card thing to me is not the biggest deal. I have 2 8gb cards and really can't see myself having to switch them at a show (you never no though). My thing how could a company like Tascam completely overlook this and then not do anything to fix it. Their customer service sucks and they just expect us to deal with it.

I can see a 722 in my near future if this does not get resolved.

I learned about tascam's crappy customer service when I bought a DA-20. Biggest piece of crap I have ever owned. I ended up getting my money back and was told to keep the deck (after a year of trying to get them to help me). I eventually called and asked to speak with their legal department. That actually worked.....bottom line is I will NEVER buy another piece of tascam gear.....no mater what it is.
Audio Engineer & Archivist for Steve Kimock Productions

Schoeps CMC6/MK4, AKG 460/CK61, AKG C34
Sound Devices 744T
Dante Multitrack Rig

Offline spzkt

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #65 on: October 14, 2007, 12:24:43 AM »
If there are still any HDP2 owners left out there they might be interested in a much more comprehensive listing of tested CF cards here than provide on tascam.com:

http://www.tascam.jp/list.php?mode=100&fno=0&type=HD-P2&scode=0919HDP205

I don't read japanese but the list seems pretty straightforward. It appears the list is spilt into list for firmware versions 1.0.3 or earlier and firmware vers 1.0.4. The most recent firmware revision on the Japanese site is 1.0.4. The link at the top of each section points to the CF manufacturers website so it's pretty easy to work out the brand despite the kanji.

hope this helps
paul

Offline spzkt

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #66 on: October 25, 2007, 12:34:01 AM »
Just came across this while googling for infos on HDP2's  ;D
Looks like there is a 16Gb CF future after all 8)

Sujet : Tascam HD-P2 and 16GB compact flash cards
De : loco@andrews.lv (andrejs eigus)
Groupes : rec.audio.pro, rec.arts.movies.production.sound
Organisation : Aioe.org NNTP Server
Date : 22. Oct 2007, 19:55:36

just thought this information will be useful to owners of the Tascam HD-P2
recorder:

>Dear Mr. Eigus,

>It is possible to use as well 16GB CF-Cards, but the actual operation
>System gives you access to max. 8 GB of it. So there is actually no
>advantage of using a 16GB Card instead of the 8GB card. But it is planned
>to support the 16GB Cards with the next firmware updates, so there is no
>disadvantage of buying already a 16 GB Card and use actually just 8 GB
>of them.

>Best Regards

>Dirk Born
>Product Manager
>TASCAM Division

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #67 on: October 25, 2007, 06:19:52 AM »
that's great news if it pans out...
for many months, I've been arguing with them that I thought a firmware update could resolve the issue, but they have been firm that from a hardware standpoint, the HD-P2 was only designed to handle 8 GB.  I guess enough people were complained about the issue to get Tascam motivated...

Offline spzkt

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #68 on: October 25, 2007, 06:46:26 AM »
don't know Jason.... the Compact Flash Association specifications have apparently supported 127GB devices from the jump, so I couldn't imagine why tascam/frontier would dumb down the standard CF interface to only support 8GB??

perhaps the difference in response is down to difference between tascam US and tascam EU tech support staff?

Offline JackoRoses

• lost cause
« Reply #69 on: October 25, 2007, 08:48:24 AM »
Just came across this while googling for infos on HDP2's  ;D
Looks like there is a 16Gb CF future after all 8)

Sujet : Tascam HD-P2 and 16GB compact flash cards
De : loco@andrews.lv (andrejs eigus)
Groupes : rec.audio.pro, rec.arts.movies.production.sound
Organisation : Aioe.org NNTP Server
Date : 22. Oct 2007, 19:55:36

just thought this information will be useful to owners of the Tascam HD-P2
recorder:

>Dear Mr. Eigus,

>It is possible to use as well 16GB CF-Cards, but the actual operation
>System gives you access to max. 8 GB of it. So there is actually no
>advantage of using a 16GB Card instead of the 8GB card. But it is planned
>to support the 16GB Cards with the next firmware updates, so there is no
>disadvantage of buying already a 16 GB Card and use actually just 8 GB
>of them.

>Best Regards

>Dirk Born
>Product Manager
>TASCAM Division

I swear to feffn god I am going to do something rash if tascam rolls out a firmware that makes the 16gb cards work after trading my card off to another member here.

Offline spzkt

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #70 on: October 26, 2007, 05:19:11 PM »
jackoroses,

looks like you might have made the right move, and that Tascam EU have given the guy a bum steer.

After jasons comments, I thought it might be worth pinging an email of to frontier design group, who I believe designed the HDP2 for ("with") Tascam.  This response back from Brian George which seems to be the definitive answer on the subject:

Frontier Design Group wrote:

Subject: Re: TASCAM HDP2 tech query
Date: 27 October 2007 1:21:19 AM

Hello Paul,

We are aware that there is currently an 8GB CF card limitation due to factors that existed when the unit was originally designed. We have since been asked to investigate expanding that limitation. At this time we can't be certain if, or when that ability will be available, but if it becomes possible then most likely it would be accomplished with a field installable update.

Regards,

Brian

So the 8Gb limitation doesn't appear to be fixable with a firmware update . If the fix does happen it looks like it may require a board replacement, which could be bad news for those with modified units.

cheers
Paul

« Last Edit: October 26, 2007, 05:24:29 PM by spzkt »

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #71 on: October 26, 2007, 05:25:00 PM »
but if it becomes possible then most likely it would be accomplished with a field installable update.

I'm not familiar with electronics hardware manufacturing, but...is not firmware a "field installable update"?  Or does, in this context, "field installable update" mean a hardware change performed by a service center (which doesn't seem very "field" to me)?  Or owners?  Not very "field installable" if it requires sending back to a Tascam service center for a board change.  And I find it highly unlikely they'll trust / allow customers to perform their own internal hardware upgrades.  Seems like a fairly ambiguous response, to me, as to how the patch might be applied.  Confused as to what all this really means...

I think based on what we know right now - the firmware comment, the "field installable upgrade" comment - we can't say one way or the other when / how this will be fixed.  Just not enough solid info.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2007, 05:37:01 PM by Brian Skalinder »
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Roving Sign

« Reply #72 on: October 26, 2007, 05:36:02 PM »
Could be just plain old stalling...waiting to see just how many folks inquire about this feature/ability? Even if it were possible, they would probably only address it if a significant number of folks requested it...

Offline spzkt

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #73 on: October 26, 2007, 06:40:45 PM »
but if it becomes possible then most likely it would be accomplished with a field installable update.

I'm not familiar with electronics hardware manufacturing, but...is not firmware a "field installable update"?  Or does, in this context, "field installable update" mean a hardware change performed by a service center (which doesn't seem very "field" to me)?  Or owners? 

I'm just jumping to (incorrect?) conclusions that it will be a hardware fix, and there are a lot of if's preceding a fix.

I've emailed brian to see if he can clarify this and I'll post any answers I get back.

I'm not sure if it's stalling. TASCAM have clearly requested that Frontier look at providing a solution.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2007, 06:58:05 PM by spzkt »

Offline spzkt

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #74 on: October 28, 2007, 04:01:33 PM »
Definitely jump to conclusions:

It would have to be a driver or firmware update. It isn't a hardware limitation but we'll know more soon.

Brian

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.102 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com