Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Coax vs RCA.....?  (Read 3612 times)

Offline 1st set only

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • you are what you is
    • Don Poulsen Illustration and Graphic Design
Coax vs RCA.....?
« on: October 20, 2003, 02:30:54 PM »
hey what makes a coax diffrent than a RCA cable? A friend of mine took a plain video cable and went coax out of my ua-5 and had no problems.

also can you take a coax signal from another pre and convert it to optical with the UA-5?

d
the show is over go home please.

DaryanLenz

Re:Coax vs RCA.....?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2003, 02:52:01 PM »
You would need a convertor box to adapt a coax to an optical connection.  I have a grey box you could have for like 12 bucks or so.  Secondly, I don't think there is much difference between coax and rca cables.  I have sucessfully sent, albeit not to myself, a coax out via dual rca's using only one channel.  Likewise, I have done this with my home stereo before connecting coax out->rca->coax in many times.   I think the difference may just be build quality.  Correcvt me if I am wrong!

D

Offline 1st set only

• you are what you is
    • Don Poulsen Illustration and Graphic Design
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2003, 03:11:15 PM »
no it does.....
the show is over go home please.

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2003, 03:24:46 PM »
coaxial cable or coaxial connector?  "rca" and "coax" connectors are the same.  not all cables that have rca or coax connectors are truly coax cables.  coax cables have a conductor (or conductors) down the center axis, an insulator (PE, teflon, etc.), a braided shield/conductor that shares the same axis as the center conductor(s), and another insulator.  

It just so happens video cable is typically 75ohm shielded coax - also ideal for spdif digital.  The cheap Radio Shack video cable makes a great inexpensive digital coax cable.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Tascam DR-70D / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2003, 03:51:51 PM »
Craig,

What do you know technically of the dielectrics used?
i guess i should clarify....
What do they do, other than insulate?

Only that multi-conductor cables act like capacitors, so the dielectric used can have a substantial influence on how an analog cable 'sounds'.  From what I've read, foamed teflon is the best.  Poor quality dielectric can allow the signal to "leak" into the dielectric and then back into the conductor which causes degradation since it is no longer time-aligned.  I'm not sure how this carries over to the digital world, though.

If I had time, i'd search these pages for more info:

http://www.geocities.com/jonrisch/cables.htm
http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/cables/bbs.html
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Tascam DR-70D / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2003, 03:58:24 PM »
Just so you guys know, the UA5 doesn't work as a digital format convertor, you'll need a CO2 or GreyBox for that...
(the UA5 is 4 out of the 5 esentials:  Phantom, Pre, A>D, Portable...  Missing Dig Format Conv.)

So no DigiCoaxIn>UA5>OpticalOut...

This means either you get no patch from a DAT chain (or get moved to back) or you have to convince them to patch out of you (out of the DigiCoaxOut while you use the OptOut).  Both the DigiCoax and Opt run hot on the UA5 at the same time.

The digital switch you see above is to determine which INPUT (DigiCoax or Opt) you want to use if you are using a Digi In.

I think this is where the Non-Bit-Accurate blahblahblah starts to come in...

There are also some bad reviews on the Midiman CO2s performance (as a Digital Format Convertor).  Hosa makes one (the ODL) as well as a bunch of other manufacturers...

However, a gadget like the CO2 will allow you to pass a DigiCoax signal while splitting off an Optical signal for yourself.  Theortically, by using this, you can fit anywhere along a DAT chain.

Good luck,

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.046 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com