Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Omnis on a single stand  (Read 10641 times)

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
Re:Omnis on a single stand
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2003, 08:28:27 AM »
Here is how I mount my DPA 4071s.
I bought two 3' telecoping antenna at RS, and taped them together end to end.  I then soldered alligator clips on each end.  I mount  that inside of a single SABRA shock mount.
With this, I can achive A-B spacing on a perfect horizontal plane anwhere up to 5' (pictured).

I run this way when I can be DFC.  I will run HRTF on my head when I cant (as I can always walk to the sweet spot and camp out there invisibly).  Either way works very well, but I like the spacing best.  I cant believe the results iv'e pulled with this.  I expected boom and echo, i've recieved realistic and balanced.  
Cool!

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2003, 08:29:50 AM »
the spaced omnis

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2003, 10:46:04 AM »
if you want a "stereo image" with omnis you need either some baffling or a huge spread, from what i've read

My omni recording did have a good "stereo image." Not as defined as with cardioids, but more like what you hear at the show. I'm quite interested in trying some sort of baffling next. Maybe a winter project?

maybe something to look into, calico

http://www.sonicstudios.com/liteguy.htm

For $600 not anytime too soon.
 ::)

I'll build my own. I'm not sold on the "human head" design. Too bulky I think. Ideally I'd like a collapsable baffle.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2003, 09:22:08 PM »
if you want a "stereo image" with omnis you need either some baffling or a huge spread, from what i've read

My omni recording did have a good "stereo image." Not as defined as with cardioids, but more like what you hear at the show. I'm quite interested in trying some sort of baffling next. Maybe a winter project?

maybe something to look into, calico

http://www.sonicstudios.com/liteguy.htm

For $600 not anytime too soon.
 ::)

I'll build my own. I'm not sold on the "human head" design. Too bulky I think. Ideally I'd like a collapsable baffle.

oooops! didn't even see the price there, that is a lot for a stuffed piece of canvas.  Just throwing ideas out there.  I really liked mics sennheiser dummyhead, that was sweeet

Offline Arglebargle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2003, 09:49:06 PM »
I used a soft sided cooler for a baffle with my DPA 4060s, the price was right and I can store gear in it. With a little duct tape you could get that on a stand pretty easy I bet.

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2003, 09:59:48 PM »
how does that sound argle?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2003, 10:00:21 PM by Schwilly »

Offline Arglebargle

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2003, 10:17:43 PM »
It sounds really good to me, but my ears are not as discerning as others and it may not be up to everybody else's standards or tastes, but I really like it. I've only tried it this way once so far because I grew tired of not being able to talk or dance when I wear the mics on my head. I put the whole contraption up on the stage and there are a few odd noises from all the damn balloons some one let loose on Halloween and some girl kept wacking it with her magic wand all night for some strange reason. But I find the crowd noise to be less of an issue because the mics are closer to the monitors than way in the back. I really prefer the sound and the scene up in the front to the section, and I figure there's a ton of tapes being made back there anyways so I have much more fun taping without a stand to worry about. My other mics are AKG 480s and I have to say I much prefer the sound of omnis so my next investment for taping will probably be omni caps for my AKGs if I can find them, because I bought the DPAs for stealth purposes, but I now use them for everything I tape and my poor AKGs are getting lonely. If I can get them I'll be taping them to the outside of the cooler like the DPAs, but I'd really like to rig up some kind of roll cage to keep shit from wacking them.

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2003, 10:31:35 PM »
hey, do you think I would be able to get a copy of the recording when you used the cooler baffle?

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2003, 10:35:19 PM »
i don't do much non-stealth stuff or else I would invest in a stand setup.  Good luck on the roll cage tho ;)

Offline Arglebargle

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2003, 10:41:33 PM »
Sure thing, my email is arglebargle420@hotmail.com, send me your addy and let me know if you want audio or FLAC. There is some strange anomoly described in http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?board=23;action=display;threadid=8795 that I have not been able to find an answer to. I can see it but I can't hear it in the recording, and I can't think of a single explanation except for being close to the monitors or the floor.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com