Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Connector Selection  (Read 3080 times)

Offline chuckcage

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Learning fast...
Connector Selection
« on: November 10, 2003, 03:58:11 AM »
Everyone:

I'm wiring up a battery system for my PB224 (Rolls phantom power supply) and my AD-20.  The PB224 wants either 12 volts or two 9v while the AD-20 will take darn near anything (7-24 volts).  

All the 12v solutions I've seen offer absurdly more capacity than I need for these two units, so it looks like the easiest/cheapest solution is 18v via two 9.6v "RC Car style" battery packs.  Radio Shack and a number of others carry some reasonably priced deals for packs and charger.

So, the meat of my post:  I want to wire the two packs together, then wire up a harness with two 9V connectors for the PB224 and a 1/8" plug for the AD-20.  I'd like to connect the harness to the batteries via a single connector, then wire that to each battery with their stock connector for easy charging.  

My question is -- what would be a good connector for this purpose?  Is there any reason for me not to just use a 1/8" mini?

Chuck
---
Currently:
C1000s/MK012 > PB224 > AD-20 > NJB3

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re:Connector Selection
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2003, 08:57:48 AM »
Everyone:

I'm wiring up a battery system for my PB224 (Rolls phantom power supply) and my AD-20.  The PB224 wants either 12 volts or two 9v while the AD-20 will take darn near anything (7-24 volts).  

All the 12v solutions I've seen offer absurdly more capacity than I need for these two units, so it looks like the easiest/cheapest solution is 18v via two 9.6v "RC Car style" battery packs.  Radio Shack and a number of others carry some reasonably priced deals for packs and charger.

So, the meat of my post:  I want to wire the two packs together, then wire up a harness with two 9V connectors for the PB224 and a 1/8" plug for the AD-20.  I'd like to connect the harness to the batteries via a single connector, then wire that to each battery with their stock connector for easy charging.  

My question is -- what would be a good connector for this purpose?  Is there any reason for me not to just use a 1/8" mini?

Chuck

What about a very small 12v SLA, like the .8AH at Powersonic?

As for the connector, I would a locking connector of some kind - XLR, mini-XLR, the white plastic squarish ones that the come on the RC batts, etc.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline chuckcage

• Taperssection Regular
  • Learning fast...
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2003, 12:19:37 PM »
Whoops.  It occurrs to me that one particularly good reason not to use 1/8" mini is that it'll short on the way in.  Doh!

While I don't mind using the white plastic ones to connect the batteries together, I'm not thrilled with using it to connect to the harness because they're so are to unplug.  I'd hate to be thrashing around in my gear trying to unplug them, maybe pulling loose something.

I think the ultimate would be those small XLRs I've seen but can't seem to find.  Have you seen them available anywhere?

Chuck
---
Currently:

Offline chuckcage

• Taperssection Regular
  • Learning fast...
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2003, 12:26:26 PM »
Doh!  Found 'em.  They're called TA3M/TA3F and they're made by Switchcraft.  Markertek doesn't carry them, but Mouser does.

Chuck
---
Currently:

Offline InfiniteOhms

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
    • LMA Uploads
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2003, 03:00:02 PM »
if you decide to go with the "RC" style battts ... you cant beat this price

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3636482643&category=31684

I baught this same package / same seller a few months ago and have been very pleased with it .... but you might want to pick up a "smart charger" at a local rat shack ... so you can plug both batts in a once and not have to worry about over charge or anything.
ADK A-51s LE's > Oade W-mod UA-5 > Zoom H4n Pro if I bother to drag out a full rig. More often just the H4N Pro. My LMA tapes

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.046 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com