Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 1 TB or 2 500 GB drives?  (Read 4416 times)

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My show list
1 TB or 2 500 GB drives?
« on: February 04, 2008, 07:44:25 PM »
hey folks, I'm about to purchase some more external Hard drive space.  I want a network drive, so that I can access it from my windows computer, my wife will be able to access it with her mac, and an eventual third computer that will be used only for playing music. (maybe a linux box, but maybe a mac mini).

anyway, at this point, I think I'm going to go for a terrabyte.  I'll probably need 2 or 3 three to get my whole music collection on there, but I've got to start somewhere, and I think 1 TB will allow me to get a sizeable portion of my Phish collection onto one drive.

I'm about to go for the 1TB version of the "LaCie Ethernet Big Disk"
http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?pid=10882

my only reservation about this drive, based on what I've read on the internet (about this drive specifically, and external hard drives in general), is that this drive has two 500 GB drives in it.  From what I understand, this increases the chances of failure, because if one of the drives go, the whole thing is gone.

So, should I go for it?  or would it be better to get two 500 GB drives (in separate enclosures, so that if one goes, the other one doesn't necessarily go with it).  any thoughts?

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
Re: 1 TB or 2 500 GB drives?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 08:13:42 PM »
I just bought one of the new silver 1TB MyBook externals.  Its one drive instead of two.   I had it for a week with heavy transfers back and forth on it and so far so good.   

I would always be very wary of any consumer grade drive that relies on two drives to make one big one.  Especially if you are going to put stuff on it that is irreplaceable.   

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 08:20:49 PM »
I thought that I'd read somewhere that the new WD drives have some sort of software restriction that limits which files can be accessed via the ethernet connection.  like it wouldn't let you read/write some types of media files.  perhaps I'm wront about that, but that turned me off from the WD drives.

I would always be very wary of any consumer grade drive that relies on two drives to make one big one.  Especially if you are going to put stuff on it that is irreplaceable.   

everything on the drive would be replaceable.  just time consuming to replace.

Offline newscane

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
    • somuchtosay.net
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 08:57:10 PM »
Current rig: Avantone CK-1 > UA-5 > DR-100mk11
Retired: JB3

My (DMB) shows: http://www.dmbexchange.com/list.php?user=newscane
My website: http://www.somuchtosay.net

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 09:35:06 AM »
I like 1tb drives..., but if it goes, thats a lot of gone data.

if its important, a dual drive mirror setup is the way to go.  Otherwise I just backup all the *must not loose* data on DVD, several copies....

I lost all of my 2006 masters on my NAS drive.  stay away from Netgear SC101.
fwiw...
I should have had it mirrored.  but I didn't.  My bad.  Lots of excellent recordings never to be heard again.

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 01:17:34 AM »
Lots of excellent recordings never to be heard again.

dude, I thought you said that they were your tapes?

;)
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2008, 08:18:45 AM »
:flipa:

Offline vegeta_ban

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2008, 12:13:31 AM »

That is why I have about 3 or 4 500 GB hard drives, if one goes, I still have backups.
Mics: Telefunken ELA M 260 Field Kit; Nakamichi cm 100/CP4 shotgun (CP 1&2); Nakamichi Cm 300 (CP 1, 2, & 3) x3  JB phantom power mod; Nakamichi Cm 1000s; Superlux CMH8K
Recorders: Sound Devices 722; Zoom F8; Edirol R44 Oade Concert Mod; Digimod UA5>Nomad Jukebox 3 (or Archos 605 wifi); Zoom H2; Zoom H6
Camcorder: Panasonic PV-GS300
Camera: Fujifilm X-E1 & various lenses; Fujifilm s100fs; Fujifilm S7000
Misc: Beachtek SVU-2

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2008, 01:10:36 AM »
 is it your 'reference copy', or a copy of something else. if it is your 'reference/only' copy, i WOULD NOT keep it on a single drive, and esp 2x500 made up to one 1tb drive, as statistically it would have twice the failure rate.

your best bet is two (or four, or 6 etc) independent external drives, that you have two copies of everything at all times. at this point it would matter less if they were 2x500 or single terabyte drives, since you have a backup. if you want to uber geek out and automate it, a RAID 1/5/6 setup would do the same thing, but it sounds like you want externals, and in that case, you gotta back it up manually.
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2008, 08:33:57 AM »
thats why I back things up to DVD.  put them in a case, and on the stack.
the HDD copies are for normal "use"...., and I'm certain that I'll be moving things (probably EVERYTHING) to Flash based storage in the not too distant future.
no need to run out and get on the cheap HDD bandwagon...its just one rung in the ladder of technology that we climb ...way too fast all ready.

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2008, 10:45:30 AM »
and I'm certain that I'll be moving things (probably EVERYTHING) to Flash based storage in the not too distant future.

We'll have to see how things go but no way do I see flash as proven being more reliable yet... 

Of course it is necessary to disinguish between active use of flash for recording vs. archival. For field recording, the flash seems kinda shakey even in comparison to all the delicate mechanics of hdisks.

And we're still a Long way from having terabytes of affordable flash for archive..  I don't think flash has been used much for long term archiving, so it is somewhat untested. A static shock is not going to destroy mag media (maybe the controller but not the media).  But I'm not so sure about flash...  One thing about flash is there are so many companies doing controller chipsets and combining it with memory chips, etc. So there is a lot of variety and that may be part of the reason why there are so many issues.  With hard drives there are very, very few manufacturers and I'd wager the Q/A is more mature. Stories of cameras recovered from riverbeds and the flash being fine are encouraging.

I guess I have more confidence in the magnetic recording process than in flash. Opti media makes me even more nervous and not just because I buy it at sam's club.  I wish mag media densities were increasing Much faster...

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2008, 10:58:11 AM »

My plan is to back up my large drives to a bunch of DATs        ::)         8)
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2008, 02:59:12 PM »
theres no way hard disks are gonna be obsolete in the next 10 years. flash will emerge as a faster alternative as it becomes cost competitive, but cheap storage will favor the hard drive for a while. 750gb drives are like $150, and we have the technology today to make 1.66 TB drives (5 333GB platters), we'll be at 2TB soon enough, and in two years they will be under $200
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2008, 07:39:06 AM »
guaranteed that moving parts, spinning platters..etc will be gone and SS storage *de facto* for computer storage in 10 years.  Absolutely.  It will become cheaper to manufacture, thus more profitable to the big companies.
Think how long a laptop battery would last if your system ran off of a 32gb SolidState drive ?  (or a 64gb, which will be next year or there after..., then 128, 258, 512, 1024 (1TB flash babby!!!).

look back 10 years and tell me what you see.  You couldn't even get a 32gb HDD back then.  w/the move always being towards smaller and faster, how can flash not be the clear choice ?
And also put faith in the thought that flash technology will also advance in security and reliability right along side its storage capabilities.
Solid State !

10 years ago, a system w/4gb of storage was sufficient.
now you can carry that on your keychain.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 07:41:39 AM by Nick's Picks »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com