Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: NAS storage for audio files?  (Read 17492 times)

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
Re: NAS storage for audio files?
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2015, 09:24:11 PM »
^ Good point.

I guess I can just run the USB DAC out of something like a Raspberry Pi and let that live next to the stereo. That would solve  the problem of the NAS working with the DAC.

The noise from the NAS, while a concern, is something I'd likely have to deal with. I wonder how much heat the NAS generates. Could I put it inside a cabinet to help keep the noise down? I tried to run my PC inside a under desk cabinet...that did not work out so well, but only when really doing heavy work like editing/processing video.

I'd still have to have the NAS near the TV and all of that lives together in my house.

Just build a real HTPC, Mike.  You can do it on the cheap.  I3 is the way to go, if you're not a gamer.  Just invest in a good power-sipping video card and you're golden.  I keep my NAS on the other side of the house attached via ethernet to my router.  Everything pumps through my Marantz receiver.  If I want something quick and easy (a house party), my Samsung TV recognizes Twonky from my NAS and can stream, therefore no need to turn on the HTPC.  Tons of options. 

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2015, 12:32:47 PM »
I have a windows home server box I built a few years ago that does all this.  sits in the closet (everything is hard wired), host music to my various squeezeboxes, host video's to my fire tv with Kodi, runs torrents etc etc.  when the time comes I plan to change to a NAS.  Just saw where qnap is no longer supporting the squeezbox software though.
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2015, 07:26:18 AM »
With my NAS, as with any NETWORK attached storage device, you can not only access it from the internet, but from within your intranet.  If your stereo (or HDTV) is connected to your network then you can stream music and HD video wirelessly with a cariety of apps like Subsonic, Plex, etc.  I do both.  QNAP has two of their own phone apps that I primarily use, Qfile (remote audio and video playback, including transcoding on the fly) and Qmanager (system tools for restart, reboot, etc).  As long as I have a cell phone signal I can watch and listen to anything that is on my NAS at home.  My box contains 5 x 4TB HGST NAS drives in RAID 6.  [Theoretically] With double-parity I can lose two drives and still not lose any data although I have all of my masters backed up in three other places.

One thing to keep in mind about all-in-one boxes like Synology and QNAP is they each use a proprietary OS in their system so no pulling out drives and thinking your gonna read them elsewhere. 

You may also want to considering cooking your own with FreeNAS.  You can get parts pretty cheap and then upgrade as needed.

last time i used any of the synology stuff im pretty sure they were using a BSD or linux flavor and running standard formating on the drives but I could be mistaken

there are also several ope source options for building your own if you have a spare computer lying around. Freenas being one of them
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline dyneq

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2016, 03:07:54 PM »
Bumping this thread because I want to replace an old D-Link DNS-323 that is sloooow. Does anyone have any updates on their experiences?

I don't need to transcode or stream video, just want it to store/stream FLAC & MP3 audio and photos and be a stable, power-sipping box with decent read/write performance, so I'm not sure if I should spend the extra $ for an Intel processor.

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2016, 08:57:15 PM »
Stay away from Buffalo.  I recently got a synology unit and am happy with it.

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2016, 06:09:00 PM »
Bumping this thread because I want to replace an old D-Link DNS-323 that is sloooow. Does anyone have any updates on their experiences?

I don't need to transcode or stream video, just want it to store/stream FLAC & MP3 audio and photos and be a stable, power-sipping box with decent read/write performance, so I'm not sure if I should spend the extra $ for an Intel processor.

2-bay: http://www.frys.com/product/8664700
4-bay for an extra $100: http://www.frys.com/product/8664710

These are both diskless, but looky here, $109/ea for 4TB HGST's:  http://www.frys.com/product/6943757?clickid=w15yVWXaZ3SfU92TFZUsgRzFUkSz4IQhxytbwM0

Have fun!
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2016, 01:46:51 PM »
I'm actually very happy with my Seagate 3TB Personal Cloud storage NAS. It does what I need it to do (music to most any device in my house) plus I can access all my music from any internet connected device away from home. All for <$100.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2016, 06:39:49 PM »
Chuck...can you share the software/playback hardware side of your setup...as it relates to playing your live recording collection?

I've read about lots of issues with NAS & iTunes and wonder if you are using something else...then what hardware is at the AV amp.

This must be heaven -- 'cause here's where the rainbow ends
If this ain't the real thing, then it's close enough to pretend

Offline Chuck

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2016, 08:11:42 PM »
Chuck...can you share the software/playback hardware side of your setup...as it relates to playing your live recording collection?

I've read about lots of issues with NAS & iTunes and wonder if you are using something else...then what hardware is at the AV amp.

I'm sure this will be primitive by many standards, but...

Seagate 3TB Personal Cloud storage NAS - connected to my Comcast wireless router
All my files are FLACs stored in the shared directory on the NAS

I have an old Gateway laptop (LAN and wireless connected) with no e-mail or other crap on it to slow it down or make noises, alerts etc... I use for playback in my main listening room. I ran a long HDMI cable from it to my Yamaha RX-V379 receiver (HTML input). I use MusicBee software to play the files on the laptop. I really like the MusicBee software. I also love having a big screen (on the laptop that I can also project onto my flat screen) as the visual interface. It just makes me happy and works great. I can also stream Archive.org recordings on the laptop when I want to. I still can't believe the Archive.org player doesn't do gapless playback. If it did, I'd use that WAY more.

In my man cave I have a desktop computer and I use MusicBee software to play the FLACs on an analog Cambridge Audio amp from the computer's upgraded sound card.

I also use an old Motorola Moto G phone (no SIM card etc...) I have to play music in other rooms. I use an app called BubbleUPnP to wirelessly access the FLACs on the NAS on the phone and play them out through the headphone jack. The BubbleUPnP app is clunky, but it works OK for my purposes.

I only use iTunes to transfer MP3 files (on another shared network drive) onto a couple of iPod Touch devices I have. One for the car and one for use when I take long walks. I have not been able to integrate iTunes into my regular playback and I'm fine with that. :)

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2016, 08:43:50 AM »
Thank you!

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2016, 05:46:24 PM »
I'm actually very happy with my Seagate 3TB Personal Cloud storage NAS. It does what I need it to do (music to most any device in my house) plus I can access all my music from any internet connected device away from home. All for <$100.

Been forever since I've posted on ts.com, esp outside of the CO Crue thread, but slow day at work and I just came across this.

Wish I had seen this a couple months ago which would have helped me find things quicker, but like Chuck I got the Seagate Personal Cloud 3TB.  I had beers with Phil R recently and he went a similar route, but went with the WD My Cloud. 

I'm using Plex (for NAS) which is basically free to stream/organize music.  Plex has NAS software for a number of drive brands including the Personal Cloud, My Cloud and Synology and Buffalo drives.

The critical piece I finally found to replace my aging Squeezeboxes is the relatively new Google Chromecast Audio.  I totally love it.  Basically the same I guess as a regular Chromecast and many people might prefer that, but the Chromecast Audio doesn't need a TV for an interface.  You can stream/cast to it using a pc/mac, android phone or iOS iphone or ipad.  Lots of apps work with it, including Plex as well as spotify, rhaposody, etc. 

No need for having the TV running to manage your audio, control directly with your phone or tablet.  Guess I'm the opposite of Chuck, but I hate having to manage my music playback through a TV -- just don't like having to have a TV on so I can listen to music.

Among the good things about the Chromecast Audio is that it has bit perfect digital (optical) output (or analog out via 1/8" mini), and you can buy multiple units to support multi-room audio. It supports 24/44 or 24/48 flacs bit perfect (with upsampling to 88 or 96), and can also play mp3's, 16bit wavs, etc.  $35 each too, so way cheaper than Sonos. 

I'm using mine with a Musical Fidelity DAC into my playback system.  Beyond using Spotify, I've got the music collection on the Seagate Personal Cloud in the AV closet attached to my DLink router.  The drive has the Plex server software on it, so I can play the music on the NAS via wifi (intranet) on my macbook or ipad via the Plex app, or I can play it on my main stereo via the Chromecast Audio.  Use my ipad or iphone as a control interface, play the music off the Personal Cloud NAS, and cast it to the Chromecast, and feed it to the MF DAC so I've got good digital>analog conversion.  Excellent playback quality and flexibility, and the Chromecast Audio has way more support for 3rd party apps than the dated squeezebox.

Right now I've got only one Chromecast Audio to feed my upstairs playback system or the multi-room whole home audio system (both amps in my AV closet).  I'll probably get a second one for the downstairs playback systems as well, maybe get a third for the office playback.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline Chuck

« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2016, 06:02:18 PM »
Now I have some research and maybe a purchase or two to make. I tried PLEX years ago and abandoned it. I may have to give it another look! I'll look into it, but I don't quite understand how the PLEX software works on the NAS. I didn't know that was possible.

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2016, 09:17:45 AM »
Is Plex Gapless? I recall it was if I hooked the outputs of the laptop and ran native on the Laptop...If I ran thru a browser and cast to the Chromcast (TV no Audio only version) It was not gapless.

I've since given up on Plex. It was clunky on managing the meta data as I recall too....fought with it for the last time September 2015.

Offline philR

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2016, 10:17:57 AM »
Guess I'll chime in too. As Todd said I went with the WD my cloud ex2. Love the thing. I tried running PLEX directly on the NAS but it choked with the metadata. So I moved the PLEX server to an old desktop and it points to the NAS. That way the desktop handles all the transcoding.

My main purpose was to have access to my full media library remotely, and PLEX does that wonderfully. I've got the PLEX app on my iPad and iPhone and can use that to stream remotely. Also when I'm at home I can use my chrome cast on my tv to stream from the iOS app to the tv.

Overall I'm very happy with the setup.

Edit: I should also add the only reason I went the PLEX route is because the native WD app that you can use to stream NAS content only handles MP3 and MP4 media files. That's about 1% of my total library so I had to find another way.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 10:23:34 AM by philR »
Neumann AK40 > LC3KA > KM100 > V2 > 744t

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2016, 01:45:41 AM »
Ooooo...glad I found this thread.  I've been trying to find a replacement for my aging Squeezeboxes and to date had only found unnecessarily expensive packages that included speakers (or more) that I do not need.  Looks like Chromecast Audio may just be the ticket.  And I'm also revisiting NAS, which I've put off for some time now.  Thanks, all for the discussion and info on your setups!
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com