Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mic Placement?  (Read 3383 times)

Offline gormenghast

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Taperssection Member
Mic Placement?
« on: May 04, 2015, 05:46:57 PM »
Taped a bleugrass band this weekend and didn't have many--any--options other than to tape my stand to a post and run the mics about 8ft up.  Your thoughts on this spot?  DFC about 20 feet from there stage.

A lot of people run a race to see who is the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts, who can punish himself into exhausting pace, and then at the end, punish himself even more.

Offline danny3

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Mic Placement?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 07:41:45 PM »
If it was me, I would have tried to come out just a bit to get clear of the overhang. Maybe with a 90 degree pipe, or elbow and extension. I can't tell from the photo; maybe the piece between the stand and the shock mount could rotate down 90 degrees and that would get you out more.

Offline gormenghast

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 08:27:21 PM »
The recording came out pretty good music-wise.  Schoeps 4's ORTF w/PFAs>Aerco>M10.  Typical bar crowd noisy as heck.

I didn't think too much about the placement until I looked at the picture.  But I didn't have much choice either.  This pole might have worked and helped with the crowd noise but I wasn't in the frame of mind to guard my gear.  Bad enough I had beer spilled on my leg and foot and drunks reaching over my gear to put their drink down or pick it up.
A lot of people run a race to see who is the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts, who can punish himself into exhausting pace, and then at the end, punish himself even more.

Offline Ultfris101

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Spoon!!!
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 09:33:06 AM »
You could end up in much worse spots.

Like was suggested above, maybe consider something like this to help get a little separation from the obstructions and you'll be in pretty good shape:

http://www.fullcompass.com/product/353524.html

There are longer extensions that might work too but then you also start getting into issues with moving center of gravity away from center. If you can anchor to the post or something then that's not an issue.
Mics: Schoeps MK5,MK41 CMC6,KCY,KC5 | AKG ck63,ck1 C460B,C480B | DPA 4061 | Naiant X-R card,hyper | CA-14o,c
Pres: Sound Devices USBPre2 | Naiant Tinybox | Church Audio 9200, UBB
Recs: Zoom F8 | Edirol R-44 | Sony PCM-M10 | Tascam DR-2d
Video: Sony CX550(2), CX580, HX9

LMA: http://archive.org/bookmarks/ultfris101

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2015, 08:01:54 AM »
The recording came out pretty good music-wise.  Schoeps 4's ORTF w/PFAs>Aerco>M10.  Typical bar crowd noisy as heck.

I didn't think too much about the placement until I looked at the picture.  But I didn't have much choice either.  This pole might have worked and helped with the crowd noise but I wasn't in the frame of mind to guard my gear.  Bad enough I had beer spilled on my leg and foot and drunks reaching over my gear to put their drink down or pick it up.

That would have been excellent placement & a good reason to carry spare mic cables so you can run your bag in a safer spot. Ted & I record at a local venue with a pole in a similar location, fortunately it's made of wood & Ted screwed a grab handle into the wood so we could clamp onto it. He also ran a 40ft long snake overhead so we can place our gear on a table next to the soundboard. The point is to always have a cheapo spare set of cables in the vehicle so you can get your gear bag ($$$$) away from the drunks spilling drinks.
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline gormenghast

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2015, 11:05:30 AM »

That would have been excellent placement & a good reason to carry spare mic cables so you can run your bag in a safer spot. Ted & I record at a local venue with a pole in a similar location, fortunately it's made of wood & Ted screwed a grab handle into the wood so we could clamp onto it. He also ran a 40ft long snake overhead so we can place our gear on a table next to the soundboard. The point is to always have a cheapo spare set of cables in the vehicle so you can get your gear bag ($$$$) away from the drunks spilling drinks.

Great idea I'll remember.  I did have cables for a possible soundboard feed but no xlr>xlrs.   

Just thinking back on that night.  It might have been tough to get my mics on that pole out of reach of the dancers who twirled around it.  I'm sure now I'll come up with something if I go there again.   

Offline Ultfris101

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Spoon!!!
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2015, 11:10:33 AM »

Great idea I'll remember.  I did have cables for a possible soundboard feed but no xlr>xlrs.   

Just thinking back on that night.  It might have been tough to get my mics on that pole out of reach of the dancers who twirled around it.  I'm sure now I'll come up with something if I go there again.

And now is when you start making friends with the FOH or others who work there and borrow a step ladder to get higher up. Sometimes I feel like I work at these places :P
Mics: Schoeps MK5,MK41 CMC6,KCY,KC5 | AKG ck63,ck1 C460B,C480B | DPA 4061 | Naiant X-R card,hyper | CA-14o,c
Pres: Sound Devices USBPre2 | Naiant Tinybox | Church Audio 9200, UBB
Recs: Zoom F8 | Edirol R-44 | Sony PCM-M10 | Tascam DR-2d
Video: Sony CX550(2), CX580, HX9

LMA: http://archive.org/bookmarks/ultfris101

Offline gormenghast

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2015, 12:06:31 PM »

And now is when you start making friends with the FOH or others who work there and borrow a step ladder to get higher up. Sometimes I feel like I work at these places :P

Exactly!  I was early enough and talked to the bar's sound guy.  He said no to the soundboard patch but was cool about anything else.   

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2015, 04:37:47 PM »

Or alternately, always tape with Ted!
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com