Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Anyone build a split omni bar, or a four mic bar to do like a 4 foot split?  (Read 2943 times)

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • 😈
Thanks, Marc
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
My outdoor festival setup isn't particularly similar to the norm around here, but extends 5'-6'.. supporting 6 mics since it's a surround recording rig.  Does that count?  ;)
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline chinariderstl

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • https://chris-finn.com/
I bought an aluminum split omni bar from Ted (tgakidis) a while back.  Also, I think 'followingbob' makes Delrin bars that can be used for 4 mics and/or split omnis.

I believe both have threads in the Retail Space boards.

http://taperssection.com/index.php?board=22.0

You might also try Robb ('darktrain') or the folks at Vark Audio.  They might be able to fashion a customer bar for you.  I bought a couple smaller Vark Delrin bars from them, and have a Delrin Robb-bar as well.

HTH, Chris.
Mics: Audio-Technica AT853's, Avantone CK-40 (Busman mod), Busman BSC1's, DPA 4022's, DPA 4060's
Pres: Apogee Mini-MP, Core Sound Battery Box
Decks: Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-2D, Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)
Power: Initial RB-270, Naztech PB15000
LMA: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Chris+Finn%22

Offline MakersMarc

• 😈
Thanks guys!

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline Ultfris101

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Spoon!!!
I made one like this. works great but it's 3ft.

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=161914.0
Mics: Schoeps MK5,MK41 CMC6,KCY,KC5 | AKG ck63,ck1 C460B,C480B | DPA 4061 | Naiant X-R card,hyper | CA-14o,c
Pres: Sound Devices USBPre2 | Naiant Tinybox | Church Audio 9200, UBB
Recs: Zoom F8 | Edirol R-44 | Sony PCM-M10 | Tascam DR-2d
Video: Sony CX550(2), CX580, HX9

LMA: http://archive.org/bookmarks/ultfris101

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
While not as great a spread as you are looking for I use a boom arm that I unscrewed the counter weight from. Each end is threaded 5/8-27 and with a couple of Shure A53s screwed on, center of mount to center of mount distance is a fraction under 36". Got the boom arm for cheap from my local independent music store since the rest of the stand had been damaged in shipping. Check a local independent if you have one or one of the chains (GC, Sam Ash etc) if no indepedents in your area. A different brand may have just the length you want.

Offline Bruce Watson

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Best commercial one is the modular system from Grace Design. The SB-100 is good for that 67cm sweet spot and a little more (it's 1.05 m). You can also buy this as the SB-200, which is two SB-100s connected together. I said it was modular, yes? You can buy all the parts as needed, including the mic holders, so you can have as many mics on the bar as you want.

As you might expect coming from Grace Design, these things work well and they are expensive.

Offline MakersMarc

• 😈
Thanks guys picked up a Gak bar.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
While not as great a spread as you are looking for I use a boom arm that I unscrewed the counter weight from. Each end is threaded 5/8-27 and with a couple of Shure A53s screwed on, center of mount to center of mount distance is a fraction under 36". Got the boom arm for cheap from my local independent music store since the rest of the stand had been damaged in shipping. Check a local independent if you have one or one of the chains (GC, Sam Ash etc) if no indepedents in your area. A different brand may have just the length you want.
^^
This works really well.  Even allows adjustment of horizontal tilt, as well as some off-center slide if necessary.  Upon breakdown the center mount can be left attached to the stand, the bar slid to one end then rotated down parallel to the collapsed stand, fitting in a folding-chair bag as one assembly instead of separate parts.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.051 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com