Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: AKG C1000 FAQ  (Read 9991 times)

Offline Cooker

• Local Crew
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
AKG C1000 FAQ
« on: July 13, 2004, 03:21:37 PM »
A. General Info
-  What is the C1000s?
-  How much do they cost?
-  What is the difference between the black finish and nickel finish versions?
-  What accessories does the C1000s come with?

B. Specifications
-  what is the frequency response of the C1000s?
-  What SPL levels can it handle?
-  Should I run mic-in or line-in on my recorder?

C. Power
-  Do I need phantom power for the C1000s?
-  how long will a 9V battery last?
-  What is the purpose of the on/off switch on the microphone?

D. Windscreens
-  Does the C1000s come with windscreens?
-  What other windscreens will fit the C1000s?

E. Mounting
-  Does the C1000s come with shockmounts?
-  What other shockmounts will the C1000s fit in?
-  What type of T-bars and stands will work with the C1000s?

F. Capsule Adapters
-  What type of pickup pattern does the C1000s have?
-  What is the PPC1000 adapter?
-  What is the PB1000 adapter?
-  are there any other capsules or patterns available?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A. General Info
1. What is the C1000s?
The C1000s is an entry-level condenser microphone from AKG. It is widely considered a good beginner microphone for concert recordists.

2. How much do they cost?
Prices vary, but you can expect to pay between $150 - $200 per mic new. used they can go from $100-$175

3. What is the difference between the black finish and nickel finish versions?
There is speculation that the older, black finish C1000s were of a higher quality and had superior sound to the newer nicle-finish versions. As far as i know the older versions are not available new anywhere, and there aren't many tapers using these mics. Older versions came with hard plastic cases not unlike those that ship with the SE300b microphones, and the newer versions come with soft canvas cases.

4. What accessories does the C1000s come with?
Each new C1000s microphone ships with a canvas carrying case, a W1000 windscreen, a SA43 mounting clip with 5/8" threads, a 3/8" - 5/8" thread adapter, a PPC1000 polar pattern converter, a PB1000 presence boost adapter, and manual in a cardboard box.

B. Specifications

5. what is the frequency response of the C1000s?

According to the manual, the frequency response is  50-20000 Hz with varying response curves based on polar pattern adapter.

6. What SPL levels can it handle?
it is  rated at 1% THD for 137dB, and 3% THD for 147 dB. So for all practical purposes, up to 137 dB

7. Should I run mic-in or line-in on my recorder?
I don't have a scientific answer for this, but you will have to experiment. i ran them line-in most of the time with a PCM-M1.

C. Power
8.  Do I need phantom power for the C1000s?

No, you do not. The C1000s is capable of running on an internal, standard 9V battery or on 9-52V of Phantom power. If phantom power is available, i would recommend using it as the mics will deliver a much punchier, fuller sound than being run off 9V. I cannot find any technical documentation to back up this claim, but you will find just about every taper who has tried this will agree it has sonic advantages.

9. How long will a 9V battery last?
--  answer forthcoming. rough estimate: 9+ hours

10. What is the purpose of the on/off switch on the microphone?
that switch turns the microphone on. I am unsure as to whether or not it needs to be on when using phantom power. If you don't turn it on using internal batteries, the microphone will not output sound. If you leave it on after you pack your microphones away, it will waste batteries. I recommend always mounting your mics with the switch facing down, so if there is a problem one quick glance will tell you whether you forgot to turn them on.

D. Windscreens
11.  Does the C1000s come with windscreens?

Yes. They actually come with two windscreens. there is a very small, light internal windscreen over the capsule itself, and the W1000 windscreens come with the mics as well. the internal windscreens are not very robust, and the combination of the two still can produce wind noise in a variety of situations.

12. What other windscreens will fit the C1000s?
Olsen Audio's Windtech 600 widscreens will fit, and there are some aftermarket SM57 windscreens that will fit as well. For a more robust windscreen, check out the Rycote Softie or the DIY Dead Rat Sock.

E. Mounting
13.  Does the C1000s come with shockmounts?

Yes. The capsule in the microphone has an internal shockmount. the SA43 stand adapters are a rubberized plastic and together they provide a level of dampening that is acceptable to most. I can state from personal experince that in 2+ ears of running the C1000s i never had an incident of stand noise running the stock configuration.
14.  What other shockmounts will the C1000s fit in?
the large size (1.3" diameter, 8.7" length") of the C1000s, coupled with their portly weight with batteries inside, makes them unusable with the AudioTechnica 8410, Shure A53M, Schoeps A20, Superlux HM-30. They will fit in the Sabra-Som SSM-1 and AudioTechnica 8415, as well as the Tensimount shocks.  More information on all these mounts is available here:  http://www.taperssection.com/index.php?topic=2457.0

15.  What type of T-bars and stands will work with the C1000s?
Most standard T-bars and Stands will work with the C1000s. Since the SA43 takes either a 3/8" or 5/8" thread, virtually all options are available to you. Running the mics in an XY configuration is usually best accomplished by mounting one microphone above the T-bar and One below, to accomadate for their large diameter.  I was never comfortable running the mics on the Bogen/Manfrotto 3373 "FOB" stand because their weight made the rig seem very top-heavy. i would recommend a sturdier stand unless being run at < 6'5"

F. Capsule Adapters
16.  What type of pickup pattern does the C1000s have?

The standard pickup pattern on the C1000s is a cardoid pattern. Check the manual for more specifics on the on-and off-axis response.

17.  What is the PPC1000 adapter?
the PPC1000 adapter is a Polar Pattern Converter. It allows you to convert the mic to a hypercardoid pickup pattern by simply sliding the adapter over the end of the cap. to do this, you unscrew the mic base like you would to remove the battery, then slide off the internal windscreen, push the PPC1000 down over the end of the capsule, slide the windscreen back over top of it, and screw the mic back together. Check the manual for more specifics on the on-and off-axis response.

18.  What is the PB1000 adapter?
The PB1000 is a Presence Boost adapter that creates an emphasis of the higher frequencies from 5 to 9 kHz by about 3 to 5 dB. According to the manual, it "only improves the transmission of sibilances but may be also advantageous when recording instruments requiring greater high frequency content in their audio spectrum.". I never used it in a live taping environment.

19. are there any other capsules or patterns available?
No.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2005, 10:26:53 AM by dmonterisi »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.045 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com