Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Any USBPRE2 experts out there?/win7 drivers wont install  (Read 7387 times)

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
Re: Any USBPRE2 experts out there?/win7 drivers wont install
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2014, 01:42:41 PM »
This has way too much gain for Neumann KM184's.

Your ipad issue you mention in the FS thread makes sense if you don't have a powered hub to connect them through as SD notes, but I'm calling user error on this one. You didn't post any additional information that was requested for us to help you and the specs for both pieces of equipment are well known:

KM184s are 14 mv/pa.
USBPre2 has a mic in clip point with the pad on of +4dbu. The limiter engages at -4dbfs.

Given all of this, with your usbpre2 set to minimum gain, it should not hit the limiter (let alone clip) with the Neumanns until you hit a hearing damaging 129SPL (and they wont clip until around 133 or 134). That's really rare here in the environments frequented by those here on TS.com; on stage, spot micing, etc. Thats where you'll see those levels. Anyone standing virtually anywhere in the audience won't come close.

So sure, you can sell the unit, but the above quote is a crap blanket statement.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2014, 02:35:12 PM »
This has way too much gain for Neumann KM184's.

So sure, you can sell the unit, but the above quote is a crap blanket statement.

Page is 100% correct here. Either your USBPre2 is defective or there is clearly an issue with the way it is configured. Neumanns no more sensitive than Schoeps or MBHOs and there have been hundreds, if not thousands, of successful recording made with both. AKGs are significantly more sensitive (~21 mv/pa) and even those should work just fine with the USBPre2. In fact, I would say there's probably no commonly used condensor microphone that is too hot to run with the USBPre2.

I highly recommend you post the requested information before selling the unit.

DF81

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2014, 04:57:40 PM »
I haven't read this thread in a couple weeks.  Thanks for the comments.

Here is a pic of the settings.  The mic's may be fine w/ the pads (though I have yet to test them), but now the 48v, limiter, and pad lights are not activating and I can't even get a signal.

WTF.  This must be an issue with the circuitry.  The warranty is only one year.  I sold my FP24 at the beginning of this year, been searching for a new preamp for months, spent a month dealing with an ebay ripoff, and now this piece of shit doesn't work... I'd like to have a preamp that works before 2015.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 05:36:16 PM by DF81 »

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2014, 11:10:03 PM »
This must be an issue with the circuitry.  The warranty is only one year.

Yeah, seeing those two pictures gives me more info and eliminates some questions I was going to ask, thanks. Given your current settings and troubles, I'd talk to SD if I were you. I had one unit that had a bad clock and sent it to them and they confirmed it, swapped it out for a new unit, and sent it back to me.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com