Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: "Leica... black... digital"  (Read 7713 times)

Offline Frank in JC

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • (formerly Frank M, but that guy forgot his pwd)
"Leica... black... digital"
« on: August 27, 2007, 05:13:42 PM »
I overheard a customer saying these three words to a sales agent in my favorite camera shop.  He had no idea what he needed or what features were important; everything was secondary to the brand name.  It turns out he wasn't looking for a proper Leica, but their least expensive digital.  It's a Panasonic in a fancy suit... still a nice camera, but come on... if a guy is going to buy a freakin' Leica, maybe his ass should know something about cameras and photography first.  Same old story, more money than brains.

Hmmm.... I think I need new mics... maybe a pair of grey, transformerless Schoeps?  I hear those are awesome.

End of rant.

Favorite generic quote from Archive.org:
"This recording is SICK--it's almost as good as a soundboard!"

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: "Leica... black... digital"
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 06:03:33 PM »
Hmmm, Leica, black, and digital all seem like reasonable requests to me, but then again, I'm just a former photography major who happens to love his Leica D-Lux 3, which happens to be Leica, black, and digital. I prefer to think of the Panasonic as the dressed down Leica. The D-Lux 3 is, by far, the best point and shoot in it's price range. Beautful camera. Don't be a hater.
The new and improved taperssection.com....now with freedom of speech without the repercussion of -T's!

again, your showing your cluelessness.

Jah sitteth in Mount Zion
And rules all creation........

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (1)
  • www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007, 08:40:28 AM »
I prefer to think of the Panasonic as the dressed down Leica.

Me too

It's my camera that always stays in my bag for work or in my car.  It's a fantastic little camera which the only thing i'd like it to do better is have a little bit better performance if you push the ISO above 200, but that's nitpicking for what I use it for.

\monorail cat approves
mics & cameras

Offline Frank in JC

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2007, 08:50:39 AM »
I think you may have missed my point, I have no problem with Leica--who would?  Look, the guy was a moron, but you really had to be there to appreciate that.  Yeah, a Leica was just what he needed.

You know what a Leica lens costs.  Now when the same company tries to sell you a lens AND a camera for less than a grand, you have to wonder if it's a machine of the same quality.   As consumers we cannot have our cake and eat it too.  I bought my father a Panasonic/Lumix a few years ago.  It has a "Leica" lens but it is NOT the kind of glass Leica is famous for.  It's still a very nice camera except for the chroma noise which is still visible at its base ISO.

I'd avoid calling it, "by far the best P&S in it's price range."  There is no clear winner.  For example, the Canon G7 is a better performer in some areas, most notably its lower chroma noise levels.  Honestly, I wanted to buy a Leica compact if only because they look so nice, but I ended up buying what was the better camera for my purposes, the Canon. 

Just remember: all compact cameras suck   :)

Hmmm, Leica, black, and digital all seem like reasonable requests to me, but then again, I'm just a former photography major who happens to love his Leica D-Lux 3, which happens to be Leica, black, and digital. I prefer to think of the Panasonic as the dressed down Leica. The D-Lux 3 is, by far, the best point and shoot in it's price range. Beautful camera. Don't be a hater.

Offline phanophish

• Trade Count: (2)
    • ImageLume Photography
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2007, 09:46:11 AM »
It's just like people who walk in and want Bose speakers because they are the best.  There was an audio place here that had a Bose satellite system setup to A/B against all their other speakers and it was honestly  sad. The guy that owned the place said it was the best $800 they ever invested.  They had never had a customer A/B the Bose and end up purchasing them.  Ever notice that the Bose stuff is never on display next to other speakers?  They are always in a standalone space or room.  There is a reason.

Photo:  Nikon D300, D200, 35mm f/1.8,  50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, 18-70 f/4.5-5.6, 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 VR, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VR, SB-800

Jake: What's this?
Elwood: What?
Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy? Where's the Caddy?
Elwood: The what?
Jake: The Cadillac we used to have. The Blues Mobile!
Elwood: I traded it.
Jake: You traded the Blues Mobile for this?
Elwood: No. For a microphone.
Jake: A microphone? Okay I can see that.

Offline Frank in JC

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2007, 10:07:22 AM »
It's just like people who walk in and want Bose speakers because they are the best.  There was an audio place here that had a Bose satellite system setup to A/B against all their other speakers and it was honestly  sad. The guy that owned the place said it was the best $800 they ever invested.  They had never had a customer A/B the Bose and end up purchasing them.  Ever notice that the Bose stuff is never on display next to other speakers?  They are always in a standalone space or room.  There is a reason.

"Oh, you're into audio--what kind of speakers do you have?"
"You probably never heard the name, but they're Von Schweikerts"
"Are they as good as Bose?"
(I've given up saying "better" because they don't believe me.)

Leica at least has earned its name recognition by making great cameras, while Bose just spent a lot of money on marketing and advertising. 
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 10:08:53 AM by Frank in JC »

Offline phanophish

• Trade Count: (2)
    • ImageLume Photography
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2007, 10:43:42 AM »

"Oh, you're into audio--what kind of speakers do you have?"
"You probably never heard the name, but they're Von Schweikerts"
"Are they as good as Bose?"
(I've given up saying "better" because they don't believe me.)

Leica at least has earned its name recognition by making great cameras, while Bose just spent a lot of money on marketing and advertising. 

Very true.  I wan;t meaning to imply that Leica sucks.  You should see the looks I get when I tell people I have Magnepan speakers.  What are they?  They are a magneplanar speaker?  What's that?  Oh never mind, they are just thin......

Photo:  Nikon D300, D200, 35mm f/1.8,  50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, 18-70 f/4.5-5.6, 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 VR, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VR, SB-800

Jake: What's this?
Elwood: What?
Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy? Where's the Caddy?
Elwood: The what?
Jake: The Cadillac we used to have. The Blues Mobile!
Elwood: I traded it.
Jake: You traded the Blues Mobile for this?
Elwood: No. For a microphone.
Jake: A microphone? Okay I can see that.

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2007, 10:51:53 AM »
I think you may have missed my point, I have no problem with Leica--who would?  Look, the guy was a moron, but you really had to be there to appreciate that.  Yeah, a Leica was just what he needed.

We are all so saturated with branding and brand preferences.

Maybe he saw one at a party and chatted with the owner.. Decided it was just what he needed.. The fact that there aren't a zillion leica models to confuse things, he just needed to know leica and black and digi.. If it had been canon, nikon, etc, he would have had to write down the model number and then wait for the counter guy to try and sell him something else.

I picked up a panasonic dmc-tz3 from costco (Japanese Leica lens) before my vacation. Great camera so far, especially the 10x opti zoom. Not so grat at higher ISOs. Still have about 8 weeks to return it if I don't like it (love that return policy) but I seriously doubt it will be going back.

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2007, 01:09:42 PM »

Hmm reminds me of a certain cable company .........  Monster Cable

Offline Frank in JC

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2007, 01:52:15 PM »
Hmm reminds me of a certain cable company .........  Monster Cable

Now that's a company worth ranting about.  Those litigious jackasses act like they invented the word "monster." 

"Protecting their copyright" my ass... they're sniffing glue.

Offline spreetaper

• Taperssection Member
    • Brooklynvibes.com
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2007, 12:28:04 PM »
I overheard a customer saying these three words to a sales agent in my favorite camera shop.  He had no idea what he needed or what features were important; everything was secondary to the brand name.  It turns out he wasn't looking for a proper Leica, but their least expensive digital.  It's a Panasonic in a fancy suit... still a nice camera, but come on... if a guy is going to buy a freakin' Leica, maybe his ass should know something about cameras and photography first.  Same old story, more money than brains.

Hmmm.... I think I need new mics... maybe a pair of grey, transformerless Schoeps?  I hear those are awesome.

End of rant.

guess it depends where you hang out
if yo use a site like flickr you could easily find a camera by looking at what other people use and come up with that
and I happen to have one of these
http://www.flickr.com/cameras/panasonic/dmc-lx2/

its a very nice camera
My new blog site with live recordings and photography
(Brooklynvibes.com)

Cameras = Digital Rebel XT, XTi
Lenses =Canon 50mm f1.4, 50mm f1.8, 85mm f1.8, 
70-200mm f2.8, 24-70mm f2.8
Tokina AT-X 124 (12-24 f/4)

Main Rig = AKG 414's > SD 702
Extra gear = Apogee MiniMe, Sound Devices MP-2, Tascam HD-P2
Stealth = AT853's > BB > Edirol R-09

Playback = Cambridge DVD> Digital Link III > Trio C-100> VR-1's

Offline Frank in JC

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2007, 01:05:33 PM »

End of rant.

guess it depends where you hang out
if yo use a site like flickr you could easily find a camera by looking at what other people use and come up with that
and I happen to have one of these
http://www.flickr.com/cameras/panasonic/dmc-lx2/

its a very nice camera

This was an old post... but to be clear my main issue was with the inarticulate and uninformed customer himself.  I also found it particularly amusing that a person would set out to buy a "Leica" without doing any homework first. 

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (1)
  • www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2007, 10:16:11 AM »
Saw a guy with the new M8 yesterday taking pictures of houses on my street, so I asked him if I could play with it.  Very fun little camera.

Anyone want to give me about 8 grand?
mics & cameras

stirinthesauce

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2007, 10:30:09 AM »
Saw a guy with the new M8 yesterday taking pictures of houses on my street, so I asked him if I could play with it.  Very fun little camera.

Anyone want to give me about 8 grand?

only like 5400 at bh  :P

guess the 8 was with lenses  ;)  ;D

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2007, 11:38:47 AM »
that M8 is beautiful.
until i win the lottery, i'm sticking with my d-lux 3.
The new and improved taperssection.com....now with freedom of speech without the repercussion of -T's!

again, your showing your cluelessness.

Jah sitteth in Mount Zion
And rules all creation........

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com