Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Windscreens. Go big or go small?  (Read 15215 times)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: Windscreens. Go big or go small?
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2016, 08:39:05 AM »
Interesting.  Thanks for the tip, I'll look into that.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline if_then_else

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2016, 06:35:03 AM »
Interesting.  Thanks for the tip, I'll look into that.

Here are some more pics of the Reinhardt "Rain Hat". As I wrote, the material of the upper layer appears to be 10-PPI / coarse PUR (that's the sort of open-cell foam that's used in catalytic converters). Its purpose is to disperse the raindrops. On the bottom side there's a thin layer of what appears to by high-density polyethylene (the same variety that's used to protect new TV screens or printers from scratches and humidity). That (water-repellant) layer  is intended to channel the water that might manage to percolate through the coarse PUR. Make sure that there's at least 5 cm of excess length at either end of the rain hat in order to prevent the water from running along the bottom side of the foam.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 11:01:02 AM by if_then_else »

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2016, 10:17:12 AM »
^
Thanks for the info if_then_else.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 10:18:55 AM by dactylus »
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline lsd2525

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2016, 01:07:01 PM »
I'm about to pull the trigger. Anyone know any cheaper place than B&H for some BAS's?
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's
Recorders: M10; DR-60D; DR-701D

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2016, 02:30:45 PM »

With summer outdoor taping opportunities approaching I picked up a pair of the Movo WST50s for my AKG active setup. I like the fit and construction especially for the price.

http://www.amazon.com/Movo-Professional-Windscreen-Technology-Microphones/dp/B00YHTUCQM

I have one concern now that I have them on the mics. My AKG CK1X capsules are the kind with the cone shape back end that contains the LEMO jack. If I pull the screen up onto the mic so that the rubber base seals up against the sides of the capsules this only leaves a 1-2 cm space between the back of the vents and the surface of the rubber base. It also leaves a bit of an air gap at the front of the mic which could only be good. My fear is that the 4 inch round rubber base being so close to the vents would create reflections.

Only way to find out is to get out and use them so I'll report back later. I guess anything is better than getting wind noise ruining a recording.

In the past I've used the little stock AKG screens indoors just to have some just-in-case type protection. I've used DPAs indoors and in light gusts with success. Fail on gustier occasions. The Shure 81s never let me down but once they blew off some AK43s in a strong breeze. Since my current active caps are even smaller in diameter than the AKs I wanted some other solution, maybe something more compact as well.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Online jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2016, 02:39:01 PM »
I still prefer my DPA windscreen with Windcutter storm chaser furs over them.   Smaller footprint than the shures and equally as effective.  I don't believe Windcutter are making dead rats anymore. 
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2016, 04:59:12 PM »
^  Windcutter has a good reputation and I had always wanted to try some of their products.  Unfortunately, the company suspended operations about a year ago due to a "sudden and unexpected loss" and nothing has changed since then. > http://www.thewindcutter.com/  Really a shame. 

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #52 on: May 09, 2016, 08:33:53 AM »
http://www.amazon.com/Movo-Professional-Windscreen-Technology-Microphones/dp/B00YHTUCQM

I have one concern now that I have them on the mics. My AKG CK1X capsules are the kind with the cone shape back end that contains the LEMO jack. If I pull the screen up onto the mic so that the rubber base seals up against the sides of the capsules this only leaves a 1-2 cm space between the back of the vents and the surface of the rubber base. It also leaves a bit of an air gap at the front of the mic which could only be good. My fear is that the 4 inch round rubber base being so close to the vents would create reflections.

I've wondered the same about the placement of that relatively large rubber disk in such close proximity.

And unfortunate to hear the Windcutter has yet to resume operations.  I was just about to try out some of their fuzzies last year when they closed shop.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.086 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com