Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Battery box questions  (Read 5956 times)

Offline Silver_Queen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Battery box questions
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2012, 05:07:45 PM »
I could get the SPLs up to where I wanted on high sensitivity at modest recording levels, but like I said, it came with more white noise than I'd like. Wouldn't more sensitive mics pick up even more white noise? Or is that me being a noob?
"Life is about love, last minutes and lost evenings, about fire in our bellies and about furtive little feelings, and the aching amplitudes that set our needles all a-flickering, and they help us with remembering that the only thing that's left to do is live."

- Frank Turner, 'I Knew Prufrock Before He Got Famous'

SP-BMC-12 > CA 9000 > M10 (Glen Hansard-approved!)

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2012, 05:21:45 PM »
I think the noise you are describing is the inherent self-noise of the mics.  Normally, that's not audible because the level of the signal is so much higher.  In this case, though, the signal is low so the self-noise becomes more apparent.  More sensitive mics will pick up more signal, so they will more effectively drown out that self-noise (assuming similar self-noise levels).  They will also pick up more ambient noise, but in proportion to the music level, so that won't be any more audible.

Offline Silver_Queen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2012, 07:39:03 PM »
Ah, okay, that makes sense. Thanks for the explanation!
"Life is about love, last minutes and lost evenings, about fire in our bellies and about furtive little feelings, and the aching amplitudes that set our needles all a-flickering, and they help us with remembering that the only thing that's left to do is live."

- Frank Turner, 'I Knew Prufrock Before He Got Famous'

SP-BMC-12 > CA 9000 > M10 (Glen Hansard-approved!)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.052 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com