Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What kind of mod should i do  (Read 2918 times)

Offline deadphishin420

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
What kind of mod should i do
« on: March 31, 2009, 07:17:27 PM »
i've been wanting to find out the answer to this question, and Im hoping some people who know what theyre talking about can help me out

First my rig:

AKG 391 blue lines(hypers) UA 5, edirol r09HR

While i was in hampton, another taper reccomended i get my UA-5 modded. i use the 1/4" outs into the line in into my r-09. would doing a MOD change the sound that way? or could i hook up the r09 from the usb out? i used a ps2/AD20 Formany years, and this is my first upgrade in a long time. i bought the UA5 off ebay, with no instructions or anything, so i kinda figured it all out on my own( i had a battery pack for it built that seems to work fine, but i was told theres better options.

I know Im all over the place, so i figured i would ask, and hopefully all of my questions will be answered

The other question i have is..i have a stealth set of SP cmc2a's. I used them in my mic in to record the crue at MSG( ihad the phantom power on as well). i used the regulator( i think its called) so it wouldnt clip. It came out okay, but not spectacular. im looking into possibly getting a new pair of stealth mics(the church recordings ive heard ,i like the samples) but i dont want to have to run a battery box as well. Is there any options of mics that can be just plugged into there without a battery box( my crotch can only fit so many things...) Any suggestions would be great as well. its frustrating getting a show recorded, only to not have a great sounding recording

i have tool from PNC in 07 i taped, it needs major cleanup. if anyone can fix it, i would appreciate it. ive been trying to fix it for almost 2 years, and i never can salvage it. Thats the show that made me buy my r-09( i was using a microtrack)

Thanks again for any help!!

marc
Akg 391 hyper/Akg 430 cardioid/akg c214 Omni/>sound devices mix pre 6

nameloc01

Re: What kind of mod should i do
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 07:25:23 PM »

You'll be able to get that help with that TOOL tape here :

www.collectiveunconscious.org

Go now.

Offline deadphishin420

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 08:13:22 PM »
i emailed the webmaster. Thanks for that!!

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 09:38:55 PM »
dp420 -- you may receive more/better responses to your 2nd question around mics / battery box and 3rd question about recording clean-up if you start dedicated threads in the appropriate forums (Mics & Setup + Computer Recording, respectively).
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline deadphishin420

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 09:46:54 PM »
Good call. Too many headies today...lol

Offline jeromejello

• Team Florida - always brings the heat
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • surly tapir
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 11:10:23 PM »
hey marc... i ran on the same stand as you at hampton...

imo, if you like the r-09hr, i would ditch the ua-5 and get a nice preamp.  the r-09hr has decent a/d conversion in the unit and can only take an analogue signal.  the ua-5, while a wonderful box (i had both a oade digi mod and bm2p+ mod) really only shines with digital out.  the unit doesnt have pass through so it converts the a > d and then d > a to send out the rca on the back.

i would suggest a sd mp-2 (or similar mixpre or shure fp24), aerco mp2, mini mp, v2/v3, wendt x2, sonosax, beyerdynamic mv100... some of these are currently for sale in the yard... the run anywhere from 300 - 1000...
open: mbho 603a (ka200n/ka500hn) > SD MP-2 > PCM-M10
stealth: AT853a (o/sc/c/h) > SD MP-2 > ihp120
misc: Earthworks SR77 | Shure VP88

bt & dime

Offline tgakidis

• Trade Count: (552)
    • My Recordings on the Archive:
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2009, 06:04:03 AM »
hey marc... i ran on the same stand as you at hampton...

imo, if you like the r-09hr, i would ditch the ua-5 and get a nice preamp.  the r-09hr has decent a/d conversion in the unit and can only take an analogue signal.  the ua-5, while a wonderful box (i had both a oade digi mod and bm2p+ mod) really only shines with digital out.  the unit doesnt have pass through so it converts the a > d and then d > a to send out the rca on the back.

i would suggest a sd mp-2 (or similar mixpre or shure fp24), aerco mp2, mini mp, v2/v3, wendt x2, sonosax, beyerdynamic mv100... some of these are currently for sale in the yard... the run anywhere from 300 - 1000...

I agree.  I run an R-09HR and have used it with a Mini MP, Aerco & V3 and have found the A>D in the R-09HR does a great job.  While using the UA-5 is fine, there is the multi conversion.  There are people who run analog out of UA-5's with fine results, but you would be better off with out the extra conversions.
GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics: Schoeps CMC6 x 4, Schoeps CMC1K x 2 / Schoeps KC 5G x 2 / Schoeps MK4,MK41,MK21,MK22 x 2 / Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+ / Telefunken TF-11 x 2 / Telefunken ELA M 260 x 4 / Telefunken M960FS x 2 / TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2 / Telefunken M60,TK60 x 2 / AKG c426b / AKG c34 / nBob AKG Actives>PFA x 4 / CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2 / AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Pres: Sonosax SX-AD8+ / Sonosax SX-M2D2 / Sonosax SX-M2 / Lunatec V3
Recs: Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.051 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com